Ready for a Girard/Richmond statistic that will blow your mind? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Ready for a Girard/Richmond statistic that will blow your mind?

It doesn‘t matter what any of us think. JB plays the guys he thinks gives him the best chance to win. That may mean Joe or Kadary plays anywhere between 15-35 minutes. Buddy will not play less than 35. If Joe or Kadary doesn’t think thats workable, they will both be in the portal. I would guess one or the other leaves.
Unfortunately, JB isn’t always right about who gives us the best chance to win.
[Yesterday was bizarre.]

Kadary took less 3s than you would in the 3 point shooting contest. Based on him going 7 for 21, there is a wide variation of outcomes if he shot the 150 3pa that Girard did. There is a 21% chance that he would make a quarter or less, with Girard there would just be a 4% chance.
Totally, I was alluding to a similar idea when I mentioned that going 3 for 3 in the tournament did wonders to get his percentage up.

Because before those three straight makes his percentage was... not good.

100% JB gives some guys the green light and others don't get that. I understand why he coaches this way but sometimes when guys have open looks and in the flow of offense you just have to take those good looks. If someone is always thinking about getting yanked for taking a good look (but might miss) then hes playing tentative and scared.
certain players can accept this and not let it impact their play. many cant.

IMO the overall effect of shackling players is minimally beneficial to the team at best.

its even worse when you look at some of the shot selection issues of players like jg3 and AG. if I am a player watching those guys gun and brick spastically and Im alos being told not to shoot open j's...it would bother me 100%

I think its also why you see the opponent get close at the end of games once the "hold the ball" strategy is implemented...this particular group did not take very well to instruction and strategy, imo...and/or the strategy givn them was less than effective.

I think Kadary and Joe are both good enough at basketball to contribute on an ACC contending team.

Kadary should start and play a lot but Joe should play 20+ consistently. And there is absolutely no reason that they shouldn’t 5-10 minutes together every game, Buddy doesn’t need to go 40.

I really don’t want Kadary to transfer. His ceiling is as high as we’ve had in a point guard in a while. It doesn’t seem like we should be too worried about it right now.

I also would be very sad if Joe leaves. As a dude from a small town up here who has always loved Syracuse it’s tons of fun to root for the little white kid from a Class B school that people don’t think belongs.

I can comprehend why he’s not everyone’s favorite but it’s wild to me that people want him to leave.

Hopefully Kadary realizes that his college experience in Syracuse to this point is nothing like what it will be next year and decides to stick around. And when he does that hopefully JB makes the necessary changes to the roles.

LGO

All im saying is the quality of looks were totally different. Joe had bad shot selection all year

Mostly of his own doing .. taking stupid shots from the logo early in the clock to look “cool”

I think this team would of been better overall at the guard positions if there was a better rotation between the three guards. I know JB is always going to play Buddy 37 minutes a game and if he is on fire like the first two tournament games then I'm all for it. But if Buddy plays like he did yesterday and many other games this year this rotation would benefit the team and keep them all fresh:
Buddy = 32 mpg and starts
Kadary = 28 mpg and starts
Joe = 20 mpg and subs for both the 1 & 2
I think this rotation could work next year if they all are back and JB could rest Buddy 4 minutes each half :)

I am one of the fans that thinks a 3-man rotation at guard is a very good thing for our team. Kadary has NBA level talent and had a good Freshman season. This was a very difficult year for Freshman to transition to college ball (see Kentucky and Duke). I see both Joe and Kadary as key contributors to this team. With that being said, this offseason will be a huge differentiating factor for the two players. I anticipate Kadary will work extremely hard to turn that potential into actualized skill on the court. Most players make their biggest jump from Freshman to Sophomore year. I am expecting Kadary will take the lead role at PG next season and likely turn himself in to a 1st round draft pick in next year's draft. I anticipate Joe will also make some great improvement over the offseason and he will be a key contributor next season and regain the starting PG role for his Senior season.

TOV% matters. In context. I don’t think I’d use a raw number to represent the truth of the matter, though.

As noted above, KaDary is doing more with the dribble and the passes. Higher reward, higher risk. And I expect that more minutes and experience would lessen his turnovers.

Kadary’s 3pt percentage is relevant because it illustrates he plays with recognition of what makes him a more efficient scorer. Joe is a shotgunner. Volume, volume, volume. But, you need both of them.
MCW was a huge part of a Final Four run with that TOV%. Scoop was another key part of one of the best SU teams in history that year.

My point was what I believe you're saying. It doesn't matter much without an understanding of how each player plays and what the whole ball of wax looks like.

I would actually argue that Girard, who is more of a shoot-first "PG", having that TOV% is more of an indictment on him before it says anything about Kadary.

100% JB gives some guys the green light and others don't get that. I understand why he coaches this way but sometimes when guys have open looks and in the flow of offense you just have to take those good looks. If someone is always thinking about getting yanked for taking a good look (but might miss) then hes playing tentative and scared.
Boeheim has said repeatedly that Kadary could hit outside shots and his shot was better than advertised. There are narratives that have taken hold that are just not true.

Boeheim has said repeatedly that Kadary could hit outside shots and his shot was better than advertised. There are narratives that have taken hold that are just not true.

a lot of them.

Joe has greater range and maybe a quicker release but Kadary looks smooth. I expect Kadary to be given the keys to the car next year with Joe backing up both guard positions because he's the only guy who can play both. Nothing else really makes any sense.

I am one of the fans that thinks a 3-man rotation at guard is a very good thing for our team. Kadary has NBA level talent and had a good Freshman season. This was a very difficult year for Freshman to transition to college ball (see Kentucky and Duke). I see both Joe and Kadary as key contributors to this team. With that being said, this offseason will be a huge differentiating factor for the two players. I anticipate Kadary will work extremely hard to turn that potential into actualized skill on the court. Most players make their biggest jump from Freshman to Sophomore year. I am expecting Kadary will take the lead role at PG next season and likely turn himself in to a 1st round draft pick in next year's draft. I anticipate Joe will also make some great improvement over the offseason and he will be a key contributor next season and regain the starting PG role for his Senior season.

I'm not sure that there is anybody who disagrees. An experienced, three player rotation would be ideal. The problem is more around whether Kadary is willing to not start another year [which seems very unlikely, as many have alluded to], or whether Joe would be willing to give up a starting role after starting his first two seasons in order to come off of the bench.

Best case scenario is that both return. Most likely scenario? Who knows. But I agree with you and many others that both the team's ceiling AND floor is much higher with Kadary running the point.

MCW was a huge part of a Final Four run with that TOV%. Scoop was another key part of one of the best SU teams in history that year.

My point was what I believe you're saying. It doesn't matter much without an understanding of how each player plays and what the whole ball of wax looks like.

I would actually argue that Girard, who is more of a shoot-first "PG", having that TOV% is more of an indictment on him before it says anything about Kadary.
This.

The difference is that Kadary turns the ball over while creating plays. Joe turns it over nearly as much while trying to be safe with the ball. The fact that their TO% is close to one another is an indictment of Girard.

Kadary designated as starting PG next season would raise fan excitement and ticket sales IMO.
Another season of big minutes for Joe at PG does nothing for me -not the right role.

What's best for the team always #1, but coaches/AD's should maintain awareness of the other important goal: raise fan engagement to bring in the $. A half-hearted attempt to retain Kadary does not support either goal. Don't expect JB on his knees, but #1 promise Kadary the keys, then address any other concern Kadary may have as best as reasonably possible.

Kadary puts defenders on their heels and opens up opportunities for teammates.
Kadary will bring the excitement and the W's, and he won't regret staying when he hears the Dome's appreciation!