Recruiting 2019-2021 | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2019-2021

Isn’t Aburn an attackman too?
Aburn will be 20 years old this December. He didn't really have a whole lot of production at Boys Latin. He committed to SU a long time ago, so back then he may have looked like someone who could play at this level, but with the information that's available to us, I can't put him in the top 5 or 6 going forward.

I also didn't include J.T. Stirpe. I think he's a lefty. I don't know how good he is.

Like I say in the Aviles thread. I will cheer for Aburn and I hope he succeeds.

He looked pretty good against Binghamton in October. I wouldn’t write him off

I have watched Aburn play in 8 to 10 games over the past 3 years. I literally could not find him on the field during his soph year, although he started most games. He seemed to be relieved when he could find someone to pass to almost immediately after catching it. Rarely during any of those games, did he show interest in attacking the goal. He could score in close when the ball showed up in his stick, after which he returned to invisibility. He played for very good teams with lots of D1 players. He never appeared to belong in the top six or seven. However, the coach left him out there, which shows why I'm sitting at my computer not on the lacrosse field. I hope I have misjudged him and he rubs my nose in this stuff. I'll pull for him through his whole career.

Not going to stick out but he appears to be a fundamentally sound player who sees the field well and makes the plays to be made. Saw him make a very timely pass off a turnover by opponent for goal at UPenn. Simple yet impressed by decisiveness. Winner Within by Riley talked about the importance of balance of role players and stars to winning . See how it unfolds for many.

If Aburn makes an impact it's probably going to be as an off-ball player. The coaches put a big emphasis on intelligence on the field, so if Aburn runs the offense well and can get open inside, he may see some time.

Seth Thornton played in the fall, but is no longer on the roster. No face-off guys in the freshmen class; Thomas Washington ended up at Marquette.

With Nick Martin, they have four guys who can faceoff. If that’s not enough for one season, something has gone horribly wrong.

With Nick Martin, they have four guys who can faceoff. If that’s not enough for one season, something has gone horribly wrong.

Not trying to be that guy but 2 of the four aren't D1 faceoff guys at least at this point . If we have to rely on Martin to take a significant number of draws at any point this year were in disastrous trouble.

I was REALLY high on Thomas Washington after watching his highlights & the stats he put up on the summer circuit against the country's top clubs with Nation United. I have no doubt that he will become a top 10-15 FO guy nationally at Marquette. Big loss. Add the apparent loss of Thornton & this is quite worrisome.

I think Phaup will be a nice change of pace guy. He’s small but really quick, and he scraps for loose balls. His quickness will cause trouble for other teams

I was REALLY high on Thomas Washington after watching his highlights & the stats he put up on the summer circuit against the country's top clubs with Nation United. I have no doubt that he will become a top 10-15 FO guy nationally at Marquette. Big loss. Add the apparent loss of Thornton & this is quite worrisome.
I wouldn't read too much into Thornton no longer being on the roster. I've heard from multiple sources that he the coaches had major concerns about his partying.

I wouldn't read too much into Thornton no longer being on the roster. I've heard from multiple sources that he the coaches had major concerns about his partying.

Not partying enough?

We do have standards here. :p

I think Phaup will be a nice change of pace guy. He’s small but really quick, and he scraps for loose balls. His quickness will cause trouble for other teams

A former hs wrestler Phaup was the primary backup in fall ball and fared ok.

Jeremy is correct about depth, can not be measured by sheer numbers alone. Precarious to go into season depending our clear primary , Varello, staying healthy. Last year, Deslisle despite a low win % was a competent backup and could be inserted whenever a different look was warranted. . Phaup needs to be that guy since even the best fogos get geared down when overused.

Like Washington, Thornton is very athletic, could play middle if not a fogo but has been working hard at the trade He's a good teenage kid so no further washwoman stories needed, hopefully he returns to fold.

There was some talk that the Aussie fogo in World Games was interested in Cuse but Cornell landed him. Their glaring weakness is now well covered with that addition as well as another older fogo and the return of Raminowic.