Recruiting 2019-2021 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2019-2021

some ideas on the theory of recruitment: 1. kids must meet and talk to a coach or a notable representative of a coach. In other words, close personal contact must be established with a coach or a star veteran player like Powell, Gait, etc. in the initial stages of recruitment. Here is where the coach's or rep's age comes in. Why does everybody talk about age when asking for change? One of the answers must be the kids relate better to young coaches than to older ones. Starsia comes to mind. Fine coach. Generations too old. Arguable I know.

2. Personal contact with the initial rep should be frequent and continuous to NLI. Here is where trust and good faith matter. Assessing the strength of commitment prime concern.

3. Generating a social network among current players, recruits, veteran players, etc. to the extent that a kid who wavers might feel the pressure from his network, albeit unstated, to remain committed.

4. Ask that the early recruit be responsible for supporting, informing, listening to, and maintaining the morale of a newer recruit.

I think this leads to the idea that the more interconnected a recruit, the less likely he is to de-commit. It also engenders a sense that the responsible recruit is invested in the team's success.

So, the theory is that the closer a recruit feels to the team members, coaches, fellow recruits, acclaimed veterans, who by the way provide key connections in the stories they can tell recruits about the history of the team, the more likely he is to want to stick around.

So, when a recruit claims he had de-commited because the coaches did not seem interested enough, I think we should take it seriously, but I think we should also take it to mean that the complicated web of connections broke down or never coalesced. Phone calls from staff are not the only elements.

I have the feeling that as important as money, current team success, school reputation, etc. are to a recruit's decisions, the interpersonal connections are more important.

Hard to accept these arguments when the four opted for talent laden teams where they may not see time. Had they chosen Jacksonville, Marquette, or other second tier teams, I might buy it. Criticism is not necessarily panic. Transfers are to be expected. Not four of the best in 2 months. World will not end. Team may be very good. I doubt it, but that will be a surprise to no one.

If Duke and UVA don’t make very deep runs in the next two years, what does that say about loaded classes ?

If Duke and UVA don’t make very deep runs in the next two years, what does that say about loaded classes ?

It’ll mean the IL rankings are garbage. It won’t be for lack of good coaching.

Tend to take these IL rankings with a grain of salt but appears that our 19 class may not be as strong as the last few classes . Team outlook still fine for next few years given current talent but underlying shifts are somewhat foreboding. . NYS hs lax no longer the widest talent pool, the better academic schools are vacuuming up the five stars these days with few exceptions and migration patterns tilt south while other large d1's are putting forth more resources and emphasis to truly competing. Still time to restock our 20 class to alleviate some worry but the current trend is not our friend.

Men's Division I-2019 - League | Inside Lacrosse

I like the three longpoles. I never project goalies to college, but these two goalies seem highly regarded. Hopefully SU hits on at least one of these FOGOs. I like Donnelly. I would wait until after their HS senior year to evaluate the class.

I would say at this point, for the '19 and '20 classes, I have high hopes for Lewandowski, Page, Hay and White. The rest to me are total toss-ups. I don't want to spend the whole off-season harping on what just transpired with the four who left, but it feels like a huge hole has just opened up in the program. It won't be felt this year or the next, but it feels like the team lost an entire recruiting class, if you factor in how many guys from one single class actually end up playing. Hopefully some of these guys who are coming in are "diamond in the rough" types. Obviously the coaching staff has done an excellent job of building up guys who were not the most sought after high school players. We shall see, but I am very nervous of the direction of the program right now.

I like the way and the amount that the coaches are using freshmen in games the two-three years. I think it's definitely related to the lack of talent in the HS grad classes of 2013 (Jordan Evans' class) and 2014 (Pat Carlin's class). If you look at the current sophomore and junior classes, those guys have played a lot. There aren't many guys who haven't played. Is SU getting better at identifying players who can play for them or is it just the lack of upper class talent?

PF, regarding your post, I also think Shaffer Woody is supposed to be pretty good.