Remaining areas of need for this class | Syracusefan.com

Remaining areas of need for this class

ottodaorange

Starter
This is an effort to enhance the excellent work of OrangeExtreme. As noted, as of today we have 22 signees in the class of 2023 and one PWO transfer (LB Yosuke Sugano). The breakdown by position:

WR - 2
TE - 1
DL - 5
LB - 3 + 1 PWO
OL -5
QB -0
DB -2
P -1
LS -1
RB -2?
Total = 22 scholarships with several more assumed available.

The glaring need is at QB, that each class usually has at least one. Perhaps this is why so many are being offered in the 2024 class. Of course, as Yogi Bera once said, "It ain't over 'till it's over."

Secondly, with the departure of both CBs and Ss, we need to replace more than 2. Otherwise, injuries will probably cause havoc. This should be a priority for remaining offers as well as LBs.

Thirdly, I believed that both OL and DL was a high priority which we addressed with 5 of each.

Fourthly, RB is listed as 2 with a ? The reason is that it is unclear to me, at this point, how Muwaffay Parkman will be utilized. If he is utilized at DB, this will probably reduce the urgency at CB or S.

Fifthly, TE. We have an abundance of TEs that are predominantly used as blockers, except the one that is really a WR. One is plenty.

Sixthly, (is that a word)? I have reservations about the scholarships given to P and LS. Those positions historically are given to walk ons by many schools and we already have some on scholarship.

I am hopeful the staff will address our primary needs with the remaining scholarships available.

We currently have 84 scholarships accounted for. Only 1 more slot available (for now).

There will be more attrition during Spring practice.

Aaron Bolinsky was on a scholarship. I have no issue with a grad transfer LS taking his slot for 1 year.

Yosuke Sugano was on the team last season. He's not a new PWO addition.

We will NOT have 3 punters on scholarship by April.

In descending order of priority:

1. WR who can step in and challenge for a starting spot
  2. OL, possibly interior
  3. DT if one is there
  4. CB
  5. TE

This is an effort to enhance the excellent work of OrangeExtreme. As noted, as of today we have 22 signees in the class of 2023 and one PWO transfer (LB Yosuke Sugano). The breakdown by position:

WR - 2
TE - 1
DL - 5
LB - 3 + 1 PWO
OL -5
QB -0
DB -2
P -1
LS -1
RB -2?
Total = 22 scholarships with several more assumed available.

The glaring need is at QB, that each class usually has at least one. Perhaps this is why so many are being offered in the 2024 class. Of course, as Yogi Bera once said, "It ain't over 'till it's over."

Secondly, with the departure of both CBs and Ss, we need to replace more than 2. Otherwise, injuries will probably cause havoc. This should be a priority for remaining offers as well as LBs.

Thirdly, I believed that both OL and DL was a high priority which we addressed with 5 of each.

Fourthly, RB is listed as 2 with a ? The reason is that it is unclear to me, at this point, how Muwaffay Parkman will be utilized. If he is utilized at DB, this will probably reduce the urgency at CB or S.

Fifthly, TE. We have an abundance of TEs that are predominantly used as blockers, except the one that is really a WR. One is plenty.

Sixthly, (is that a word)? I have reservations about the scholarships given to P and LS. Those positions historically are given to walk ons by many schools and we already have some on scholarship.

I am hopeful the staff will address our primary needs with the remaining scholarships available.
You always have to keep that hard limit of 85 total scholarships in mind which also available in OX's scholarship rundown.

My order of preference at this point is:

OL
CB
TE

we still don’t know what JRons status is. We have 1 center without him. And we still don’t have a TE who can block.
And if he signed and doesn't make it to campus we lose that scholarship. I did noticed that one of the staff was following another center. Maybe a backup just in case.

Areas of need...
fewer penalties
better nutrition, strength and conditioning programs...
give us all the over- achieving 3 stars with and an "attitude"
and we'll win more than we lose.

OL
CB
TE

we still don’t know what JRons status is. We have 1 center without him. And we still don’t have a TE who can block.
Who is JRon?

Areas of need...
fewer penalties
better nutrition, strength and conditioning programs...
give us all the over- achieving 3 stars with and an "attitude"
and we'll win more than we lose.
Do you not think our players were strong or conditioned? With the exception of 1 or 2 players on the field production, I don't see why you would make an emphasis on this as a problem. I think we had 1 or 2 lineman that were over weight maybe and the issues were likely not the staffs fault. And Linton chronically being undersized is likely not on the staff either. Some kids don't gain weight.

Last edited:
In descending order of priority:

1. WR who can step in and challenge for a starting spot
  2. OL, possibly interior
  3. DT if one is there
  4. CB
  5. TE
Well, best available is probably the right answer.
I would go WR (biggest impact); RB (not much behind Allen and injuries happen - we were lucky with Tucker); DB.

Do you not think our players were strong or conditioned? With the exception of 1 or 2 players on the field production I don't see why you would make an emphasis on this as a problem. I think we had 1 or 2 lineman that were over weight maybe and the issues were likely not the staffs fault. And Linton chronically being undersized is likely not on the staff either. Some kids don't gain weight.
I think it was Mikel that said things could be better in this area. Last summer he stated that Syracuse did not have a sports related registered dietician. Linton's high school coach stated that the(CUSE) team was getting 1 "training table meal" a day. Most programs get 2 or 3. The dean of the dietary/nutrtition school stated most ACC athletic programs have 2 RDs on staff. I believe this has recently been addressed by the AD.

Pretty obvious we had more than our share of injuries, especially on defense.

OL
CB
TE

Yeah Reed's status is pretty important. Hopefully whatever is at issue gets resolved soon.

I think it was Mikel that said things could be better in this area. Last summer he stated that Syracuse did not have a sports related registered dietician. Linton's high school coach stated that the(CUSE) team was getting 1 "training table meal" a day. Most programs get 2 or 3. The dean of the dietary/nutrtition school stated most ACC athletic programs have 2 RDs on staff. I believe this has recently been addressed by the AD.

Pretty obvious we had more than our share of injuries, especially on defense.
Regarding nutrition and having more meal options, I thought you might mention that as we've read comments about that previously. I'm sure other schools may have better food selection and maybe even more prepared meals. Maybe every player gets their own personal meal plan and maybe ours is more generalized because of staffing, I don't know. How much that translates to on field performance though I'm not sure. I'm sure players trying to gain weight were able to eat plenty and had the availability to eat whenever they want. Now players trying to cut weight is mostly sticking to a plan which I have to assume those were in place. Following those plans is more on the individual players though so I'd guess players are more to blame there. Players that are more just maintaining and trying to be healthy and have as much energy as possible I'd guess that we should be doing a sufficient job there. I'm sure this could be better, just not sure how much it has effected on field performance.

But your mention of the Syracuse strength and conditioning staff is more what I am questioning. Seems like they have been doing a good job to me. Certainly not something to make a major emphasis on it being a problem.

I don't think the number of injuries we had was an SU caused issue. Injuries happen. Not sure ours were more plentiful than other teams either.

So... I take it that he didn't make it to campus this semester?

If so, shiz...
This would be a blow. I think he was going to be an important piece of the puzzle this year. Can't someone who has a student there or is a student there verify this?

Regarding nutrition and having more meal options, I thought you might mention that as we've read comments about that previously. I'm sure other schools may have better food selection and maybe even more prepared meals. Maybe every player gets their own personal meal plan and maybe ours is more generalized because of staffing, I don't know. How much that translates to on field performance though I'm not sure. I'm sure players trying to gain weight were able to eat plenty and had the availability to eat whenever they want. Now players trying to cut weight is mostly sticking to a plan which I have to assume those were in place. Following those plans is more on the individual players though so I'd guess players are more to blame there. Players that are more just maintaining and trying to be healthy and have as much energy as possible I'd guess that we should be doing a sufficient job there. I'm sure this could be better, just not sure how much it has effected on field performance.

But your mention of the Syracuse strength and conditioning staff is more what I am questioning. Seems like they have been doing a good job to me. Certainly not something to make a major emphasis on it being a problem.

I don't think the number of injuries we had was an SU caused issue. Injuries happen. Not sure ours were more plentiful than other teams either.

Sports nutrition is a huge competitive advantage. Don't talk yourself into believing otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom