Re: Sugar Bear to D-End | Syracusefan.com

Re: Sugar Bear to D-End

jekelish

Living Legend
One of my roommates at SU is from Detroit and started for a big time program that plays Southfield, and now assists at his alma mater. He watched Sugar Bear play against his alma mater last year and was impressed with him, so I asked him his opinion on Sugar Bear's transition to DE. I asked if he's the type of athlete with the frame to make an impact on D. I respect his opinion on football tremendously and this was his response:

"Yes. Thick frame. Had surprisingly good hands, but he can use those to get off blocks at DE. He was more athletic than I thought."

FYI

Has this been discussed in another thread? I was gone for a few days and saw the PS article but didn't see anything on here. I was wondering what people thought.

Has this been discussed in another thread? I was gone for a few days and saw the PS article but didn't see anything on here. I was wondering what people thought.

I think it's a good switch. I don't believe the TE will play as big a role in the McDonald offense as we've grown accustomed to seeing. We have decent talent at TE I think, and are thin at DE. Throw in that Sugar Bear seems to be a growing lad and he's still young in to his eligibility, and I think this is a really good move at the right time.

Look at it like this - we were all excited when we signed a 4 star tight end. We all would have gone nuts if instead of a 4 star TE we signed a 4 star DE. Well, we just signed a 4 star DE, kinda.

I think it's a good switch. I don't believe the TE will play as big a role in the McDonald offense as we've grown accustomed to seeing. We have decent talent at TE I think, and are thin at DE. Throw in that Sugar Bear seems to be a growing lad and he's still young in to his eligibility, and I think this is a really good move at the right time.

Look at it like this - we were all excited when we signed a 4 star tight end. We all would have gone nuts if instead of a 4 star TE we signed a 4 star DE. Well, we just signed a 4 star DE, kinda.
I'm all for it, if he's as good as the coach in the article made him sound. I'm sure the coaches won't move him there if he wouldn't have at least the same impact he could have on offense. I was interested to see what it would be like to have our very own Gronk in this new era of the TE, however. I'm curious how he feels about it.

I'm all for it, if he's as good as the coach in the article made him sound. I'm sure the coaches won't move him there if he wouldn't have at least the same impact he could have on offense. I was interested to see what it would be like to have our very own Gronk in this new era of the TE, however. I'm curious how he feels about it.

See, I can understand the Gronk appeal, but I don't think he's really the model. I think he's a mutant. Kind of like how it was a bad strategy in the NBA when teams tried to make a guy in to their own Jordan, I think the search for Gronk is a Holy Grail.

No, we're too busy talking about Rutgers to talk about our football team.:bat:

See, I can understand the Gronk appeal, but I don't think he's really the model. I think he's a mutant. Kind of like how it was a bad strategy in the NBA when teams tried to make a guy in to their own Jordan, I think the search for Gronk is a Holy Grail.
That's probably true. I hope we play him where he'll have the biggest impact and have the best chance at the NFL, and I hope he's happy with it.

One of my roommates at SU is from Detroit and started for a big time program that plays Southfield, and now assists at his alma mater. He watched Sugar Bear play against his alma mater last year and was impressed with him, so I asked him his opinion on Sugar Bear's transition to DE. I asked if he's the type of athlete with the frame to make an impact on D. I respect his opinion on football tremendously and this was his response:

"Yes. Thick frame. Had surprisingly good hands, but he can use those to get off blocks at DE. He was more athletic than I thought."

FYI

Thickburger..

I completely agree. Gronk is a great player and comes along every now and then. I believe this kid switching is better for the team (especially if he has the edge speed) and better for himself (immediate impact). No body enjoys a position change unless they ask for it which I don't feel he asked for but I believe he could be a potential man beast on the edge (IMO)

Thickburger..

Just want to acknowledge that we're now two years out, one board migration and one player with the Thickburger nickname playing a full season in the Association away from the first Thickburger post.

Yes, Thickburger has staying power. You're welcome.

it was mentioned in another thread that the move was due to him growing out of the TE position. He is up to 270 now. If he has kept the quickness and athleticism this could end up being great. I think Paris and Provo will prove to be very good at TE.

it was mentioned in another thread that the move was due to him growing out of the TE position. He is up to 270 now. If he has kept the quickness and athleticism this could end up being great. I think Paris and Provo will prove to be very good at TE.

Don't forget Batten!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom