Rebounding and Defense | Syracusefan.com

Rebounding and Defense

Gotothehole

Starter
With Q gone.. We have to be the softest team in the ACC. Teams are going run though us like butter

Have you seen BC, Wake, Pitt’s rosters?

All you whiny beyatches need to step away from the interwebs for a month or 3.
You are defending this clown show. Who are we going to stop? This team has 0 athleticism

This will be the worst defensive zone team since we started playing it.
Agreed. It could be a Notre Dame-level poor defense. Sub-100 in KenPom. We better have a top 5 offense to offset that, and I don’t think we will because we don’t have anyone who can break guys down off the dribble and either find the open man or get to the rim. No bueno.

Compared to Quincy, Marek, Griffin — Williams is taller, maybe a match for Quincy except for rebounding; Edwards will be 25lbs heavier than Dolezaj, a better shot blocker and a much better rebounder (plus, Sidibe and Anselmo are better back-ups than what we had); and Cole is taller and stronger than Griffin.

Inside defense will be much improved, with better strength at center.

Compared to Quincy, Marek, Griffin — Williams is taller, maybe a match for Quincy except for rebounding; Edwards will be 25lbs heavier than Dolezaj, a better shot blocker and a much better rebounder (plus, Sidibe and Anselmo are better back-ups than what we had); and Cole is taller and stronger than Griffin.

Inside defense will be much improved, with better strength at center.
Agree. QG played bigger than his size, and his 8.4 rpg will be tough to replace. But I think we'll wind up being as good or better defensively. At PF (after adjustment), Benny's a jumping jack and is likely to pick up most of Quincy's rebounds and add shot blocking. At SF, I don't expect Swider or JimmyB to be windex guys (both come in with pedestrian rebounding stats). But they have more length, and I doubt they'll be any worse than Griff. So overall rebounding won't be any worse than last year at forward and our inside defense might actually improve with Benny's shot-blocking ability.

At center Sid's back. Even if he plays less than 20 mpg, we're bigger and stronger than last year. MD did his best OOP (5.1 rpg), but Sid's a superior defender and rebounder (7.5 rpg in 2019-20). Jesse and Frank are also very athletic and long, giving us back-up defense and rim protection. So improvement is likely at center ... no drop in experience and more strength, length and depth.

Overall I think we'll rebound the ball as well, maybe better. And we'll have better shot blocking and inside defense once the team picks up the zone rotations. No reason to panic.

Last edited:
“This clown show” hasn’t had a losing season in FIVE DECADES.

Made a nice run to the Sweet Sixteen.
And finished the season ranked.

I’m not gonna get pre-pissed off about things that haven’t happened yet.

But you have fun with that.

And the 3 quality athletes on that team are gone now, all having had eligibility remaining.

A healthy Sib is a game changer. He would not be coming back if he thought that he would be unhealthy. He could be a man among boys. Remember senior XMAS? Bigs are like fine wine, better with age.

Welcome to the Portal Era.

This is hardly a uniquely Syracuse thing.

Get used to it.
This is the New (ab)Normal.

Maybe so, but then you need to replace "like for like" players, or even upgrade a position.

We lost 4 plus athletes and added only 2. Net loss.

We did add 2 guys with good offensive skills. We'll see how it works out.

A healthy Sib is a game changer. He would not be coming back if he thought that he would be unhealthy. He could be a man among boys. Remember senior XMAS? Bigs are like fine wine, better with age.

My expectation for him next year is closer to older vintage DuJuan Coleman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom