Redshirt rule | Syracusefan.com

Redshirt rule

2 d1 council meetings this week. One finished today, the other tomorrow. I think it passes, and it'll be a big deal.

Alabama could have used this rule during the NC game.

2 d1 council meetings this week. One finished today, the other tomorrow. I think it passes, and it'll be a big deal.
It doesn't matter what happens. People will think something has happened. And it will get talked about a ton and people will be confused all season.

Or, we should just make everybody 5 to play 5.

Given the opportunity to do something on the players behalf, the NCAA seems to put it off as long as possible. If it doesn't pass in June, it's gone for 2 years.

do we forget this rule helps the better teams way more than the lesser teams.. yeah we could get some kids that are not ready some practice, but the better teams will use it to win games..

I think it helps developmental and teams with depth issues, just the same.

Last year TD would have been on the table. At some point, they decide a kid is keeping his shirt, and the more meaningful practice reps go to someone eligible. Kids like this could get more reps, improve, and still be allowed to compete in 4 games. I think it works for everyone.

This is awesome.

Kids who aren't ready get to gain experience in the four blowouts that we could potentially have each year.

Kids who are... do you use them in all 12 games, or do you wait until they're really ready with the playbook and unveil them at the end of the year?

Or do you pick and choose the games you use certain guys?

So many options.

This is awesome.

Kids who aren't ready get to gain experience in the four blowouts that we could potentially have each year.

Kids who are... do you use them in all 12 games, or do you wait until they're really ready with the playbook and unveil them at the end of the year?

Or do you pick and choose the games you use certain guys?

So many options.
It is dumb.

Just go 5 to play 5.

Not encouraging that they pushed it to June, but if it's passed, I think it's a great start.

There were also discussions on loosening the medical redshirt rules, so a kid doesn't lose the year, if he was already red shirted. I'm guessing this may have been the hold up in passing a comprehensive RS overhaul...

Or, get rid of redshirts
No thanks. Most kids would lose a year, and it would especially hurt the positions that take longer to learn. Any school that relies on developmental players, would be hurt even more.

2 years with unanimous support, and they still can't pass it. Putting the DMV to shame...

For Cuse, I think it might be the difference in seeing a player like Trill or Hendrix, year 1. Could really help with depth, towards the end of the year.

Guess we gotta wait ''til June.. I was 98% they'd pass it yesterday... Sheesh.

I think it helps developmental and teams with depth issues, just the same.

Last year TD would have been on the table. At some point, they decide a kid is keeping his shirt, and the more meaningful practice reps go to someone eligible. Kids like this could get more reps, improve, and still be allowed to compete in 4 games. I think it works for everyone.

Thank god he didn't play when the wheels came off after the 1st half of Wake Forest. Getting your confidence ruined when your team is hitting a wall and getting crushed from playing a tougher schedule than Alabama would defeat the purpose of a redshirt and hinder his career.

1 game late in the year + a bowl is all that should be allowed. Maybe 2 games total. Anything more and why not make the change to 5 years of eligibility with no redshirts. Or maybe allowing every team to 'burn' 1 or 2 redshirts a year and get them back would be OK and allow a couple kids to play in injury situations.

Also how does this effect transfers?

Those are the guys that are most likely able to step in and play well.

Generally speaking I think 18 year old redshirts were redshirted for a reason and are going to be way behind the competition and have their confidence ruined stepping on the field late in the season with no reps. Experience isn't always a good thing. Bad experiences and looking like crap in their first batch of PT isn't going to help a kid come his first spring camp when he tries to beat out an upper classman for reps.

Also how does this effect transfers?

Those are the guys that are most likely able to step in and play well.

Generally speaking I think 18 year old redshirts were redshirted for a reason and are going to be way behind the competition and have their confidence ruined stepping on the field late in the season with no reps. Experience isn't always a good thing. Bad experiences and looking like crap in their first batch of PT isn't going to help a kid come his first spring camp when he tries to beat out an upper classman for reps.
Completely agree. The rules now, can push a kid with promise , off to next year. The proposed rule could allow a coaching staff to get certain kids more prepared, as they can contribute in 4 games...with a good experience. Helping a school like cuse.

Free agent type transfer, with national database was also discussed... More push back. That rule could hurt mid level schools, as their stars try to move up to a higher team.

No thanks. Most kids would lose a year, and it would especially hurt the positions that take longer to learn. Any school that relies on developmental players, would be hurt even more.
College is not about football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom