Reclassifying: What am I missing? | Syracusefan.com

Reclassifying: What am I missing?

PoppyHart

All American
I don't get how this works. To wit, how you can just file a few documents and all of a sudden you're eligible to graduate.

While I know nothing about NN's, or any of the other re-classifiers situations, I highly doubt that these guys are academic prodigies who are so far ahead of their peers' graduation pace to essentially skip senior year.

I went to a top-tier high school and was surrounded by classmates who went to great universities. However, I can say without hesitation that neither I nor my classmates would have been anywhere near "on pace" to graduate following our junior years, even factoring in AP classes and other potential mitigators.

How has the high school education become so watered down?

I don't get how this works. To wit, how you can just file a few documents and all of a sudden you're eligible to graduate.

While I know nothing about NN's, or any of the other re-classifiers situations, I highly doubt that these guys are academic prodigies who are so far ahead of their peers' graduation pace to essentially skip senior year.

I went to a top-tier high school and was surrounded by classmates who went to great universities. However, I can say without hesitation that neither I nor my classmates would have been anywhere near "on pace" to graduate following our junior years, even factoring in AP classes and other potential mitigators.

How has the high school education become so watered down?
My daughter has enough credits (but not completed sequences ) to graduate after this year. She is a junior. The reclassifying is NCAA clearinghouse stuff to see if he is eligible next year

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

i only needed one course to graduate my senior year. All i would have had to do is take one summer school class, and i could have done it. Alas, i had no schools banging on the door for my sports prowess and wasn't mature enough to take advantage of it. I really don't think it is hard to do.

Seems like the distinction is between what the NCAA defines as graduating and what the high school does. At my high school, for example, you had to take 3 years of a foreign language, 4 years of math, 4 years of English, etc...

Putting aside the fact that no summer courses were offered, it's pretty hard to fit 4 years of anything into 3. But I guess a H.S. can make it's own requirements, subject to minimum state requirements.

If you start taking your math/science/foreign language in 8th grade you can bang out your 3 years of each by 10th grade. Once that is done you just need to double up on English/History in 11th - take the 11th grade version and the college level course as well. Either go with AP or take a couple courses at a local community college. Done deal - without summer school.

Those home school kids would have enough credits by 10th grade to graduate.

he repeated the year because of an injury I believe not academics
This here. Noel was going to stay a member of the class of 2013 because he didn't think he had healed and developed enough to play this coming season. But then Mike Hopkins called him and said that Fab Melo was suspended and wouldn't be returning for a senior season so there would definitely be room for him he felt he had developed his game enough to go to college and he reclassified.

As for academics, think I had 5 electives my senior year because I started regents level math and foreign language in 7th grade. If I had, as posted above, the maturity and direction to take advantage of that, I could have easily graduated a year earlier. It can happen if you're properly motivated and have someone showing you which corners you can cut and how.