Reason behind the Transfer Portal | Syracusefan.com

Reason behind the Transfer Portal

David332

All American
Can someone please explain to me why it exists; how did it come to be, and who exactly caused this change to happen?

I'm actually fine with the 1 year exemption. In given situations; can be beneficial for school, as well as the student-athlete. We've probably benefitted from the portal more than any school in the country. Can you imagine what the Orangewomen's basketball team would look like after 11 players transferring out, without the portal?

I'm actually fine with the 1 year exemption. In given situations; can be beneficial for school, as well as the student-athlete. We've probably benefitted from the portal more than any school in the country. Can you imagine what the Orangewomen's basketball team would look like after 11 players transferring out, without the portal?
I guess the counter-point is that the women's basketball team wouldn't have lost 11 players to begin with if the players still had to sit a year

But who pushed this, and why? Is this supposed to be some type of give back to student athletes?

I guess the counter-point is that the women's basketball team wouldn't have lost 11 players to begin with if the players still had to sit a year
I dunno about that. Wasn't it a case of something was rotten in the state of Denmark? Playing time is one thing, but abusive behavior might have caused these players to get out regardless of sitting a year.

Can someone please explain to me why it exists; how did it come to be, and who exactly caused this change to happen?
More to your question:
It exists because too many people got it in their heads that players should be able to transfer out of the program whenever they want without penalty, since coaches can go whenever they want.

Most non revenue sports had always allowed a free transfer. The last holdouts are catching up. And IMO, this was a really bad decision. There needs to be more controls in place on wonton transfers ...like no transferring in the middle of a season and only allowing non-freshmen to transfer without penalty

Kids can transfer for whatever reason now, from feeling they do not get enough playing time to feeling their talent is bigger than their current program. It's a mess. And I hate it

More to your question:
It exists because too many people got it in their heads that players should be able to transfer out of the program whenever they want without penalty, since coaches can go whenever they want.

Most non revenue sports had always allowed a free transfer. The last holdouts are catching up. And IMO, this was a really bad decision. There needs to be more controls in place on wonton transfers ...like no transferring in the middle of a season and only allowing non-freshmen to transfer without penalty

Kids can transfer for whatever reason now, from feeling they do not get enough playing time to feeling their talent is bigger than their current program. It's a mess. And I hate it
So basically it’s a student athletes right type of thing? Hopefully the existence of NIL will make it easier to tweek in the future. It needs to be altered IMO, not good for the game and not good for fans.

I dunno about that. Wasn't it a case of something was rotten in the state of Denmark? Playing time is one thing, but abusive behavior might have caused these players to get out regardless of sitting a year.
It was. But some players didn't necessarily feel mistreated as others did. Once some of the exodus started to happen, more players who were sitting on the fence jumped on board knowing they could land somewhere immediately. Think of Cardosa who was originally going to stay

Think of this scenario, an art student is on scholarship at School A and wants to transfer to School B and School A says, "sorry you need to sit out a year from studying art. We gave you a free year of education, housing and supplies, you can't leave without being penalized."

It sounds ridiculous!

Think of this scenario, an art student is on scholarship at School A and wants to transfer to School B and School A says, "sorry you need to sit out a year from studying art. We gave you a free year of education, housing and supplies, you can't leave without being penalized."
This is actually how Banksy ended up as a street artist.

So basically it’s a student athletes right type of thing? Hopefully the existence of NIL will make it easier to tweek in the future. It needs to be altered IMO, not good for the game and not good for fans.
How about the players. is it good for them? That is what matters. Down the line, we will have the answer to that question. It may not end up being good for them. But if it is good for them, that is what counts. Not that it hurts your viewing pleasure. When the portal works in your favor, my guess is you will like it a lot. Say we get two great O-lineman to come here next year?

How about the players. is it good for them? That is what matters. Down the line, we will have the answer to that question. It may not end up being good for them. But if it is good for them, that is what counts. Not that it hurts your viewing pleasure. When the portal works in your favor, my guess is you will like it a lot. Say we get two great O-lineman to come here next year?
that will remain to be seen if that happens.

BUT if your best skill guys go elsewhere then while it may be good for the one or two kids personally what if the response is to all this that a bunch of us fans say enough, not worth making it all a part of our lives, spending what we spend, invest the time and significant emotions we all do, this if there's no real chance of keeping the really good players/being good, real good or even great on the field.

The result...many many stop going supporting, many programs end up dying on the vine a slow death, the rich get richer on the field further expanding the gap between the haves and have nots just like in real life, so the poor get poorer/suck forever resulting in less and less opportunity for the majority of kids if this thing takes off and happens at a bunch of "have not" schools.

No thanks I'm done if Tucker and the Tuckers of the world bolt for perceived and maybe legit greener pastures for them, because if so I'm putting myself out to pasture as well. Attending more HS, div. 3 games and raking more leaves....

Last edited:

BUT if your best skill guys go elsewhere then while it may be good for the one or two kids personally what if the response is to all this that a bunch of us fans say enough, not worth making it all a part of our lives, spending what we spend, invest the time and significant emotions we all do, this if there's no real chance of keeping the really good players/being good, real good or even great on the field.

The result...many many stop going supporting, many programs end up dying on the vine a slow death, the rich get richer on the field further expanding the gap between the haves and have nots just like in real life, so the poor get poorer/suck forever resulting in less and less opportunity for the majority of kids if this thing takes off and happens at a bunch of "have not" schools.

No thanks I'm done if Tucker and the Tuckers of the world bolt for perceived and maybe legit greener pastures for them, because if so I'm putting myself out to pasture as well. Attending more HS, div. 3 games and raking more leaves...
Are there any D3 players that could play FBS level ball? Like in the Empire 8 league?

BUT if your best skill guys go elsewhere then while it may be good for the one or two kids personally what if the response is to all this that a bunch of us fans say enough, not worth making it all a part of our lives, spending what we spend, if there's no real chance of keeping the really good players/being good, real good or even great on the field.

No thanks I'm done if Tuckers and the Tuckers of the world bolt for perceived and maybe legit greener pastures for them, well if so I'm putting myself out to pasture as well. Attending more HS, div. 3 games and raking more leaves...
The situation as it stands now is bad for the sport as a whole and may end up bad for many who enter the portal. I too will no longer wish to follow a team if their best players continually take a hike, and that would apply to any college team not just SU.
The end result is revenues fall at all but a few programs, many programs will eventually fail resulting in fewer opportunities out of HS. This rule must be changed or something else will have to be done or any semblance of fair competition will be totally gone.

I don’t see how this is good for the sport at all.
Maybe it’s good for the student athlete, but in no way is it good for the sport.I work with fans of all different teams and have yet to hear anyone talk about how good it is for the sport. Maybe someone on here can enlighten me as to how this helps college football.

One way that the bigger programs will probably have an edge in this process - bigger, richer programs can afford to hire more staff, which is important when you're trying to assess hundreds of players in the transfer portal on top of the usual volume of high schoolers and junior college transfers.

No thanks I'm done if Tucker and the Tuckers of the world bolt for perceived and maybe legit greener pastures for them, because if so I'm putting myself out to pasture as well. Attending more HS, div. 3 games and raking more leaves... Should coaches have to stay a year? Every coach? Ass'ts as well as head coaches?

It sounds ridiculous!
What's crazier is a student entering something called a transfer portal, quitting all their art classes with a few weeks left in the semester, not being able to transfer mid-week to any school, they lose their credits so unable to transfer them and then walk away from a team they committed to for the semester losing their full scholarship and not knowing if any team or school will give them another one. That really sounds more ridiculous

I don’t see how this is good for the sport at all.
Maybe it’s good for the student athlete, but in no way is it good for the sport.I work with fans of all different teams and have yet to hear anyone talk about how good it is for the sport. Maybe someone on here can enlighten me as to how this helps college football.
How is this good for the student. It's all about the sport and nothing about the education. If it was they would just restrict portal notification until after the semester. No benefit to quitting a team and possibly school mid semester.

The NCAA has three priorities:
1) Make Money
2) Keep Money
3) Avoid Lawsuits.

I think the portal and NIL have to do with #3.
Short sighted if the case, who will be watching and contributing if all your best players leave and competition is skewed to a few major teams{even more than it already is}, all that tv money eventually dries up too. Who would want to watch totally uncompetitive games? not I.

Oh give me a break. How dare I, as a fan, talk about the fan experience? It’s so much more chic and savy to talk about the players and their experiences only. The games are televised for a reason.

Oh give me a break. How dare I, as a fan, talk about the fan experience? It’s so much more chic and savy to talk about the players and their experiences only. The games are televised for a reason.
How old are you? Are you really suggesting that kids shouldn't be able to transfer and play because it hurts your viewing pleasure? LOL It's their life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom