Refs: Natili, Stephens & Hess | Syracusefan.com

Refs: Natili, Stephens & Hess

Is Herr Hess attached to us for the season? Maybe he's the new Higgins.

Michael Stephens, rut roh. That guy is a foul calling machine. Imagined, real, ticky tac, bogus, anticipated, etc, get ready for all of these varieties today.

Really hope our free throw shooting is on today.

This does not put me at ease. My bigget fear in this game is ennis getting into foul trouble trying to stay with their 4 quick guard set.

I was looking forward to this game.

3665247+_d99b88483c90c96f669f0f013ec081a2.jpg

This does not put me at ease. My bigget fear in this game is ennis getting into foul trouble trying to stay with their 4 quick guard set.
I agree, that is how the game will be won or lost.

Put this down on the column titled "Why it sucks to be in the ACC". I used to feel blessed that Hess was basically an ACC ref. ugh

It's freaking 2013. Why can't we have robot refs that call the game exactly by the book by now?!?

It's freaking 2013. Why can't we have robot refs that call the game exactly by the book by now?!?
I don't know if you'd want that. By the book means a foul every 3 seconds. The game was not designed with the guys that play today in mind. When basketball was invented you were a giant if you were 6'1"

All the more reason that Cooney, Gbinije, and Patterson need to be ready to handle top-shelf, Div I pressure.

I have a hunch that before the season is done, Patterson will rise to the occasion at some key point, perhaps more than once.

I don't know if you'd want that. By the book means a foul every 3 seconds. The game was not designed with the guys that play today in mind. When basketball was invented you were a giant if you were 6'1"

Yeah but... I don't really care how the game is called as long as there is consistancy. If fouls started being called every 3 seconds, and always called every 3 seconds, the coaches and players would adjust. Also my robot refs might eliminate Aaron Craft from existance.
Terminator.jpg

To paraphrase somewhat, if I don't recognize the name, they are OK!

I agree with this. People do not watch or pay to see the refs. The fact that you know their names is a bad sign. Means they either insert themselves into the game by calling objectionable calls, or have a penchant for missing blatantly obvious calls. Good refs should merely blend in.

What team of refs would put people's minds at ease, is there one?

Who did the FF game against Michigan last year? Who did the game the year before against THE Ohio State?

Your point is well taken.

EDIT: To answer my own questions:

UM game 2013: Officials: Mark Whitehead, Doug Sirmons, Randy Mccall

OSU game 2012: Officials: Tom O'Neill, Mike Nance, John Higgins

Last edited:
On the bright side, I'm shocked we didn't get Burr for this national TV Big East reunion.

To paraphrase somewhat, if I don't recognize the name, they are OK!

Bingo. I couldn't tell a thing about Natili and don't pay close enough attention that I should recognize the names of refs and yet Stephens and moreso Hess are far too familiar to me.

What team of refs would put people's minds at ease, is there one?

Preferably 3 dudes that have names no one recognizes but have been doing it for quite a while. That is the mark of a good referee, plenty of experience but allows the players to decide the game fairly so no one really remembers him.

Today will be one of those days where both coaches are like What you were at half court and the guy under the basket called nothing. This is a very bad crew possibly for either or both teams. They just suck.

Last edited:
Why do we get Hess so often? We don't want him.. give us someone else!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom