Referees tonight | Syracusefan.com

Referees tonight

CsonkaStash

Starter
They officiated a despicable 1st half that absolutely played a part in taking us out of the game early. I recorded the game and replayed first half to see if I was just overreacting. Sadly I was not, we were fouled in 5 takes in a row without a single call. Paschal was then called for fouls on touchy calls 3 times.

One foul on them in first half to 8 The first half with their push and hand checking all half was a joke. We would certainly not have been winning but game could have been 10 points at half if called even remotely fair. The technical capped it off. Anyone who says that it played very little part is insane. They should be held accountable for what I just saw

They officiated a despicable 1st half that absolutely played a part in taking us out of the game early. I recorded the game and replayed first half to see if I was just overreacting. Sadly I was not, we were fouled in 5 takes in a row without a single call. Paschal was then called for fouls on touchy calls 3 times.

One foul on them in first half to 8 The first half with their push and hand checking all half was a joke. We would certainly not have been winning but game could have been 10 points at half if called even remotely fair. The technical capped it off. Anyone who says that it played very little part is insane. They should be held accountable for what I just saw
I agree that the officiating was horrendous. Those guys didn't know what was a foul and what wasn't. When the zebras don't know, how can the players?

Just the same, they hardly cost us the game, as VT also was victimized by the officials' incompetence, albeit not to the same extent the Orange was.

I don’t remember a team ever only having 1 foul in the first half. Especially a team as aggressive as VT was tonight. Our players were definitely effected by the lack of foul calls in the first half. Then in the first 5 minutes of the second half, the fouls were 5 to 1 against VT. It’s like the refs at halftime decided to try to even the fouls a little.

Buzz's system is to foul every player on every play, knowing that the refs are going to call only about 10% of them, if that. I hate playing against his teams for that reason. Very similar to Georgetown under JT, Jamie Dixon and Pitino. Harass, push, grab and stick the legs out when you get beat. We got bullied tonight and responded with a weak performance.

Buzz's system is to foul every player on every play, knowing that the refs are going to call only about 10% of them, if that. I hate playing against his teams for that reason. Very similar to Georgetown under JT, Jamie Dixon and Pitino. Harass, push, grab and stick the legs out when you get beat. We got bullied tonight and responded with a weak performance.
Could not agree more with this statement. I tthought the same thing. Reminder me of Louisville that year in Big East Tourney final

They weren't the main reason, but it's untrue they had zero to do with the outcome. The way they called the game influenced the style of play. The fact we didn't respond well is a separate issue.

The refs had zero to do with VT dismantling the zone.

Again, that's one aspect of the game. Or inability to function on offense was a direct result of the physicality of VT. That physicality, btw , is contrary to the rule book.

Which is really where the game was lost. It’s funny how people freak out whenever the other team scores some points. They’re so used to the games being ugly rock fights where baskets feel like minor miracles.

Any offense will struggle when the opponent is allowed to play defense like that.

Like someone else said, it’s not a coincidence that the only stretch where SU was functioning on offense came when the refs started calling fouls for a few minutes.

VT’s entire defense is based on fouling.

Which is really where the game was lost. It’s funny how people freak out whenever the other team scores some points. They’re so used to the games being ugly rock fights where baskets feel like minor miracles.

Any offense will struggle when the opponent is allowed to play defense like that.

Like someone else said, it’s not a coincidence that the only stretch where SU was functioning on offense came when the refs started calling fouls for a few minutes.

VT’s entire defense is based on fouling.

Agreed. They payed dirty. But this is a rationalization. Either adjust on offense or lose.

Adjust? We did. And it worked when the refs were calling fouls. But then they caved under the pressure of the whole building freaking out every time a foul was correctly called.

We aren’t tough on offense. That translates into, we have NO ONE who can impose their will inside. We rely on finesse. That won’t cut it. We’ll continue to get out muscled. How about getting some players who can play inside?

“Adjust on offense.” I love it. Please enlighten us on scoring against the football defense with no whistles.

When all you have are a bunch of slow guards and stretch forwards, this is what you get. How about getting some players who can play inside?

VT will get bounced from the tourney early when they run into a ref crew that calls fouls on that garbage, just like Dixon's Pitt teams

We aren’t tough on offense. That translates into, we have NO ONE who can impose their will inside. We rely on finesse. That won’t cut it. We’ll continue to get out muscled. How about getting some players who can play inside?

Out muscled? What does that even mean? Sounds like fouling to me.

We don’t have anyone that can post up and score, so relying on the dribble drive is awfully tough when the other team is allowed to hand check and hip check your ball handlers and impede their progress to the basket.

We don’t have anyone that can post up and score, so relying on the dribble drive is awfully tough when the other team is allowed to hand check and hip check your ball handlers and impede their progress to the basket.

Or indiscriminately put bodies on you when you do drive without any whistles.

What was most frustrating about that awful officiating was that someone like Battle would drive to the basket, the defender would initiate a ton of contact -- no whistle.

That midget PG of VT's would dribble into a double team, pick up his dribble with nowhere to go, hook our guy with his right arm to clear out space, and they blow a whistle on us. And call it a shooting foul. And that's how disparate things were called for about 34 minutes of the game.

The refs were far from the only reason we lost last night, but they flat out sucked. And part of the reason for that is because they called different games for the two different teams, which is BS.

But that the point, isn’t it. Our best teams always had that post presence. When out-muscled (read that to mean fouled), we made them pay. The problem is the team makeup. Coaches know what we are and dare us to beat them. Against passive defenses, we do well. Against aggressive defenses we struggle more often than not.

But that the point, isn’t it. Our best teams always had that post presence. When out-muscled (read that to mean fouled), we made them pay. The problem is the team makeup. Coaches know what we are and dare us to beat them. Against passive defenses, we do well. Against aggressive defenses we struggle more often than not.

Well, I agree that we need to recruit someone that can score inside.

I was shocked they didn't give Brissett a tech for pulling himself up on the rim to slap the backboard after dunking as we mounted a comeback after halftime. Could've instantly killed our momentum. Just really dumb on his part & I hope it's addressed so it doesn't cost us in the future.

I was shocked they didn't give Brissett a tech for pulling himself up on the rim to slap the backboard after dunking as we mounted a comeback after halftime. Could've instantly killed our momentum. Just really dumb on his part & I hope it's addressed so it doesn't cost us in the future.
Hanging on the rim is very rarely called anymore. If there is an opposing player even remotely close on the play, the player is given the benefit of the doubt that they were "protecting" themselves.

Hanging on the rim is very rarely called anymore. If there is an opposing player even remotely close on the play, the player is given the benefit of the doubt that they were "protecting" themselves.
I agree, but Brissett pulled himself back up just to slap the backboard with his palm. That's a tech more often than not in both college & the NBA.

Or indiscriminately put bodies on you when you do drive without any whistles.

What was most frustrating about that awful officiating was that someone like Battle would drive to the basket, the defender would initiate a ton of contact -- no whistle.

That midget PG of VT's would dribble into a double team, pick up his dribble with nowhere to go, hook our guy with his right arm to clear out space, and they blow a whistle on us. And call it a shooting foul. And that's how disparate things were called for about 34 minutes of the game.

The refs were far from the only reason we lost last night, but they flat out sucked. And part of the reason for that is because they called different games for the two different teams, which is BS.

There was a play where Battle drove to the basket, fell to the ground and lost the ball. Thing is though as he drove, a VT player kneed him hard in the thigh causing his to fall. Then, while it wasn’t a drive, Howard had a turnover where the VT player should have been charged with assault. They play a very physical defense. The first 5 mins of the second half they called some of them and we had more success. But their players cried about everyone of them along with Buzz and their fans so the refs went back to swallowing the whistles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom