Recruiting’s Biggest Bait-and-Switch: The Uncommittable Scholarship Offer | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting’s Biggest Bait-and-Switch: The Uncommittable Scholarship Offer

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard

Tennessee and Syracuse each distributed more than 440 offers this cycle, which is believed by industry experts to be a record. The Volunteers lead all major college programs in offers over this eight-year stretch (328 per year), followed by Louisville (323), Kentucky (291), Ole Miss (290) and Illinois (283). Rounding out the top 10 are Mississippi State (278), Nebraska (270), Indiana (268), Syracuse (254) and West Virginia (251).

Kind of a silly article.

Sounds like the meaning of the word “offer” is changing alongside the meaning of the words “verbal commitment” ... bottomline is the same as it always was: offer > verbal commitment > acceptance of commitment > signing > on campus

The process could be more regulated - but by who? It is what it is.

It’s just words. You could say “you’re our High Priority Super-Mega Recruit Offeree™️ this year*” and it’s the same as an offer.

*unless your grades are a mess or you have off field issues or our other offerree blows up and looks better

Tennessee and Syracuse each distributed more than 440 offers this cycle, which is believed by industry experts to be a record. The Volunteers lead all major college programs in offers over this eight-year stretch (328 per year), followed by Louisville (323), Kentucky (291), Ole Miss (290) and Illinois (283). Rounding out the top 10 are Mississippi State (278), Nebraska (270), Indiana (268), Syracuse (254) and West Virginia (251).

A number of those offers from these schools are to the same players, especially those 4* and 5* players, and the high 3* players, too. They're definitely "committable". "Uncommittable" offers usually go out to low 3* and 2* players.

rule #1 for the player , when offered ask if is committable right then and there , players often don't ask , when you ask you put the coach on the spot right then and there
And then the coach would tell the kids that they need to come to a camp for evaluation and/or they have to evaluate their grades first semester senior year to make sure they qualify.

rule #1 for the player , when offered ask if is committable right then and there , players often don't ask , when you ask you put the coach on the spot right then and there
Good approach. That is a great way to see how honest and ethical the coach is.

Ok but that tells the kid right there not to count on that offer
Agreed.
If the coaches only say “as long as your grades are in order” then it appears to be a “legit” offer.

And then the coach would tell the kids that they need to come to a camp for evaluation and/or they have to evaluate their grades first semester senior year to make sure they qualify.
Yep.

We NEVER actually thought of any offer as iron-clad until we received the offer letter to sign and fax in on NLI day.
You were a little later in the recruiting cycle. I think kids can realize the offer is commitable once they get that written offer.

You were a little later in the recruiting cycle. I think kids can realize the offer is commitable once they get that written offer.

True, regarding the several late-coming P5 schools (except Syracuse). But, we pretty much felt the same way concerning all of the G5s, as well. Except South Alabama.

Matter of fact, the only two guys we trusted were Scott Shafer and Joey Jones.

So, to be really accurate, the only offers we considered "iron-clad" were to SU and SA. The others? Not so much.

It's all an irrelevant sideshow until the NLI is signed and received by the school. It's all such a turn-off to me that I don't follow our recruiting in any sport. And when folks comment before or after signing day along the lines of this player is better than/not as good as that other one my reaction 99.99999% of the time is, "Oh, okay."

Here's something else. It's not like 400 offers go out on February 1. It's a dynamic situation where kids commit to other programs or show a general level of disinterest and the staff moves on.

Here's something else. It's not like 400 offers go out on February 1. It's a dynamic situation where kids commit to other programs or show a general level of disinterest and the staff moves on.
And then there are the ones that don't qualify academically.

This article has a heavy slant. Are there issues with offers not being commitable, sure. But the statistics provided dont help prove that this is an issue. Very amateur way of using data to illustrate a problem that isn’t all that ironclad in the data.

download.jpeg

Schools like SU have to do this.

my new favorite thing is watching schools hold signings for kids going to D3 to play. I love d3, but that dramatic is a little over the top.

Agreed.
If the coaches only say “as long as your grades are in order” then it appears to be a “legit” offer.
If you have grade issues in high school it’s your own fault you get a C if you do ALL your homework, no lie ! and when you know a paid scholarship is on the line and still fail SMH

This article has a heavy slant. Are there issues with offers not being commitable, sure. But the statistics provided dont help prove that this is an issue. Very amateur way of using data to illustrate a problem that isn’t all that ironclad in the data.
Indeed. So many of those offers are to all of the same kids. It's a game of musical chairs. Sit down , or lose it.

If a staff is giving an uncommittable offer, at the time of the offer? Thats complete BS. Pulling an offer days before signing day, is also BS. I believe the early signing day is there to help the kids , in the event a school is not honoring it's word.

Recruits share some blame. They want offers like pelts. They want to commit in a big ceremony, on the final day... Leaving coaches, and other recruits with last minute problems. Recruiting is dirty, and many kids are completely clueless. I'm all for the early signing period.