Recruiting: A fool’s errand | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting: A fool’s errand

OburgOrange

Living Legend
With the emergence of NIL and the portal , schools like Syracuse don’t have a chance. A lot of resources are spent (time, money, effort) in recruiting kids. Syracuse has always ranked last, or close to it , in recruiting ratings since joining the ACC. Now that the best OL players can make 50k a year playing for Texas, or 1.5M playing for Deion Sanders, why wouldn’t they? And, if they do choose us, they can enter the portal without even playing a down. It’s a very sad state of affairs for CFB.

Go ahead and flame away

With the emergence of NIL and the portal , schools like Syracuse don’t have a chance. A lot of resources are spent (time, money, effort) in recruiting kids. Syracuse has always ranked last, or close to it , in recruiting ratings since joining the ACC. Now that the best OL players can make 50k a year playing for Texas, or 1.5M playing for Deion Sanders, why wouldn’t they? And, if they do choose us, they can enter the portal without even playing a down. It’s a very sad state of affairs for CFB.

Go ahead and flame away

If they can make 1.5 mil at Jackson state there is no reason with the right coach they can’t make that in Syracuse

This is where Syracuse needs to reach out to Adam Weitsman and have him touch base with his contacts about getting kids dollars and offering them bags to come to Cuse.

It’s just up to Cuse if they want to get into this game or not

If they can make 1.5 mil at Jackson state there is no reason with the right coach they can’t make that in Syracuse

This is where Syracuse needs to reach out to Adam Weitsman and have him touch base with his contacts about getting kids dollars and offering them bags to come to Cuse.

Agree

I’m out on that type of business. I don’t want to get my hopes up about Syracuse playing in that world.

I went to Syracuse for an education. If the school doesn’t want to run a professional athletics dept I’m ok w that. This is all crazy now

Let's hire Danica Patrick as HC and get some Go Daddy money! Or did that train already sail?

It's not school money.

It's Barstool money.

Go ahead and flame away
I think you lack imagination.

Why wouldn’t we be a good destination? NIL can work in our favor, portal too. Lot of tools to be used that are new. Too early to write our obit.

I’m out on that type of business. I don’t want to get my hopes up about Syracuse playing in that world.

I went to Syracuse for an education. If the school doesn’t want to run a professional athletics dept I’m ok w that. This is all crazy now
It’s the same stuff that was under the table for 40 years. There’s a reason the SEC has been good. Jimbo Fisher said it in plain language yesterday.

It’s legal now and if we don’t want to play it’s not because we’re too righteous to cheat. Build relationships that are advantageous. Get creative.

"That world" has always existed, my friend. It's just now public information. If you think schools making hundreds of millions of dollars hasn't been professional athletics for decades already, you're mistaken. Adapt or die.

Syracuse is done. They won’t pay out a coaches contract with 5/6 losing seasons why does anyone expect them to get into the gun for hire business in sports. Nil and the portal will destroy small schools. Our days of p5 sports is numbered. Leaving the student athlete model is going to kill the sports we love. What needs to happen is a minor league level to come out of this and let the players who are good enough to play in it go there and let the rest go to school and play sports. I’m okay with the drop off as long as college sports go back to how it was.

Win games

Cincy’s about to pull in a top 35 class.

There’s zero reason why our staff shouldn’t be able to recruit on par with peer p5’s.

Win games.

We cannot use the “oh well we’re a private Northeastern school going up against the big dogs” as a crutch.

Winning products, good education and a solid staff bring in recruits.

"That world" has always existed, my friend. It's just now public information. If you think schools making hundreds of millions of dollars hasn't been professional athletics for decades already, you're mistaken. Adapt or die.
It won’t stay at the level it was, this will lead to a free for all and the haves will have more while the rest will not. We will see 10 schools dominate and the rest will flounder. Does anyone really want to follow a team with zero chance

It's not school money.

It's Barstool money.

Yeah I’m well aware.

That’s why I said, contact Adam Weitsman to contact his connections to offer bags to kids that we want.

It won’t stay at the level it was, this will lead to a free for all and the haves will have more while the rest will not. We will see 10 schools dominate and the rest will flounder. Does anyone really want to follow a team with zero chance
"We will see 10 schools dominate" like how we ALREADY see the same teams in the playoff every year? It has always been this way, and will continue to be this way. These issues are at a larger scale than the past, but schools have always had to overcome these barriers to compete, this is no different. Larger schools with more money have always had recruiting advantages in the past. The fact that this is public does not change that the landscape has always, and will always, be like this.

It's about adapting to what is allowed in order to create an opportunity to compete on this level, i.e. utilizing the Cuse brand with guys like Weitsman to take advantage of what you CAN do now.

I don’t see how NIL changes the climate for us.

Kids were getting paid and unfairly offered benefits before by the same big schools we complain about now.

If anything imo this evens the playing field. If we just won damn games, Sean Tucker and other unique players like Black and Shrader could intrigue social media NIL deals too.

Kids were getting paid and unfairly offered benefits before by the same big schools we complain about now.

If anything imo this evens the playing field. If we just won damn games, Sean Tucker and other unique players like Black and Shrader could intrigue social media NIL deals too.
Well Mr Sanders stunt with barstool so pissed off Florida State, they already have proposed NIL regulations in the Florida State House.

While there’s always been “bags”, kids weren’t making $1m+ nor all OL getting $50k.

Well Mr Sanders stunt with barstool so pissed off Florida State, they already have proposed NIL regulations in the Florida State House.
Thats a unique leveraging of NIL due to Sanders’ ties to Barstool but there’s no reason we can’t leverage NIL too.

Had NIL hit in 2016 rather than this year, we would have seen dividends after Dungey’s 2017 season I am sure.

Go ahead and flame away
Majority of guys you are talking about aren't realistic for us anyway. Bigger problem is that we are still getting out-recruited by teams like Indiana, Iowa State, Boston College, Purdue, Oregon State and others that are in the same tier as us without any major advantages. We aren't getting the number 1 kid or beating Texas for any O-lineman so all of that is basically irrelevant. We are getting smoked by peer programs for the 3rd tier kids and that's the actual problem.

While there’s always been “bags”, kids weren’t making $1m+ nor all OL getting $50k.
Aside from Ewers and the Jackson St kid, how many others are being given 1m deals? Those are true blue chip kids that 999/1000 sure, we’d never have a shot at anyways.

Syracuse is done. They won’t pay out a coaches contract with 5/6 losing seasons why does anyone expect them to get into the gun for hire business in sports. Nil and the portal will destroy small schools. Our days of p5 sports is numbered. Leaving the student athlete model is going to kill the sports we love. What needs to happen is a minor league level to come out of this and let the players who are good enough to play in it go there and let the rest go to school and play sports. I’m okay with the drop off as long as college sports go back to how it was.
Because it’s not the admin that should be doing it? The fans and boosters are driving NIL everywhere else. Syracuse boosters have proven they don’t care about football (and barely care about basketball - thanks weitsman) so if people really want this team to be successful, the boosters better start coughing up some dough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom