recruiting is getting much more interesting. | Syracusefan.com

recruiting is getting much more interesting.

upperdeck

Living Legend
not that we didnt really expect it. but one good result of the new early signing day is that with the extra spots opening up we will know in less than 2 weeks much more about how to close the class. We were 2 weeks ago looking at closing 4-5 spots and now closer to 10, but at least we wont have to protect 15 for 2 more months and go after people we may never have had a shot with..

It will be interesting to see how the big boys play this new period, where they used to drag it out to string along the lower hanging fruit trying to bring in the 4-5 star kid, will it be more clear to some of those kids they are 2nd options and move some of them along to other programs.

Dec to Feb will be fascinating to watch since we hopefully will have the 75% of the class signed early and then know exactly what holes are left and what kids are still in play. how many of the big kids dont sign early, how many kids the Big Boys sign early while waiting on the 5 stars. around 100 of the top 300 on ESPN have not committed.. That puts a ton of kids in play, and if the Big Boys dont send out papers to the 2nd tier thats a clear message they are on a waiting list, some might decide they dont want to play that waiting game. But will the Ala/OSU/FSU schools play the long game or take the 2nd tier kids that fill spots that cant use later?

not that we didnt really expect it. but one good result of the new early signing day is that with the extra spots opening up we will know in less than 2 weeks much more about how to close the class. We were 2 weeks ago looking at closing 4-5 spots and now closer to 10, but at least we wont have to protect 15 for 2 more months and go after people we may never have had a shot with..

It will be interesting to see how the big boys play this new period, where they used to drag it out to string along the lower hanging fruit trying to bring in the 4-5 star kid, will it be more clear to some of those kids they are 2nd options and move some of them along to other programs.

Dec to Feb will be fascinating to watch since we hopefully will have the 75% of the class signed early and then know exactly what holes are left and what kids are still in play. how many of the big kids dont sign early, how many kids the Big Boys sign early while waiting on the 5 stars. around 100 of the top 300 on ESPN have not committed.. That puts a ton of kids in play, and if the Big Boys dont send out papers to the 2nd tier thats a clear message they are on a waiting list, some might decide they dont want to play that waiting game. But will the Ala/OSU/FSU schools play the long game or take the 2nd tier kids that fill spots that cant use later?

I'm always excited for signing day but now with the early signing period, it definitely makes it more intriguing to watch. I think (wishful thinking perhaps) this early signing period will be helpful for a school like SU. Those players who were about to sign or had SU in play, only to have a bigger fish come along last minute and sign with them - I'm curious if that's less likely to happen now.

Since Marrone, I don't recall missing a ton of players like this anyway but I think it might lead some of these "ready to play sooner" 3 star players to make a quicker decision and choose the smaller program instead of waiting till the last minute. As you mentioned.

What do you see us still remaining?

At least 10, probably 12 more spots to fill?

2-3 DL
2 OL
2 DB
LB
QB
WR
TE

I know it’s all speculation but perhaps an earlier signing period would’ve kept guys like Cabinda and Palmer on the SU roster. Of course the other side is we would’ve missed out on flipping a couple as well. I’m fascinated to see how it goes.

What do you see us still remaining?

At least 10, probably 12 more spots to fill?

2-3 DL
2 OL
2 DB
LB
QB
WR
TE
Don’t we have 15 verbals already? Doesn’t that mean 10 more max?

as of the current fish and loves post on recruiting board we had at least 7 spots left but not sure how many early enrollies(4) can be backdated to this year

The football factories always find a way to work the system to their advantage. But at least on the surface, the early signing period appears to favor the average programs - the top programs have to show their cards a little earlier, kids should get a better read on where they fit. Really bad programs may miss out on kids who previously might have been left out of a spot in February. Hopefully programs like SU can convince kids that the big offer they're waiting on isn't coming.

I know it’s all speculation but perhaps an earlier signing period would’ve kept guys like Cabinda and Palmer on the SU roster. Of course the other side is we would’ve missed out on flipping a couple as well. I’m fascinated to see how it goes.

I’d rather keep the kid we id’d early and had ranked on high on our board over a late flip from a G5 school (even though some have worked out great).

It will be fun to watch.

Dec 20, is the real signing day. Expect every school to push the kids to this date(the kids want that, too).

The ones that don't sign... If they have grade issues, they can't, because the school looses the scholly, if the kid doesn't improve his GPA. The other kids, that don't... It's a gamble. Can easily lose their spot.

Dec 20, is the real day. Feb, is picking up the scraps...

Ive said it all along we need bodies and depth, this team is lacking both...hoping for a great class this time around to fill our many needs....

Does that matter? We have 17 commits and can only max out at 25, right?
25 is the total number for a recruiting class but you can still take grad transfers as they don't count toward the class, only towards the total 85 scholarships on the team.

25 is the total number for a recruiting class but you can still take grad transfers as they don't count toward the class, only towards the total 85 scholarships on the team.
What about grey shirting and all that garbage?

What about grey shirting and all that garbage?
I would say gone. There is an academic redshirt option that I believe is still available for recruiting. Schools aren't going to let kids sign in December unless they are academically qualified.

What is an academic redshirt?

Academic redshirts may practice in the initial term and receive athletics aid during the initial year of full-time collegiate enrollment but may not compete in their first year of full-time collegiate enrollment. In order to meet the academic redshirt standard, a college-bound student-athlete must:

1. Complete 16 core courses;
  2. Meet the academic redshirt sliding scale (GPA and ACT/SAT sum score); and
  3. Graduate from high school.

since 40% of the top 300 are still uncommitted I am not sure that Dec is the new Feb yet.. It may get there someday but way too many kids have not made up their minds and many have not even finished taking trips. If the big boys are still deciding that means a huge number of those below are still 2nd options and need to wait too.

since 40% of the top 300 are still uncommitted I am not sure that Dec is the new Feb yet.. It may get there someday but way too many kids have not made up their minds and many have not even finished taking trips. If the big boys are still deciding that means a huge number of those below are still 2nd options and need to wait too.
I wouldn't be surprised, if at least for SU this early signing period will be the new Feb. This staff seems to be focusing on kids that will be academically qualified to sign early and I believe are encouraging them to do so.

what is our recruiting rank right now? Does this class have a top 35 potential?

I thought I saw somebody say 41. It would probably make sense to see how many commits the teams around us have and how high those players are rated. A team that is behind us with fewer but higher rated commits is likely to jump us. Of course, the opposite is true of teams ranked higher with nearly a full class.

I thought I saw somebody say 41. It would probably make sense to see how many commits the teams around us have and how high those players are rated. A team that is behind us with fewer but higher rated commits is likely to jump us. Of course, the opposite is true of teams ranked higher with nearly a full class.

Top 30 right now on skowt/two four 7...outlier is Rivalz at 71.

It will be interesting to see what happens with commits who are qualified but do not sign. Does staff make it clear that it puts their offer at risk and make backup plans / move on? Should add a lot of clarity to non “ selector” schools.

That's my take. Recruiting is a game of musical chairs, and kids are going to want to take their seats. The ones that don't, may present some issues for the schools, needing to fill that spot. If a kid has a few favorites-without coaching changes-what benefit does he gain, if he can potentially lose his seat? Wouldn't be surprised if the schools are pushing kids to the early date, so they can effectively build whatever they miss, afterward.

80 of the top 300 are not committed (27%). I think that number shrinks, with most signing in Dec... Maybe 20%, or less, are picked up in Feb. Imo.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom