"relief" felt upon retirement | Syracusefan.com

"relief" felt upon retirement

stuckinbig11

All American
I have been reading JB article after article and will probably not get to them all, but somewhere I recall JB saying that retirement brought relief. I can relate to that and hope that he enjoys a less-stressful life.

In 2008, I retired from the U.S. Geological Survey and missed doing wetland research across all the Great Lakes. However, I did not miss the bureaucratic garbage that comes with working in a federal agency--that was a relief. My next role was as a professor at SUNY Brockport, where I got to do wetland research on nearby Lake Ontario and also taught Wetland Ecology. I took my second retirement in 2020, and I dearly miss the wetland field work, standing front of a class expounding my knowledge, and interacting with students. However, I felt relief that I escaped before Covid, and I do not miss writing grant proposals. Retirement is not just relief from obligations; it leaves a gap in your life. So I keep my mind active writing and publishing journal articles.

JB's job and life have been much more stressful than mine. He likely lived SU basketball every waking minute, and I can only guess the tension he always felt. I hope that during his retirement, he can reflect on what life as a coach was like and take the time to tell his greatest fans about the relief he now feels and how he is filling the void and keeping happy.

I’m so happy to read this today because JB will still be part of the University in a different way I didn’t read what he will do specifically but I’m so very happy they worked it out
He better get donors to raise the remaining money needed for the $150 million Manley upgrade. I’ll give him 47 days to get it done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom