Recruiting top ranked players? | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting top ranked players?

jr4750

All American
In light of the upcoming NN decision, I am interested in hearing some opinions on the intelligence of putting resources and time into the recruitment of these kids, if in the end, illegality will win out a significant portion of the time. We have spent years going after Mr. Noel, have a fantastic relationship with him, have players who have longstanding friendships and familiarity playing with him, are the closest school to his hometown, and he is taylor fit to play in our zone. There is very little that should have or could have propelled us not to throw our hat in the ring. However, if the anticipation is that the opportunity to sign a kid like that will eventually evolve past a level we are comfortable playing on, I wonder where the coaches decide to fold. Seems like with Anthony Davis, we bailed out somewhat early, and I fully understand that the NN situation seemed up to the last week to be a different and more opportunistic animal. As others have said, we seem to lose these type of recruitments much more than we win them, see Tobias Harris, Julius Hodge, etc. In many respects, the loss has worked out for us even better, with stronger team unity, more available scholarships, et al. I also understand that JB has talked to the kid and his "team," and has a good first hand idea of what the percentages are for success. In some respects this is my condolence message to Mr. Hopkins, who has fought extremely hard to land this kid, and quite possibly will get bested by dirty tricks at the end. Perhaps, that is the game these days, but my question to you guys is why play, if we are not willing to close on the end? Why not focus on the kids 20-100 and gobble up as many of them as we can? Stay away from the trouble...

Disclaimer: I am not insinuating that NN is dirty and not a great young man. I am using his recruitment as a case study and going off the general vibe we have gotten over the last several days.

I'm not going to concede that NN has eliminated us from consideration or that his decision will be the result of "dirty tricks". The bottom line is, our coaches and recruiting team should never give up on a prospect if they feel there is a realistic chance of getting him. Folding because others have entered the picture or giving up because Kentucky is interested is simply wrong. If other programs violate NCAA regulations, so be it. In the end these kids and their families make their decisions based on what they feel is best for them. DC recognized where his true supporters, friends, mentors and allies were and made his choice accordingly. Why rob ourselves of the opportunity to attract top recruits just because we've lost out on more than we've won? Gotta be in it to win it.

My opinion is that JB and Hop are
very good at what they do and are committed to running a clean program. They will go after the best kids that they can that are clean and drop the recruiting of a kid when it crosses the line.

I get your point that there are more temptations and maybe even a higher chance of recruiting trouble in the top 20, but I'm not sure you can blanket every kid in the top 20 as being unfit for recruitment.

I would bet JB has a pretty good sniffer when it comes to this stuff. I'm sure he sometimes regrets putting time into the kids we lost out on but I'm sure he also gets that going after the more elite kids is what makes a program elite.

Not to say that the 21-100 group is not a solid way to go, but I think if we want to be considered among the UNC, Kansas and Dukes of the world, to compete you are going to need at least a few elite players. We have been doing very well at this over the past several years. No reason to think that won't continue.

very good at what they do and are committed to running a clean program. They will go after the best kids that they can that are clean and drop the recruiting of a kid when it crosses the line.

I get your point that there are more temptations and maybe even a higher chance of recruiting trouble in the top 20 but I'm not sure you can blanket every kid in the top 20 as being unfit for recruitment.

I would bet JB has a pretty good sniffer when it comes to this stuff. I'm sure he sometimes regrets putting time into the kids we lost out on but I'm sure he also gets that going after the more elite kids is what makes a program elite.

Not to say that the 21-100 group is not a solid way to go, but I think if we want to be considered among the UNC, Kansas and Dukes of the world, to compete you are going to need at least a few elite players. We have been doing very well at this over the past several years. No reason to think hat won't continue.

I agree with all of that, and I certainly think to be elite you have to go after the top 20. It is amazing how good we've been over the last bunch of years having not really gotten these guys like the UNC's, UK's, etc.

In light of the upcoming NN decision, I am interested in hearing some opinions on the intelligence of putting resources and time into the recruitment of these kids, if in the end, illegality will win out a significant portion of the time. We have spent years going after Mr. Noel, have a fantastic relationship with him, have players who have longstanding friendships and familiarity playing with him, are the closest school to his hometown, and he is taylor fit to play in our zone. There is very little that should have or could have propelled us not to throw our hat in the ring. However, if the anticipation is that the opportunity to sign a kid like that will eventually evolve past a level we are comfortable playing on, I wonder where the coaches decide to fold. Seems like with Anthony Davis, we bailed out somewhat early, and I fully understand that the NN situation seemed up to the last week to be a different and more opportunistic animal. As others have said, we seem to lose these type of recruitments much more than we win them, see Tobias Harris, Julius Hodge, etc. In many respects, the loss has worked out for us even better, with stronger team unity, more available scholarships, et al. I also understand that JB has talked to the kid and his "team," and has a good first hand idea of what the percentages are for success. In some respects this is my condolence message to Mr. Hopkins, who has fought extremely hard to land this kid, and quite possibly will get bested by dirty tricks at the end. Perhaps, that is the game these days, but my question to you guys is why play, if we are not willing to close on the end? Why not focus on the kids 20-100 and gobble up as many of them as we can? Stay away from the trouble...

Disclaimer: I am not insinuating that NN is dirty and not a great young man. I am using his recruitment as a case study and going off the general vibe we have gotten over the last several days.
Where was this post when we recruited Rak and MCW. The fight foe Cooney was intense as well

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

I get your point that there are more temptations and maybe even a higher chance of recruiting trouble in the top 20, but I'm not sure you can blanket every kid in the top 20 as being unfit for recruitment.

Not to say that the 21-100 group is not a solid way to go, but I think if we want to be considered among the UNC, Kansas and Dukes of the world, to compete you are going to need at least a few elite players. We have been doing very well at this over the past several years. No reason to think that won't continue.
Regarding your first paragraph, I think it's a little naive to believe Syracuse, or any other school for that matter, is or could be 100% clean if they want to be successful.

Not saying we are particularly dirty, but I'd be stunned if we aren't willing to bend a few rules now and then, just like I'd be stunned to hear the same about Duke, Carolina, UConn, and so on, and so on.

Regarding your first paragraph, I think it's a little naive to believe Syracuse, or any other school for that matter, is or could be 100% clean if they want to be successful.

Not saying we are particularly dirty, but I'd be stunned if we aren't willing to bend a few rules now and then, just like I'd be stunned to hear the same about Duke, Carolina, UConn, and so on, and so on.

Not naive, we are in agreement. That's why I said "crossing the line", which I know is very hard to define sometimes.

Where was this post when we recruited Raj and MCW. The fight foe Cooney was intense as well

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

MCW was gotten early before he blew up. Cooney was not a top 20 recruit. Rak, is definitely someone who is outside my scenario in that he was a top ten guy who we got on late in the process. I probably should have pulled up my analogy to a top 10 - 5 player, of which I think only Carmelo, Donte Greene, and for a while DC2 were. Even Carmelo was outside the top 20 when we began recruiting him and improved tremendously his senior year.

Agree with most of this but the big factor in recruiting are the parents. The Aubern decision has changed the entire recruiting game.
Let's be clear. If the parent takes benefits (money) the student to be cannot be held responsible. All they have to do is manufacture some separation. We generally have an even playing field when the parents are of means.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom