Recruiting Hawaii | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Hawaii

javadoc

All American
I see that we are starting to hand out offers to kids in Hawaii. I just checked the bowling green roster and there are no Hawaii kids on it. Did DFB try to recruit Hawaii at BGSU?

Could be a noteworthy development.

I dunno... HI kids that want colder weather can go to a plethora of Pac12 schools...
As well as BYU...

I see that we are starting to hand out offers to kids in Hawaii. I just checked the bowling green roster and there are no Hawaii kids on it. Did DFB try to recruit Hawaii at BGSU?

Could be a noteworthy development.

Its very interesting, not sure how much talent comes outta there year to year, but through the years, players of Pacific islander decent have made a nice impact on college and pro football. Esp. On the D and O lines. Some studs. Nice to see recruiting have no boundaries. And the fact Dino played at UH cant hurt either. This 4* qb seems like a stud.

Seems like a waste of resources unless there is some connection with the player and Syracuse.
I seem to recall that same argument about recruiting Texas and other southern states.

I dunno... HI kids that want colder weather can go to a plethora of Pac12 schools...
As well as BYU...
Looking at some of the kids offered it seems they have relatives playing for schools like Bama and Notre Dame. Or played for Mich St. There's never anything lost by offering some of the top talent in the country.

I seem to recall that same argument about recruiting Texas and other southern states.
West of the east coast I can only think of one kid on the roster from the south (Clark). I think lacrosse might have had better luck.

West of the east coast I can only think of one kid on the roster from the south (Clark). I think lacrosse might have had better luck.
Isn't Cole Murphy from CA? Couple kids from WI, IIRC. And a couple from IL or IN, maybe.

Babers has added support personnel since he took over. With a larger staff there should be a wider net cast. Our resources are more plentiful then they have been in the past.

What I should have said is that there isn't a lot of cost or use of resources in extending an offer to these kids. And what is there to lose in offering? It's all the same as offering kids across the border in Canada or anywhere in the US. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If they need someone to tag along on an in home visit, I'll gladly offer my services! What can I say, I'm magnanimous.

I think something that some who are saying recruiting these kids is a waste of time are missing is that like some of the top Canadian kids some of these kids from Hawaii are relocating to High Schools on the mainland so that they can get more exposure. That tells me they aren't content to play for Hawaii, schools on the West Coast or other schools that have traditionally recruited them.

This is far from a waste of time lol. These kids are top 100 in their class. It's called good recruiting. LOL waste of time...sigh I need more coffee

Its very interesting, not sure how much talent comes outta there year to year, but through the years, players of Pacific islander decent have made a nice impact on college and pro football. Esp. On the D and O lines. Some studs. Nice to see recruiting have no boundaries. And the fact Dino played at UH cant hurt either. This 4* qb seems like a stud.
I like your comment, "Nice to see recruiting have no boundaries." Good point. I wished HCJB @ SU-BB thought like that.

Overall, they average the same amount of D1 players per year, as NY. However, Hawaii has a population of only 1.3 million. NY has a population of 19.7 million. So while they don't put out a ton of talent, they may be, per capita, the most talented state when it comes to producing D1 talent. It would also indicate that with such a concentration of D1 athletes in such a small area, that the level of competition is pretty impressive. Similarly, the Island of Samoa which has a population of 190,000, has 30 players in the NFL, and 200 playing division 1 football. A Samoan male, is 50 times more likely to be drafted into the NFL, than an non Samoan American. So imagine a city, not much bigger than Syracuse having 30 players in the NFL, and 200 playing D1 football. That would be some pretty insanely fertile recruiting territory.

Where do college football players come from? - Football Study Hall

How Can Tiny Samoa Dominate The NFL?

Last edited:
I like your comment, "Nice to see recruiting have no boundaries." Good point. I wished HCJB @ SU-BB thought like that.

Yeah - JB recruits within a 6 hour drive radius of CNY, and people complain about it.
Dino recuits all over the damn place, and people complain about it.

Common denominator? It doesn't matter what you do, or don't do - people will complain about it. :blah:

Overall, they average the same amount of D1 players per year, as NY. However, Hawaii has a population of only 1.3 million. NY has a population of 19.7 million. So while they don't put out a ton of talent, they may be, per capita, the most talented state when it comes to producing D1 talent. It would also indicate that with such a concentration of D1 athletes in such a small area, that the level of competition is pretty impressive. Similarly, the Island of Samoa which has a population of 190,000, has 30 players in the NFL, and 200 playing division 1 football. A Samoan male, is 50 times more likely to be drafted into the NFL, than an non Samoan American. So imagine a city, not much bigger than Syracuse having 30 players in the NFL, and 200 playing D1 football. That would be some pretty insanely fertile recruiting territory.

Where do college football players come from? - Football Study Hall

How Can Tiny Samoa Dominate The NFL?

Great stats, TY! Wow, we all know NYS fb is lacking at the hs level, but that ratio relative to a warm climate, tropical tourist destination is just another reminder that Cuse fb is smack dab in the middle of probably the worst recruiting state on the eastern seaboard.

Great stats, TY! Wow, we all know NYS fb is lacking at the hs level, but that ratio relative to a warm climate, tropical tourist destination is just another reminder that Cuse fb is smack dab in the middle of probably the worst recruiting state on the eastern seaboard.
And yet in a year or so , we will be holding our own.

Seems like a waste of resources unless there is some connection with the player and Syracuse.
Total waste of time.

Dino is from Hawaii and went to U Hawaii, I'm sure he has recruiting and family ties there. Trusted eyes and ears make a world of difference.

And hey some kids want a change of scenery, some have never seen snow and want to, some might want to play at the P5 level and have been overlooked out there by other P5 programs.

I wonder if Gonzaga is upset that they wasted the resources to recruit in Poland for basketball?:noidea:

Isn't Cole Murphy from CA? Couple kids from WI, IIRC. And a couple from IL or IN, maybe.
Was referring to southern schools west of the east coast (Alabama, Miss., Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas). The midwest clearly is a recruiting focus.

This is far from a waste of time lol. These kids are top 100 in their class. It's called good recruiting. LOL waste of time...sigh I need more coffee

You think it's a good use of time for a Syracuse coach to do an in home with a Hawaiian player? What's the travel time and cost associated with that trip?

You think it's a good use of time for a Syracuse coach to do an in home with a Hawaiian player? What's the travel time and cost associated with that trip?

Yes, it was three top 100 players
Travel time is 10 hours and 8 minutes, plus any layovers you might have.
Cost I could not tell as I don't have access to what the University uses for travel services
We have ACC money now, HCDB plus 9 other coaches. Plenty of time and money to visit 3 top 100 players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom