Reshirt Rules? | Syracusefan.com

Reshirt Rules?

JustSayin

Usually in the Classroom
A number of members got me thinking about how the season would have been like if Hiltz was healthy and playing. I'm fuzzy on the 'Redshirt Rules." I recall that as of 2018, players could play in up to 4 games and still maintain their "redshirt" eligibility. So my questions are these:

1. Does this rule apply to lacrosse? Since everytime I see redshirt rules they generally refer to football.
2. If a player can play in 4 games is true, can it be any 4 games? So, in Hiltz's case, could he play the last 4 games of the season?

Or, should I stop this crazy thinking?

A number of members got me thinking about how the season would have been like if Hiltz was healthy and playing. I'm fuzzy on the 'Redshirt Rules." I recall that as of 2018, players could play in up to 4 games and still maintain their "redshirt" eligibility. So my questions are these:

1. Does this rule apply to lacrosse? Since everytime I see redshirt rules they generally refer to football.
2. If a player can play in 4 games is true, can it be any 4 games? So, in Hiltz's case, could he play the last 4 games of the season?

Or, should I stop this crazy thinking?

The 4 game rule is for football only, if he plays a game this year, the red-shirt is blown. He's going to RS, don't expect him back until the fall.

I thought you could play up to 30% of the games during the 1st half of the season and still take an injury redshirt.

That’s the basketball rule.

I thought you could play up to 30% of the games during the 1st half of the season and still take an injury redshirt.

I am not aware of that being in place for lax but I certainly could have missed it.

This sounds right to me. Not sure about exact percentages but players have definitely gotten injured a few games into the season and been able to redshirt. I don’t think you can come back from injury to play, it’s understood that the injury is a season ender.

That used to be the standard NCAA rule for everyone.

That was for a medical red-shirt if you got hurt in the beginning of the year (or close to it). Not sure that counts if your hurt pre-season and then come back. NCAA is wonky with that stuff

This sounds right to me. Not sure about exact percentages but players have definitely gotten injured a few games into the season and been able to redshirt. I don’t think you can come back from injury to play, it’s understood that the injury is a season ender.

OE is right about the 30% but again but that's for an injury in the beginning of the season that is a season ender. Don't believe it applies if your hurt prior to the year or pre-season and then comeback for 30% or less as your not technically out for the year due to the injury.

I think 4 games is also the rule in lacrosse. Keep in mind to I’m fairly certain any fall games count to.

I think 4 games is also the rule in lacrosse. Keep in mind to I’m fairly certain any fall games count to.

Fall games used to count but they changed the rule a while back.

12.8.4 Hardship Waiver. A student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition by the conference or the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for reasons of "hardship." Hardship is defined as an incapacity resulting from an injury or illness that has occurred under all of the following conditions:

(a) The incapacitating injury or illness occurs in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition at any two-year or four-year collegiate institutions or occurs after the first day of classes in the student-athlete's senior year in high school;

(b) The injury or illness occurs prior to the first competition of the second half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport (see Bylaw 12.8.4.2.4) and results in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season;

(c) In team sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution's scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in the sport. Only scheduled or completed competition against outside participants during the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship, or, if so designated, during the official NCAA championship playing season in that sport (e.g., spring baseball, fall soccer), shall be countable under this limitation in calculating both the number of contests or dates of competition in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition during that season in the sport. Dates of competition that are exempted (e.g., alumni contests, foreign team in the United States) from the maximum permissible number of contests or dates of competition shall count toward the number of contests or dates in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in the season, except for scrimmages and exhibition contests that are specifically identified as such in the sport's Bylaw 17 playing and practice season regulations. Scrimmages and exhibition contests that are not exempted from the maximum permissible number of contests or dates of competition may be excluded from the calculation only if they are identified as such in the sport's Bylaw 17 playing and practice season regulations.

Now none of this matters since we've past the half way point, and Hiltz ain't ready to play anyways.

I think I had it right, 30% applies but can't be used at any point in the season.

So if this the prevailing thinking by the NCAA, then we should not expect Hiltz to return. Even if he is cleared medically to play prior to the end of the season.

So if this the prevailing thinking by the NCAA, then we should not expect Hiltz to return. Even if he is cleared medically to play prior to the end of the season.

He's not coming back this year barring a miracle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom