Recruiting NJ | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting NJ

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
Is anyone recruiting there for us? Have heard barely a whisper from recruits from a state with some solid P5 players and no P5 team.

1 commit from NJ thus far this season, Harris last season, Devito the year before that. The staff hasn't been winning recruiting battles against the big boys, so it's all about finding underrated talent before anyone else can - no matter where they're from.

1 commit from NJ thus far this season, Harris last season, Devito the year before that. The staff hasn't been winning recruiting battles against the big boys, so it's all about finding underrated talent before anyone else can - no matter where they're from.
I'm not expecting many, if any, against the big boys, but how a couple more against our peers? How often are we beating BC, Pitt, even Rutgers (Rondi and Lewis are 2 in 2 years)

I'm not expecting many, if any, against the big boys, but how a couple more against our peers? How often are we beating BC, Pitt, even Rutgers (Rondi and Lewis are 2 in 2 years)
The coaches are going to recruit the kids they think best fit the system and academic requirements regardless of geographic location.

Right now the commits are 3 PA, 1 NJ, 2 Canada, 1 CT, 1 TX, 1 NC, 2 FL

Last edited:
The kids decommitting from Rutgers, I don't see a heck of a lot of interest there. Mostly B listers for us or kids we didn't recruit.

There are 3 kids committed to Rutgers that I'd like to see us make a run at. Zamar Wise, who we offered, would be nice since we still have a hole in this class at QB. And then Donald Williams and Donovan Bunch, 2 DB's, both committed to them back in April and look like pretty good prospects. We may not have room at DB but if we do, we could do a lot worse.

The kids decommitting from Rutgers, I don't see a heck of a lot of interest there. Mostly B listers for us or kids we didn't recruit.

There are 3 kids committed to Rutgers that I'd like to see us make a run at. Zamar Wise, who we offered, would be nice since we still have a hole in this class at QB. And then Donald Williams and Donovan Bunch, 2 DB's, both committed to them back in April and look like pretty good prospects. We may not have room at DB but if we do, we could do a lot worse.

The LB Toure is the kid I'd like to see on a visit list.

Is anyone recruiting there for us? Have heard barely a whisper from recruits from a state with some solid P5 players and no P5 team.

I live in South Jersey and the area is loaded with talent. Joe Flacco lived 15 minutes away. The current rb for Wisconsin lives 30 minutes from me. We did get Taj Harris last year.

I’ll even pick the recruiter up at the air
port so he can use his phone while I drive him to his first contact

All the big schools recruit here. Land at the Philly airport and go 30 minutes east to NJ.

It's best not to waste time and resources if there's no reciprocation in interest in regards to 2019 prospects.

We shall see what 2020 brings
I don’t get why we don’t charge thru the state as we once would have 5-8 nj kids every year. Some of our best kids came from there. If we ain’t making a splash yet we should find a way too make some noise there. Somehow someway.

I don’t get why we don’t charge thru the state as we once would have 5-8 nj kids every year. Some of our best kids came from there. If we ain’t making a splash yet we should find a way too make some noise there. Somehow someway.
Because the coaches identify the kids they want for their system and can recruit nationally. They don't need to recruit one state heavily.

Because the coaches identify the kids they want for their system and can recruit nationally. They don't need to recruit one state heavily.

Agreed, the recruiting looks fine to me and who cares what state the kids come from? Those counting stars with regard to Syracuse football recruiting will always feel slighted and I don't care who the coach is, what the facilities look like, how good certain assistants recruited at other schools etc.

I think they also have a heavier emphasis on feeder schools than we have in years past, rather than focusing more heavily on a specific geographic area. Schools like IMG, Bishop McDevitt, Woodson, etc that churn out multiple P5 prospects year in, year out.

And when they have gaps, they use the transfer/JUCO/grad transfer circuit better than any staff that we've had in filling those gaps effectively.

I want SU to beat PSU, ND, Wisconsin and the like as much as possible for the NJ kids that they're after while the byproduct of that is getting almost every kid they want from Rutgers.

I'll take quality out of NJ rather than quantity. Dino is batting a thousand in NJ and Rondi looks like he could be in the mold of Christian Ferrara.

One thing that gets me with NJ and Stars is Rutgers. They hammer on how they've out recruited us because the 'stars' say so, and sure Ash is GRob bad, but when you see them play they don't have anybody jump off the page. Not one kid do I think WOW he's a really good player. The Stars are a lot of bunk, NJ kids are regularly over-rated and so are the Rutgers' recruits.

Jersery, Mass, CT, PA, just go find good kids. I don't care where they're from. Kids like winning programs though, so you watch, there'll now be an uptick in NJ interest and especially with DeVito around, gun-slinging QB and Don Bosco Prep. Carries a lot of weight.

Yes, but we've offered a bunch of these players. Just not landing many.

I'll take quality out of NJ rather than quantity. Dino is batting a thousand in NJ and Rondi looks like he could be in the mold of Christian Ferrara.

One thing that gets me with NJ and Stars is Rutgers. They hammer on how they've out recruited us because the 'stars' say so, and sure Ash is GRob bad, but when you see them play they don't have anybody jump off the page. Not one kid do I think WOW he's a really good player. The Stars are a lot of bunk, NJ kids are regularly over-rated and so are the Rutgers' recruits.

Jersery, Mass, CT, PA, just go find good kids. I don't care where they're from. Kids like winning programs though, so you watch, there'll now be an uptick in NJ interest and especially with DeVito around, gun-slinging QB and Don Bosco Prep. Carries a lot of weight.

Rondi is criminally underrated. I've spoken to numerous coaches who think he is a future pro. His power and agility at this age is advanced. It would not surprise me to see him make an instant impact next year.

Dino and staff have put out 20+ offers in NJ over the past two cycles. Its still one of our Top 5 recruited states based upon offer quantity. The top end guys are getting picked up by ND, OSU, PSU and Michigan. That hurts as we are a tier below those schools and only PSU regularly recruited NJ until relatively recently. Of the rest of the guys its normally a battle with BC, Pitt, UNC, Temple, RU. BC has done very well in NE recruiting lately.

While I understand the we'll get anyone no matter from where there from mentality it would be foolish not to continue to pound downstate NY/NJ. Pretty sure the staff is on the same page. They have to recruit the NE.

Dino and staff have put out 20+ offers in NJ over the past two cycles. Its still one of our Top 5 recruited states based upon offer quantity. The top end guys are getting picked up by ND, OSU, PSU and Michigan. That hurts as we are a tier below those schools and only PSU regularly recruited NJ until relatively recently. Of the rest of the guys its normally a battle with BC, Pitt, UNC, Temple, RU. BC has done very well in NE recruiting lately.

While I understand the we'll get anyone no matter from where there from mentality it would be foolish not to continue to pound downstate NY/NJ. Pretty sure the staff is on the same page. They have to recruit the NE.

It's both.
Recruit everywhere, AND locally in the NE.

But - you can only get the kids who want to come, so it really, REALLY doesn't actually matter where they live.

We've made lots of offers to NY/NJ/CT/PA kids, and gotten some, but not gotten many others.
And that's fine.
Hopefully with the new and improved, bowl-eligible Top 25 Orange putting up points and taking down Top 25 foes on the regular, we'll get even more traction with ALL of our recruiting targets -
no matter which state they happen to live in.

I understand getting the best recruits we can get regardless of their region but history shows our best seasons ever under Coach Mac and Coach P had rosters dominated by New Jersey.

And the staff has put out over 300 offers total. Not all offers are equal.

I want SU to beat PSU, ND, Wisconsin and the like as much as possible for the NJ kids that they're after while the byproduct of that is getting almost every kid they want from Rutgers.
I agree. Especially if we could start fighting ped st and all others and they would be close to home. We had a nj vibe when we were good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom