Remember JB’s transition game the first 30 years give or take? | Syracusefan.com

Remember JB’s transition game the first 30 years give or take?

HtownOrange

Living Legend
Is HC Autry bringing it back? With Mintz and JJ, backed up by Copeland, Benny, Bell, and Taylor on the wings and Brown at PF, possibly Benny getting some run at the four also when Bell/Taylor are in, this team is built to run. We red a running center…Edwards, calling Mr. Edwards…

Seriously, the team is built to run and running suits Benny and Bell better, plus Bell may do better in a faster game, too. Judah and JJ are going to run. Are we seeing JB’s old philosophy of tough D transitioning to fast points, high scores and we run opponents out of the Dome.? I miss those games. I hope Autry wants a faster game and lets the kids play the way all kids want to play: FAST!

I don't think any of our wings are capable of that. Our 2 starting guards absolutely. Rest of the team not really... I guess Jesse can run the floor thoguh.

I don't think any of our wings are capable of that. Our 2 starting guards absolutely. Rest of the team not really... I guess Jesse can run the floor thoguh.

I think Bell could because he isn't going to be underneath cleaning the window. Plus modern hoops he will be heading to the corner while Judah and JJ rim run.

Last edited:
Is HC Autry bringing it back? With Mintz and JJ, backed up by Copeland, Benny, Bell, and Taylor on the wings and Brown at PF, possibly Benny getting some run at the four also when Bell/Taylor are in, this team is built to run. We red a running center…Edwards, calling Mr. Edwards…

Seriously, the team is built to run and running suits Benny and Bell better, plus Bell may do better in a faster game, too. Judah and JJ are going to run. Are we seeing JB’s old philosophy of tough D transitioning to fast points, high scores and we run opponents out of the Dome.? I miss those games. I hope Autry wants a faster game and lets the kids play the way all kids want to play: FAST!
I don't think all of the guys you mentioned on the wings will be running for the Orange next year.

Anyone watching the FDU FAU game? Talk about fast pace. Very fun to watch.

Two observations:

Gotta get the rebound first. Haven’t had a glass eater the vast majority of the last 15-20 years.

JAB played fast/employed the break way, way more when we played M2M.

I think Bell could because he isn't going to be underneath cleaning the window
Brown is good at running the floor, too. He will get a lot of the clean-up buckets.
I don't think all of the guys you mentioned on the wings will be running for the Orange next year.
You may be right, I defer to those in the know. I have been working too much to read all the threads and keep up with who may be doing what. This is the first weekend I've had in months to actually read the board for a couple hours.

Roll out the ball Red. Let's go!

My annual posting of the "Syracuse Dunk Tape" from You-Tube has already taken place.

I'd like next year's team to play like Miami has the last couple of years under that other elderly, Jim Larranaga. Use intelligent pressure, (not all-out all the time but always there) to speed the game up and force some turnovers. It energizes their team and causes the other one to malfunction. They made the Elite 8 last year and could again this year. I see no reason we couldn't emulate them.

We've got guys that can run. We need guys that can rebound and outlet quickly. Would love for us to run off of made shots too. I used to hate when UConn would do that to us back in the day.

Ask Stevie Thompson.

44cuse

I watched FAU and FDU last night and it was the most entertaining game I have watched in years.. Run and Gun offense and High pressure Man to Man Defense. If we had that the Dome would be full every night.. Very Entertaining !!

I watched FAU and FDU last night and it was the most entertaining game I have watched in years.. Run and Gun offense and High pressure Man to Man Defense. If we had that the Dome would be full every night.. Very Entertaining !!
Both head coaches may be in demand now.
FDU's Tobin Anderson pulled off the most amazing turnaround ever...from 4-22 season to taking down a #1 seed in the tournament.

For the historians here: What was the reason that JB went from the run-and-gun to the deliberate game with the 2-3? Remember the year where we ended up just short of 100 pts/game?

For the historians here: What was the reason that JB went from the run-and-gun to the deliberate game with the 2-3? Remember the year where we ended up just short of 100 pts/game?

In fairness teams rotate back on defense far better than they did in the gold old days when everyone crashed the boards...

JB rededicated himself to the zone after Flynn, Devo, and Harris left and we did a dramatic 180 in terms of style. I don't think those teams played that fast though just iso based offense first.

It worked out amazingly well we stayed pretty good offensively and given what the Big East was like back then and the NCAA in general it was 100% the move. We played a lot of NCAA games the next 5 years and were the better team on the court almost every one of them should have come away with multiple titles.

2016 and 2018 runs were because of our D. Boeheim had a really good run with his zone pretty recently.

Run and gun can be dangerous. A long pass from Gbinije to McCullough "caused" McCullough's college-playing end. This may have slowed Boeheim down. I don't know. Run and gun is exciting, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom