Rebounding and Defense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rebounding and Defense

Where is the backup for the 2 spot?
Don’t answer a question with another question and don’t ask questions you know the answers to.

I’ll rephrase my question which you didn’t answer: Does SU have the most players in the portal? Are we top five? Top ten?

Who was the back up pt guard on our national runner up team in 1987? Who was the back up pt guard on our national runner up team in 1996. We have played with basically three guards for 44 years. And it's a big deal now? Joe is solid at back up 2 guard.

Who was the back up pt guard on our national runner up team in 1987? Who was the back up pt guard on our national runner up team in 1996. We have played with basically three guards for 44 years. And it's a big deal now? Joe is solid at back up 2 guard.

Agreed. Barring an injury, three is a viable backcourt rotation.

So you think Joe is Sherm Douglas or Laz Sims good?

Backups matter when the starters aren’t studs.
You play 3 when you have studs.
If we had MCW and Triche you don’t need depth.
When you have no penetrating guards and little ball handling in guards then yeah the bench matters.

If we can get Sherman Douglas okay.
We have may played 3 guards for 44 years but we have always had depth on the bench during that time.
We didn’t just have 3 guards which we do now.

That is the issue Dash. JB isn’t building good rosters for sustained good seasons.
We are grinding every season now for 7 years and that is on the HC.

So you think Joe is Sherm Douglas or Laz Sims good?

Backups matter when the starters aren’t studs.
You play 3 when you have studs.
If we had MCW and Triche you don’t need depth.
When you have no penetrating guards and little ball handling in guards then yeah the bench matters.

If we can get Sherman Douglas okay.
We have may played 3 guards for 44 years but we have always had depth on the bench during that time.
We didn’t just have 3 guards which we do now.

That is the issue Dash. JB isn’t building good rosters for sustained good seasons.
We are grinding every season now for 7 years and that is on the HC.
To be fair, Sims wasn’t good until his senior year and even then would have been backing up Michael Loyd.

Energy, enthusiasm and unity can make up for listlessness, apathy and selfishness.

pretty sure apathy and energy just cancel each other out.

One thing to only play 3 (which is fine), it's another to only have 3.

No argument there.

But if JB didn't play eventual NBA ROY MCW when he was the fourth guard, who's he going to bring in to be the 4th guy in a 3 guard rotation this offseason?

No argument there.

But if JB didn't play eventual NBA ROY MCW when he was the fourth guard, who's he going to bring in to be the 4th guy in a 3 guard rotation this offseason?
No clue. It just takes a single rolled ankle for a player to miss a week though. Then what? Don’t know nearly enough about Williams. Clearly our (3) centers aren’t ball handlers. Jimmy and Swider don’t have the versatility that Marek had, to my knowledge. Even last year, there was opportunity to move Woody or Griffin up top, if circumstances called for it (rarely done, but as a break glass option, we had it). Maybe Owens? It’s one thing to play (3) guards, it’s another thing to only have (3) guards, and it’s another thing to only have (3) guards and limited flexibility at the forward spot.

No clue. It just takes a single rolled ankle for a player to miss a week though. Then what? Don’t know nearly enough about Williams. Clearly our (3) centers aren’t ball handlers. Jimmy and Swider don’t have the versatility that Marek had, to my knowledge. Even last year, there was opportunity to move Woody or Griffin up top, if circumstances called for it (rarely done, but as a break glass option, we had it). Maybe Owens? It’s one thing to play (3) guards, it’s another thing to only have (3) guards, and it’s another thing to only have (3) guards and limited flexibility at the forward spot.

I think Jimmy can handle it. Don't think he's the passer Marek is.

I've posted recently about the need to have four guards if for no other reason than to make practices more competitive [being able to split them, and have guards scrimmage against legit scholarship guards]. Not sure why you're "arguing" at me about this -- would love to see them add one, but I don't know who they'd legitimately be able to get, or of what caliber.

I've posted recently about the need to have four guards if for no other reason than to make practices more competitive [being able to split them, and have guards scrimmage against legit scholarship guards]. Not sure why you're "arguing" at me about this -- would love to see them add one, but I don't know who they'd legitimately be able to get, or of what caliber.
No argument at all. Simple points made that happen to be included in an original reply to your post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom