Recruiting 2019-2021 | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2019-2021

That's right! I forgot about Staats! SU has recruited defensemen pretty well. I hope there isn't a huge drop off on defense next year. I think with Porter and so many SSDMs back, plus Mellen limiting the opponent's top threat, that the defense will be solid.

SU will have some interesting decisions to make at close next year. Mellen is clearly a lock but after that there are multiple options. Kennedy is a terror in the open field but opponents have adjusted to him when he gets in the offensive end and he has looked really good when bumped down to close a few times this year. With a couple of highly rated LSM's coming in next fall and Fernandez back I wouldn't be shocked if Kennedy saw more time at close as I believe he will take over as the lock down defender the following year when Mellen graduates. If Kennedy plays close you have Murphy/Staats/Dipetro battling for the third spot with Kennedy's younger brother and Frosh Zack Lee in the mix as well. Don't know a ton about Owen Hull who is a frosh this year and I think is red-shirting.

Zach Lee looks really nice. Big frame with a great deal of speed as well. I think he has a solid shot at taking on the role of Cunningham when he arrives here, but it is obviously impossible to tell if he will need some time to adjust to the D1 game. Mellen certainly didn't and I believe even Cunningham got some run as a freshman off the bench. Kennedy Fernandez and Fusco were also able to start right away. Freshman playing time seems more common for us on defense compared to offense for whatever reason. I have a feeling he could start for us out of the gate or at least see some playing time.

Never was a huge fan of Depietro who always struck me as a tad too slow and a fairly poor decision maker on team defense. However he is certainly strong and hopefully has taken some time in his year off to get a sense of how to improve in slides and other aspects of team defense. His experience should make him a strong contender for one of the two open spots. The main issue could be his health.

Murphy is a big strong bruiser who has put some vicious hits on other teams this year. I imagine the 2 years of short stick D will have a similar effect to practicing your baseball swing with a weighted bat. That bat will certainly feel lighter and ready for some home runs when you have a long pole in your hand after 2 years. The tough spot could be team defense, where he did make some mistakes against Army. That was understandable in that game since he was thrown into it last minute, and it's not necessarily a weak part of his game. He looked great in 1 v 1 situations. I am a big fan of his this year.

Staats for me is a total enigma. I have only really seen him play in some of the worlds tourney games. He did not look all that great but who really could when you are going up against Rob Pannell with severe jet lag? My friend who was on the OCC staff last year says that at the very least he has godly stick skills and is great in transition. These are not as important as team and 1v1 defense. Also health is a very legitimate concern. Clearly the Staats family tree struggles with bad knees. Austin and Randy Staats both seem to be lifetime knee brace wearers, perpetually at risk of taking a year off.

My gut is saying it's Mellen/Murphy/DePietro to start. Lee getting some time would not be too surprising. DePietro is probably the one who will have to fight the most to stay in the starting lineup. Still don't see Kennedy moving down. Fernandez is not as strong as he is in 1v1 middie D and it is crucial to have someone up top who has Kennedy's level of skill to take out the number 1 middie threat. Moving him down would make me very uneasy when we go up against the Aitkens and Nakie Montgomerys of the world. Maybe that would be a more intriguing option when Mellen leaves. Fusco leaving also hurts depth there.

Any potential SU recruits or must have recruits?

2020 Class
Matt Bradford – Jamesville-Dewitt
Tyler Brang – Jamesville-Dewitt
Charles Broas – St. Francis
Chad Bach – Lowville
Parker Bossard – Geneva
Sam Bonacci – CBA Syracuse
Kyle Caves - Liverpool
Ben Hammond – Fayetteville-Manlius
Jagger Kerr – Geneva
Quinn Peters – Baldwinsville
Jack Rice – Oswego
Jack VanValkenburg – Fayetteville-Manlius

2021 Class
Tanner Burns – Jamesville-Dewitt
Will Delano – Westhill
Josh Demko – Carthage
Johnny Keib – Jameville-Dewitt
Jamo MacLachlan – Jamesville-Dewitt
Jacob Moran – Central Square
Scott Reeves – Jamesville-Dewitt
Alex Rosa – West Genesee
Luke Stratton – Fayetteville-Manlius
Matt Welch – Marcellus

2022 Class
Brody Coleman - Cazenovia
Carter Kempney – Carthage
Patrick Linton – West Genesee
Jackson Palumb – East Syracuse Minoa
EJ Vasile – Calvert Hall
James Tully – West Genesee

I'd take that list with a grain of salt. Bunch of kids on there didn't stand out at all and were pretty much MIA. And some kids really balled out who are not on the list. Me thinks politics are a bit in play here.

SU didn't recruit or offer him as far as I know. Kids a nice player but he's going to be hard pressed to see any significant time at a major D1 school.
Just to clarify my prior comment, he is a 2021 so he has time. One of three 2021's on this year's team. Pole from Pittsford and middie from St Joe's as well.

Just to clarify my prior comment, he is a 2021 so he has time. One of three 2021's on this year's team. Pole from Pittsford and middie from St Joe's as well.

Sheehan? Pretty sure he's a 2020.

Keib is a 2021 and definitely one to keep an eye on. He's a higher end offensive guy who could/should take another step next spring.

Any potential SU recruits or must have recruits?

2020 Class
Matt Bradford – Jamesville-Dewitt
Tyler Brang – Jamesville-Dewitt
Charles Broas – St. Francis
Chad Bach – Lowville
Parker Bossard – Geneva
Sam Bonacci – CBA Syracuse
Kyle Caves - Liverpool
Ben Hammond – Fayetteville-Manlius
Jagger Kerr – Geneva
Quinn Peters – Baldwinsville
Jack Rice – Oswego
Jack VanValkenburg – Fayetteville-Manlius

2021 Class
Tanner Burns – Jamesville-Dewitt
Will Delano – Westhill
Josh Demko – Carthage
Johnny Keib – Jameville-Dewitt
Jamo MacLachlan – Jamesville-Dewitt
Jacob Moran – Central Square
Scott Reeves – Jamesville-Dewitt
Alex Rosa – West Genesee
Luke Stratton – Fayetteville-Manlius
Matt Welch – Marcellus

2022 Class
Brody Coleman - Cazenovia
Carter Kempney – Carthage
Patrick Linton – West Genesee
Jackson Palumb – East Syracuse Minoa
EJ Vasile – Calvert Hall
James Tully – West Genesee

For the 2020 class not really. Caves and a few others are on the radar but I don't think SU is really after any of them to be honest. I believe they like Van Valkenburg but their pretty set at that position. 2021 class Keib and Rosa are ones to keep an eye on along with Stratton. Delano is a good player but I don't beleive he has higher end D1 upside at least not at this point. 2022 is a crapshoot at this point.

Sheehan? Pretty sure he's a 2020.

Keib is a 2021 and definitely one to keep an eye on. He's a higher end offensive guy who could/should take another step next spring.
He is a indeed a ‘20 I believe. Really like Keib, hopefully he continues to put on size/increase athleticism in order to add on to his advanced skill set.

2019 US All-Americans Announced -

New England - Blake Ulmer - 2019 - Goalie
New Jersey - Tom Drago - 2020 - Defense
New York - Liam Ferris - 2020- Attack
New York - Max Rosa - 2019 - Midfield
New York - JT Stripe 2019 - Midfield
North Carolina - Shaffer Woddy - 2019 - Midfield
Oregon - Marshal McGuire - 2019 - Midfield
Pennsylvania - Zach Lee - 2019 - Defense

Apologies if I missed anyone!

2019 Boys High School Awards

2020's Duffy (G) and Savage (FO) both made the list! Surprised no Erlbeck on that list.
Sometimes its just a matter of a coach not doing the necessary paperwork with some very deserving names never getting submitted. On the other hand, some are handed out like candy

2020's Duffy (G) and Savage (FO) both made the list! Surprised no Erlbeck on that list.

Erlbecks a top 100 kid that's flying under the radar big time if thats somehow possible. While I hated to lose those decommits especially since about half were top 30 kids, getting a guy like him shortly after was far from a consolation prize. There is some real talent in that 2020 class.

I'm not real high on Erlbeck, but I'd really like to see a full game from his junior season. If you watch highlights of his HS team's games from this season, which they won almost all of, he's on the field for the goals, but he's not making the play very often. His HS team had a lot of talent, so he could be taking a role that allows others to have the ball more. He was a consistent scorer for the West at the UA underclass games, so that's promising.

2019 July IL Invitational: Day 1 Standings, Recaps and Stars

Player to Watch
Ray Dearth, M, Express North Reda
One of the most sought-after uncommitted players at the event (though that could change soon), the younger brother of Cal (Boston U) and Peter (Syracuse) showed out as a midfielder for the shot clock era. A state champion at Ridgefield (Conn.), Dearth is a good on-ball defender, excellent between the lines and a really good dodger.

I believe SU is on him but I don't have anything concrete.

SU didn't recruit or offer him as far as I know. Kids a nice player but he's going to be hard pressed to see any significant time at a major D1 school.

I don't know if he'll see significant time or not but I know for a fact Yale recruited him to. So there's something they liked.

I don't think they were interested in Syracuse but that's only an opinion from connecting dots.

I don't know if he'll see significant time or not but I know for a fact Yale recruited him to. So there's something they liked.

I don't think they were interested in Syracuse but that's only an opinion from connecting dots.

I can't speak to his interest if any in SU, just sharing what I was told by someone who is connected on the local HS Scene. He felt Spencer Werthem from Bville had a much better shot of seeing significant minutes eventually at Cornell.