Recruiting: So far ranked last in ACC | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting: So far ranked last in ACC

Not too worried, it’s early and Dino wouldn’t take a kid unless he believed they formatted to his expectations/formula for speed/size/etc.

Also, we turned two three star freshmen into all americans last year so I’m not sweating at this moment.

Syracuse football recruiting: Where does 2020 class stand after 7-commit week?

I'm not one to get too worked up over recruiting rankings, but at this point we do seem to be lagging. Last in ACC, second last in the Power 5. Whats going on? Seems like this puts pressure on us to have another good season to get recruits latter in the cycle. Anyone have any insight on this?

Yes. Please use your magic wand to get us some more and higher rated recruits.

We've had ONE really good season, in these kids' entire lifetimes.
Our last 10-win season was before most of them were born.

Meanwhile - most of our ACC peers have been going to bowl games regularly -
we just had our first one in 5 years.

We will start getting those higher rated guys once we show it wasn't a fluke.
Just like Dino always says - "consistently good, not occasionally great".

Not to mention, these kids haven’t played their senior seasons yet.

look at the linebacker we just landed. That kids play far outshines the low three star he’s currently graded at. Our building issue in recruiting will be retaining the under the radar talent that top 10 schools catch onto by their senior years. This becomes easier to combat when you string together winning seasons.

Syracuse football recruiting: Where does 2020 class stand after 7-commit week?

I'm not one to get too worked up over recruiting rankings, but at this point we do seem to be lagging. Last in ACC, second last in the Power 5. Whats going on? Seems like this puts pressure on us to have another good season to get recruits latter in the cycle. Anyone have any insight on this?
Uh yeah, we're going to need to have another good season, right now last year was a fluke.

But also, recruiting rankings are BS. Trust in Dino.

It also doesn't help that 1 out of 10 commits (10%) is a kicker that I don't believe is rated by the major recruiting services. I could be wrong on this, though

Can we please have a pinned post here and the recruiting forum that tells people stop blindly trusting the rankings. Like i would like to see 4- stars but the players we are getting are not slouches by any stretch of the imagination

Here's another question: What was Coleman's class rated? What was Devito's class rated? Not highly I would suppose. But we are projected to be one of the 4 best teams in the ACC this year

Remeber Chandler jones? You know what his ranking was? a 78 and wasnt even rated by the service that never sleeps. Im sure glad we didnt just dismiss him off of stars.

Uniforms & Recruiting "rankings"

People will never stop worrying about stuff out of their control. Buy some season tix and be loud, instead.

You know what we do have? Dino, his staff and his system. So far, I'd say it's working out good.

Embrace the good.

Only ranking that really matters is the one accomplished by the 2019 Syracuse University Football Team on the actual football field in the number of wins. The majority of most college team rosters and the NFL are composed of three star ranked players. Just as important to what you are ranked going in is what the coaching staff does to shape and improve the talent once it is on campus. Syracuse's Coaching Staff is very good with the latter. Go Orange!!!!!!!!!!

IF recruiting rankings didn't matter, then you wouldn't see the Clemson and Alabamas of the world with all 4 and 5 star recruits... They do matter, just not 100%.

For me, rankings simply mean that if the kid is higher ranked, he has a higher percentage of being good vs a lower ranked player. Sometimes this works other times it doesn't.

IF recruiting rankings didn't matter, then you wouldn't see the Clemson and Alabamas of the world with all 4 and 5 star recruits... They do matter, just not 100%.

For me, rankings simply mean that if the kid is higher ranked, he has a higher percentage of being good vs a lower ranked player. Sometimes this works other times it doesn't.
They also take 3 star players who magically become 4-5 stars after they commit.

Dino was the one that said to expect bigger things from the 2020 class, so he's raising the bar and should expect criticism or skepticism if the trends don't match up. I agree the star rating system is more of an indicator in basketball but there's still a fair amount of truth to it in football as well. Dino's system is allowing us to play above what our talent suggests, but that will only get us so far. We need to start landing several 4-star players if we want to dream about challenging the ACC elite on a regular basis. 1 or 2 studs per class is just going to tread water. Our system is a huge asset, but we need to get our class ranking from the 50s and 60s into the mid-30s to reach our ceiling as a program. We've done it before in Coach Mac/P era it can be done again.

I don’t like where we are wrt the rest of the ACC and “rankings are BS” is just a Bromide for the Syracuse fans of the world.
At least on the hoops side, there is a general recognition that talent dropoff has contributed siginificantly to the program's slide. Football-wise, I think we're close and I think Dino has the potential to take recruiting to a level that has never been achieved o the hill. But there's still some work to be done. We're not there yet.

1) We just won 10 games with a bunch of “low ranking” kids

2) Dino recruits to his system (kind of like Boeheim and the 2-3).
A better example would be when Bielien was at Michigan. He was never getting top notch players. He was getting kids that fit his system. Then every year you would always find them in the NCAAs making a run. I’m not worried

I get it. Im definitely a huge babers fan. Just was more of a suprise when I saw it was such a low ranking. Dino did say to expect more this recruiting class, so my hopes are high

lol JB has had five (arguably six) HS All Americans in the last ten years. That’s a pretty bad comparison.

Over 1500 kids commit to P5 schools every year.

There are only 50 5 star recruits, and only 250 4 star recruits.

The next 500 are 3 stars, and everyone else gets a 2 star ranking.

Obviously a 3 star puts you in the top half.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at but there are approximately 1,300 three star players in any given recruiting class.

Can we please have a pinned post here and the recruiting forum that tells people stop blindly trusting the rankings. Like i would like to see 4- stars but the players we are getting are not slouches by any stretch of the imagination

I'm writing this post today. Some groundrules for discussing recruiting. It's honestly odd to me that people are so confused as to why these rankings are so meaningless when we just won 10 games ... and the fact that it was a 'down year' in the ACC (which I'm not disagreeing with) is even more ammunition b/c most of those schools were landing better classes than we were all along.

I get it. Im definitely a huge babers fan. Just was more of a suprise when I saw it was such a low ranking. Dino did say to expect more this recruiting class, so my hopes are high
Expectations are more then just a star ranking. Speed, strength, Football IQ are all improving year after year. It’s exciting to learn more about when you look past an artificial rating