Class of 2015 - Recruiting Strategy? | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Recruiting Strategy?

orangeinohio

2023 Cali Award Participant
So what's the coaching staff's plan here?
Nearly 20 offers today to kids from NC, SC, VA, DC, NJ, OH and TN.
All four or five star recruits (except one).

Casting a wide net can be a good thing but are they really committing to recruit NC and SC and TN?
And committing to recruit such highly-ranked players?
If this is the case, recruiting is going to require a helluva lot more time and effort by the staff.

You have to establish an in before you get those type of kids to consider us. Offer them, then see who shows genuine interest, and pursue harder. I'm pretty sure we offered Nkemdiche early in the cycle a few years ago. Everyone talks about recruiting south Florida because we're in the ACC, but doing the same in NC and SC isn't a bad idea. With State being horrible, UNC pretty much at our level, and Duke rising, we should be able to pull kids from the area. The top talent will probably still end up with the big boys, but we should get some high three star type kids to give us a look, similar to what we're doing in Florida.

You have to establish an in before you get those type of kids to consider us. Offer them, then see who shows genuine interest, and pursue harder. I'm pretty sure we offered Nkemdiche early in the cycle a few years ago. Everyone talks about recruiting south Florida because we're in the ACC, but doing the same in NC and SC isn't a bad idea. With State being horrible, UNC pretty much at our level, and Duke rising, we should be able to pull kids from the area. The top talent will probably still end up with the big boys, but we should get some high three star type kids to give us a look, similar to what we're doing in Florida.

You're sincerely underestimating the presence that the colleges in NC have in the state. I haven't met one NC coach who doesn't love Fedora at UNC. He's very personable and his staff bends over backwards for high school coaching staffs. NCSU has already taken the "Cuse" approach for their state. Their coach DD has said he wants to build a wall around NC and get their athletes to stay home. I know they signed 33 players, but NCSU still had a pretty good recruiting class. It would be hard to get "in" to NC like we are doing in Florida.

You're sincerely underestimating the presence that the colleges in NC have in the state. I haven't met one NC coach who doesn't love Fedora at UNC. He's very personable and his staff bends over backwards for high school coaching staffs. NCSU has already taken the "Cuse" approach for their state. Their coach DD has said he wants to build a wall around NC and get their athletes to stay home. I know they signed 33 players, but NCSU still had a pretty good recruiting class. It would be hard to get "in" to NC like we are doing in Florida.
That's fair and I agree on Fedora. He's a heck of a salesman. I guess my point was whether it's successful or not, it can't hurt to get offers out early in a state in the middle of ACC country. It doesn't hurt being able to go into a kid's home right now and play the film from last year and our loud LGO chants at the State game.

Casting a wide net can be a good thing but are they really committing to recruit NC and SC and TN?
If this is the case, recruiting is going to require a helluva lot more time and effort by the staff.
Guess its kinda like the lotto, you can't win of you don't play.

I really hope Texas is part of the staff's focus ... please
Texas is a great place to recruit and I thought that door was open when we had Zach Allen. But it closed pretty tight. We need to go to where the talent is and the door is open. If they can find another Zach Allen type committed to the Orange as he was, then I can see them recruiting in Texas for sure.

Just as in Florida, they are more good players than NCS or Chapel Hill can take. There is also the issue of the in state school having too many players ahead of a prospect that wants to play early.

Just as in Florida, they are more good players than NCS or Chapel Hill can take. There is also the issue of the in state school having too many players ahead of a prospect that wants to play early.

Don't know how much I agree with that. NC is not as rich in talent as Florida. When you get out of the top 30-40 players in NC, you start dealing with a lot of players who's main offers are from UNC-Charlotte and a slab of lower level FCS schools. In Florida, the 100best best prospect is still getting offers from high quality BCS schools.

Really, the discussion is moot, because the staff has evaluations on players, and as evident by all the offers today; SU is trying to see what interest is like with some of these high level prospects. If you get a lot of interest or have an in with the player, coach, or school; you absolutely take advantage of it. NC high school coaches have an old mans club, and a lot of coaches have been around for a very long time. It's an odd sense of loyalty. A good majority of the top 20-30 players in NC over the past years have gone to UNC, NCSU, Clemson, & USC. As I said above, outside of the 30, you're dealing with kids who are all FCS offers, sprinkled in with NCSU or Wake Forest offering.

The last knowledge bomb I can drop is something I really enjoy that the UNC and ECU football staffs do. They take the time to call every high school coaching staff in the state. Offer them free tours of the facilities and campus, ask about prospects they should be aware of so they can take a deeper look at them, and let them know if they are using their coaching pass to get into one of their games; make sure they let their office know so they can be "taken care of" during the game. It goes a long way with that loyalty I talked about above. I'd be interested to know what the SU staff does with it's NYHS coaches outside of camps and clinics.

I've got a friend in Texas who sent me this. It's very interesting to see how and where Texas recruits vs what we have to do. That Dallas to Houston east Texas corridor is crazy talented and they never have to leave their backyard to pull in top classes. I know they're competing against a lot of other programs but it must be nice to have such a defined recruiting territory.
http://texags.com/Stories/12862/a-visual-study-of-texas-ams-2014-recruiting-class

With all these offers out, I'd be curious what are the ties to each specific school, if any? Do we have a current player on the roster, etc?

Yes but it isn't just UNC and State going after the NC kids. It's also Duke, Wake...just watch recruiting with Clawson...ECU and App. Plus it will be interesting to watch the development of the FB program at UNC Charlotte. Remember Manley just transferred there. Lots of in home competition for these kids , many who want to stay in NC.

Don't know how much I agree with that. NC is not as rich in talent as Florida. When you get out of the top 30-40 players in NC, you start dealing with a lot of players who's main offers are from UNC-Charlotte and a slab of lower level FCS schools. In Florida, the 100best best prospect is still getting offers from high quality BCS schools.

Really, the discussion is moot, because the staff has evaluations on players, and as evident by all the offers today; SU is trying to see what interest is like with some of these high level prospects. If you get a lot of interest or have an in with the player, coach, or school; you absolutely take advantage of it. NC high school coaches have an old mans club, and a lot of coaches have been around for a very long time. It's an odd sense of loyalty. A good majority of the top 20-30 players in NC over the past years have gone to UNC, NCSU, Clemson, & USC. As I said above, outside of the 30, you're dealing with kids who are all FCS offers, sprinkled in with NCSU or Wake Forest offering.

The last knowledge bomb I can drop is something I really enjoy that the UNC and ECU football staffs do. They take the time to call every high school coaching staff in the state. Offer them free tours of the facilities and campus, ask about prospects they should be aware of so they can take a deeper look at them, and let them know if they are using their coaching pass to get into one of their games; make sure they let their office know so they can be "taken care of" during the game. It goes a long way with that loyalty I talked about above. I'd be interested to know what the SU staff does with it's NYHS coaches outside of camps and clinics.
Not suprisingly, a local HS coach told me that Greg Robinson was one of the worst at forming relationships with NYS coaches. And that at the same time Wannstadt, while at Pitt would invite them to his summer camps.

Well, we do have an early enrollee from NC...Corey Cooper from Matthews, which is just outside Charlotte. And he's originally from Raleigh.

We stuck with him, and I'm sure that earns some points.

Well, we do have an early enrollee from NC...Corey Cooper from Matthews, which is just outside Charlotte. And he's originally from Raleigh.

We stuck with him, and I'm sure that earns some points.

Actually he was born in Conn... yankee transplants to Raleigh. He prepped at Jireh in Matthews for one semester. He does have a brother, Colby, who plays FB but not for the same school in Raleigh as Corey.

Shoulda said 'originally committed out of Millbrook HS in Raleigh'. Had a huge offer list, including the North Carolina schools, Miami, OK State, Pitt, Tennessee, and many others.

Seems like a guy who could play this year.

they're fishing. throw the line in the water and see who bites. if they get a nibble i figure they'll narrow the focus and go after him.

they aren't going to recruit kids who are not interested but you have to find out first.

Last edited:

And I just read this about Wake.. sure they will be using it in recruiting.

WAKE FOREST: Wake alumnus and Winston-Salem native Alan Fox has donated $2 million in support of the Demon Deacons football program. Fox’s gift brings the total amount raised for Wake Forest football to $5 million since the launch of Wake Will: The Campaign for Wake Forest, in October. His gift will allow Wake to start the design process for a new sports performance center, including space for coaches’ offices, team meeting rooms and other player areas. The plans are designed to improve upon the current Bob McCreary Strength and Conditioning Center with a new facility that can accommodate not only football, but also the training needs of more than 350 student-athletes who compete in 18 sports.

they're fishing. throw the line in the water and see who bites. if they get a nibble i figure they'll narrow the focus and go after him.

they aren't going to recruit kids who are not interested but you have to find out first.

I guess that's possible.
It just seems like recruiting is so much about personal relationships with the staff and if you just throw out a line and hope to get a bite, it's pretty unlikely that anything is going to happen.

I guess that's possible.
It just seems like recruiting is so much about personal relationships with the staff and if you just throw out a line and hope to get a bite, it's pretty unlikely that anything is going to happen.

No school/coach has a real personal relationship with these kids yet.
NCAA Rules. Contact Visits.
Junior year from September 1
College coaches are allowed to send you information about their athletic program and about their school. this can include: media guides, schedule cards, personalized letters, photocopies of newspaper clippings and official university admissions and academic publications.
The college coach is now allowed to answer your emails and send emails to you as well.
Junior year from July 1
A college coach is only permitted to contact you in person off the college campus only on or after July 1st when you have completed your junior year of high school. If the coach meets with you or your parents and says anything to you or them then this is considered a contact. Anything more than a very basic hello is a contact.
College coaches are permitted to make one telephone call each week to you or your parents. You can call the coach as often as you wish.

RE: strategy. Some kids even the high quality kids sometimes verbal early to schools with a far lower profile than they are ultimately want to attend. Look at these prospects after the fact and if they are worth it offer them.After they have made their emotional dive into a school they may want to reconsider their choice and go to a higher level Div 1 program in the ACC. It worked with this last class with a couple valuable flips to us. Its just an alternate strategy not meant to be the only one or primary.

And I just read this about Wake.. sure they will be using it in recruiting.

WAKE FOREST: Wake alumnus and Winston-Salem native Alan Fox has donated $2 million in support of the Demon Deacons football program. Fox’s gift brings the total amount raised for Wake Forest football to $5 million since the launch of Wake Will: The Campaign for Wake Forest, in October. His gift will allow Wake to start the design process for a new sports performance center, including space for coaches’ offices, team meeting rooms and other player areas. The plans are designed to improve upon the current Bob McCreary Strength and Conditioning Center with a new facility that can accommodate not only football, but also the training needs of more than 350 student-athletes who compete in 18 sports.

Wake's problem is the size of the school - less than 5,000 undergrad. Beautiful campus but small.

Wake's problem is the size of the school - less than 5,000 undergrad. Beautiful campus but small.

True, but they certainly can raise cash quickly.