Reffed two games wearing a pedometer ... | Syracusefan.com

Reffed two games wearing a pedometer ...

Cowtown

Sesquipedalia verba
total from both games: 13,976 steps, or 6.61 miles. We invariably do "doubles," meaning the JV and then the varsity. It's not all running, although I'd say about 2/3 of it is. Fewer fouls and turnovers means more running. Just in case anyone was interested. :)

total from both games: 13,976 steps, or 6.61 miles. We invariably do "doubles," meaning the JV and then the varsity. It's not all running, although I'd say about 2/3 of it is. Fewer fouls and turnovers means more running. Just in case anyone was interested. :)

Why are so many officials so out of shape?

The NCAA works three-man, and I only do two-man games, usually 3 nights/wk. I'm not "so out of shape," I'm 5-11 and 175. Most of my colleagues are of a similar body type. I used to work college games back in my late 30's - early 40's. Then I took a job teaching & coaching, and there was no time to ref, so I took those 15 years off. Then when I retired from teaching, I told the assn I was not interested in the politics of climbing back up the ladder (read: 3-man games), just wanted to have some fun reffing HS ball, and make a little for beer and green fees. So I just do 2-man now.

It's a dichotomy, frankly. The three-man system was put in place because the off-ball activity was practically out of control, especially in transitional play. The down side of it is that it extended the careers of the dinosaurs for they don't have to run nearly as much. But let's be honest here, they're not all fat and out of shape. Very few are anymore. You're thinking of Burr, Higgins, Clougherty, et al, from the old BE days. Today the assn's have moved toward getting those guys out of the equation. But here's something else to consider. I learned as a coach that I don't care much what the ref looks like, or how he runs or if he wears glasses or has a beard, if he's getting the calls right. So I'd rather have the three-man with "rounder" refs if they're getting the calls right. At the end of the game, that's what matters.

Last edited:
The NCAA works three-man, and I only do two-man games, usually 3 nights/wk. I'm not "so out of shape," I'm 5-11 and 175. Most of my colleagues are of a similar body type. I used to work college games back in my late 30's - early 40's. Then I took a job teaching & coaching, and there was no time to ref, so I took those 15 years off. Then when I retired from teaching, I told the assn I was not interested in the politics of climbing back up the ladder, just wanted to have some fun reffing HS games, and make a little for beer and green fees. So I just do 2-man.

It's a dichotomy, frankly. The three-man system was put in place because the off-ball activity was practically out of control, especially in transitional play. The down side of it is that it extended the careers of the dinosaurs for they don't have to run nearly as much. But let's be honest here, they're not all fat and out of shape. Very few are anymore. You're thinking of Burr, Higgins, Clougherty, et al, from the old BE days. Today the assn's have moved toward getting those guys out of the equation. But here's something else to consider. I learned as a coach that I don't care much what the ref looks like, or how he runs or if he wears glasses or has a beard, if he's getting the calls right. So I'd rather have the three-man with "rounder" refs if they're getting the calls right. At the end of the game, that's what matters.

Thanks for the in depth answer. I was kind of being sarcastic, but I was thinking of Ted Valentine. When you're bad and fat, people take notice! I totally can see how a 3 man crew doesn't have to run as much.

Thanks for the in depth answer. I was kind of being sarcastic, but I was thinking of Ted Valentine. When you're bad and fat, people take notice! I totally can see how a 3 man crew doesn't have to run as much.

My complaint about Valentine is that he tries too hard to be part of the show. His mechanics are a little more flamboyant than I like to be. Okay, a lot. :D

Last edited:
My complaint about Valentine is that he tries too hard to be part of the show. His mechanics are a little more flamboyant than I like to be. Okay, a lot. :D

As it relates to Teddy V, when you have Sports Illustrated and other publications profiling you as a referee, I'm sorry - you're doing it wrong.

In the case of Higgins any aerobic benefit was outweighed by the booze

2012-02-15-dn-higgins2jpg-94e3b894fb0567c7.jpg

How could you say such things about "TV Teddy"? :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom