Restaurant recommendations for the road warriors | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Restaurant recommendations for the road warriors

I used to travel a lot for work and glad I don't anymore. My problem would be that I would always end up at the hotel bar or a sports bar and eat at the bar and have a couple drinks. Hard to stay in shape that way. Do you have a better routine for that?

That being said there are a lot of decent restaurants in the Capital District. We use Yelp also. Some good, honest opinions. A lot depends on where you are at. Schenectady probably has the best places per capita. Troy also. Saratoga speaks for itself. Clifton Park and Latham has mainly pub food. Although someone was talking about Delmonico's the other day and I realized I hadn't been there in a while. City of Albany is embarrassing being the capital of NYS. Very sad what has happened to downtown.

Hotel bar? You can find some real easy "workout partners" if you play your cards right! Just enjoy the food and drinks, and then burn some calories!

Iowa City:

Breakfast: If you're just visiting, Hamburger Inn, regular stop for Presidential candidates on a photo op, and pretty decent, kind of quirky place. Small and usually a wait, but if you're a visitor, probably the most "fun."

Lunch: Z'Mariks Noodle Cafe - I was addicted to this place for a bit. Varies a bit based on dish, but it's even better than Noodles and Company! (That's a chain, I don't believe they have them in NY...and it's much better than that fwiw)

Dinner: Joseph's Steakhouse...but I'm going to come back on this - if you're willing to head out of town a bit, East, there is a really great place, but I can't recall the name. :(

Sports Bar: I do not frequent these places. Lots of unsavory characters dressed oddly and yelling in public.
Brew Pub: Is this where people make their own beer and sell it to you?
Burger Joint: Pullman
Asian: Thai Flavors - The old owners moved back to whatever Asian country they came from (Thailand perhaps?), but the quality was still really high when I was last there.
All Around Best Place: Applebees

Pancheros is a chain, but dammit if it ain't better than Chipotle, QDoba, and all the rest if you just want a plain quesadilla real quick. :) Even better than Taco Bell or Taco Johns! Although Taco Johns sells tater tots...and those are tasty af in a pinch!

If you're thinking of getting pizza in Iowa, or the Midwest generally, consult with transplants first. They have LOTS of bad pizza with good reviews. The pizza is often just excessive amounts of cheese on top of jarred sauce. Double this warning if you're in St. Louis as they have some strange cheese they sometimes use on pizza that should be avoided at all costs.

I'm not doing links! Way too much research!!!!

Alexandria, VA/Rosslyn, VA (with some Washington DC places in the dinner section):

Breakfast: Stomping Ground (fried chicken and biscuits)
Lunch (AKA Quick and or Cheap): The Rosslyn food trucks (my personal recommendation is a yellow food truck called Rice Bowl; it's there on Tuesdays and Thursdays and makes some of the best drunken noodles I've ever had)
Dinner by category:
Asian:
Caphe Bahn Mi (some of the best pho you'll find in the US IMO), Thai Peppers (if you're looking for cheap but solid delivery), Rasika (pricey but incredible Indian food in DC; probably need a reservation well in advance), Diya (affordable but good Indian in Old Town, don't need a reservation)
Need Something Different For Everybody: Farmers Fishers Bakers (huge menu of drink options, wide variety of food options, still good quality), Union Market (a collection of stalls that are all pretty good and wide-ranging)
Italian: Cucina Al Volo (great pasta, personally recommend the lamb ragu), Sfolgina (locations in DC and Rosslyn; again, probably for the pasta; Rosslyn location is brand new, I recommend asking to sit at the kitchen bar where you can watch the chefs make all the pasta right in front of you)
Mexican/Spanish: Urbano 116 (new place that opened up in Old Town, good drinks and tacos), Estadio (very good tapas in DC)
Seafood: Vola's (could have put this in the lunch category; pretty good bang for your buck for seafood)
Spanish/Asian Fusion: China Poblano (weird combination of cuisines, but very good)
Mediterranean: Maydan (recently awarded a michelin star, and it's well-deserved. Amazing food and also just an awesome ambiance. It's kind of a hidden location, and when you walk in, you have a bar downstairs with smoked meat hanging above you; seems like it would be a fun place to grab some drinks before your dinner)
Drinks and Food: Wasn't sure what category to put it in, but St. Anselm is a cool place down near the Union Market area I believe. Just a kinda cool ambiance; hard to describe the vibe it's going for. Not as good as Maydan, but another cool place to grab some drinks and then have a good meal.

Last edited:
Adding to Cuse -

Asian -
Erawans on Erie Blvd for Thai,

Ichiban has my heart for hibachi/sushi/korean.

Lemon Grass in Armory is nice as well for Oriental cuisine.

Seafood - Riley’s

Mexican - Elephant and The Dove

Italian - Either Francesca’s or I have a soft spot for Grimaldi’s.

Manlius NY -
Breakfast: Daves Diner in Cazenovia
Lunch: Gino’s Steak Subs in Fayetteville
Dinner: The Blue Canoe on Tuscarora Lake or Arad Evans in Fayetteville

Syracuse NY -
Breakfast: Rustons Diner in Jamesville.
Lunch: Darwins downtown
Dinner: 317 on Montgomery, Downtown

Ironic that you choose the Dave's Diner in Cazenovia as your Manlius breakfast instead of the Dave's Diner in Manlius.

Nevertheless, got a lunch recommendation there? I find breakfast food generally pretty dull, but I find myself at Dave's for lunch more often than I would like. The staff are very friendly, but the food is hit or miss. What's your must-order at lunchtime? (I like the burger, but it's not transcendent or anything, it's a burger. In terms of its neighborhood competition, it's better than Cafe 119, not as good as Scenic Root, and difficult to compare to that which is served at good old Burger King...)

Ironic that you choose the Dave's Diner in Cazenovia as your Manlius breakfast instead of the Dave's Diner in Manlius.

Nevertheless, got a lunch recommendation there? I find breakfast food generally pretty dull, but I find myself at Dave's for lunch more often than I would like. The staff are very friendly, but the food is hit or miss. What's your must-order at lunchtime? (I like the burger, but it's not transcendent or anything, it's a burger. In terms of its neighborhood competition, it's better than Cafe 119, not as good as Scenic Root, and difficult to compare to that which is served at good old Burger King...)
Significantly better food/service at the Caz location + an in diner Cafe Kubal.

Lunch wise around Manlius if you like sushi at all Good Time Sushi in Manlius is great, as is the all you can eat deal at Oriental Star in Fayetteville.

The Ridge, between Manlius and Chittenango, has a solid lunch. But if I really want great food I make the drive over to Dewitt and grab lunch at Dark Horse Tavern

Burger wise... bull and bear in fayetteville is probably your best bet

Significantly better food/service at the Caz location + an in diner Cafe Kubal.

Lunch wise around Manlius if you like sushi at all Good Time Sushi in Manlius is great, as is the all you can eat deal at Oriental Star in Fayetteville.

The Ridge, between Manlius and Chittenango, has a solid lunch. But if I really want great food I make the drive over to Dewitt and grab lunch at Dark Horse Tavern

Burger wise... bull and bear in fayetteville is probably your best bet

Oh, my bad, I meant a lunch rec actually at Dave's Diner.

The sushi place in Manlius is solid, I like it, it's a nice option to have.

Oh, my bad, I meant a lunch rec actually at Dave's Diner.

The sushi place in Manlius is solid, I like it, it's a nice option to have.

Ahh honestly I’d stick to the burger or turkey club. I can’t remember if they still have it but the hot roast beef/or turkey and gravy sandwich is great too

Last edited:
Manhattan - I try to scout out places to eat in NYC that is good and affordable and fun to be at. I tend to revisit places I like but I'm always looking for new to try.

Favorite lunch or dinner or late night place is Veselka. Hard to beat for value. Its in the east village which may discourage some but I like the east village.

Fanelli's Cafe in SOHO is value as well. Great diner food and the servers have the best tattoos.

The Wren is also in SOHO with a really tasty bar menu. Although sometimes I feel really old there.

Any suggestions for good cheap eats in NYC I would love to hear.

Manhattan - I try to scout out places to eat in NYC that is good and affordable and fun to be at. I tend to revisit places I like but I'm always looking for new to try.

Favorite lunch or dinner or late night place is Veselka. Hard to beat for value. Its in the east village which may discourage some but I like the east village.

Fanelli's Cafe in SOHO is value as well. Great diner food and the servers have the best tattoos.

The Wren is also in SOHO with a really tasty bar menu. Although sometimes I feel really old there.

A very random one that popped into my head: Angela's on 6th Avenue (just south of Central Park South). It's a totally unremarkable deli, but they've got a deep menu, and they're surrounded by a) tourist traps and b) extraordinarily expensive restaurants. So it's kind of a little oasis for a quick bite.

I heartily second Veselka. And the East Village in general. But Veselka is both a neighborhood fixture and worth a walk or train ride. It's really good. Burger and a borscht, love it.

Near the World Trade Center (on Nassau), people love the heroes at Pisillo. Never been, they've got limited hours and last time I was in the area the line was out the door. Breakroom in Chinatown is a kind of atypical quick bite and a drink kind of place that's pretty good and inexpensive. Mamoun's in the West Village has great falafel. Prince Street Pizza is cheap and quick. Blue Ribbon Chicken's right nearby there.

A little farther north, Num Pang (I think they've got other locations too) also makes great sandwiches for about $10.

Midtown, the food hall at Vanderbilt Hall usually has some very good and very inexpensive options. Obviously the burgers at the Burger Joint in the Parker Meridien are a renowned cheap eats option a little farther north (oddly enough I've never been).

I've got others. And that's only Manhattan south of the park. In Brooklyn, the list starts with L&B Spumoni Gardens in Bensonhurst and goes to Defonte's (Red Hook) and Mill Basin Deli (Marine Park/Mill Basin) from there...

Last edited:

K-Town:

Korean Fried Chicken - Turntable
Korean BBQ - Jongro

I spend way too much time in K-Town, and those are my two favs...Korean BBQ is obviously MUCH better eats, but Turntable is just a cool spot with great food imo.

K-Town:

Korean Fried Chicken - Turntable
Korean BBQ - Jongro

I spend way too much time in K-Town, and those are my two favs...Korean BBQ is obviously MUCH better eats, but Turntable is just a cool spot with great food imo.

Also, Pocha 32. Big fan!

Hometown: Buffalo
Favorite Wing Spot(s): Kellys Corner, Mammossers, 9-11 Tavern
Favorite Pizza: Leonardi's
That's all that I eat when I go back so no idea what else is great there nowadays. No reason to eat anything else.

Current Hometown: College Station, TX
Best BBQ - Truth BBQ in Brenham, top 10 in the state, therefore the world.
Best Breakfast Tacos - Coco Loco
Best place to get a feel for a SEC town - Dixie Chicken
Best place to spend a Wed night - Trivia at O'Bannon's with 50 taps all 1/2 off with some big time stouts.
Best place for pizza & wings - Drive to Austin or Houston and fly back to NY.

Prior Home: Tampa, FL
Best Brewery: Angry Chair
Favorite Spot to hang out by the beach: Willie's Burgers and Booze
Outrageous meal for next to nothing: Annata on Tuesday nights in St Pete. Oxtail Tortellini is ridiculous.
Best Happy Hour: Cooters in Clearwater Beach - 70 cent Wings/Shrimp/Oysters and $1.25 beers everyday from 3-6.
Top Notch Dive Bar: Skippers Smokehouse

Prior Home: San Diego, CA
Best thing about San Diego: Baja California 20 mins south.
Best California Burrito: Nico's or Lolitas
Best Tacos: Tacos El Gordo in Chula Vista or Tacos El Franc in Tijuana.
Best place to spend a few hours: Plaza Fiesta in Tijuana
Best Pre/Post-Padres game: Grab a burrito at Lolitas and walk 5 mins over to Mission Brewery
Food item not to miss - Any fried chicken option at Crack Shack
Best beer/food hack: Grab Pad Kee Mao to go at JTs street food and walk over to the original Ballast Point homebrew store.

Prior Home: Monterey, CA
Best Brewery: Alvarado Street Brewery
Best Burrito: Carne Asada at Baldimeros or Chili Verde at Taqueria Zarape
Best way to spend the day: Drive down highway 1 into Big Sur for a hike and then stop at Big Sur Taphouse if on a normal budget or the Post Ranch Inn if on a baller budget.
Best camping spot in the US: Spot 1 or Spot 2 at Julie Pfeiffer Burns State Park. Have to book months in advance but camp on the cliffs over McWay Falls and the Pacific.

OTTAWA

Breakfast: Fraser Cafe...Wilf & Ada seems to be universally regarded as the best...I'm not in love with it though.

Lunch: Whalesbone

Dinner: Sidedoor is my fav, but mainly because it's close to my place, and I just like the vibe & food is great. Ottawa is obsessed with tapas...and the most pretentious place to eat in the world. Way over-focused on clever naming, and less focused on taste.

Other Notable Suggestions: Mati (best food), Riviera (good food, and cool spot)

Anyway, I think I have been everywhere in Ottawa, every SINGLE place, so if you do end up here by mistake, I'm an expert on high end, low end, and the food court scene...which is very different as they rarely have chains outside of KFC and Subway. :)

Best Spot For a Tourist: Get drinks at the Fairmount, good drinks, awful food, but brunch is quite respectable.

Sports Bar: Senate Tavern
Brew Pub: Flora Hall Brewing (Yes, I have one!)
Burger Joint: Bite Burger House
Asian: Table Sodam (Korean)
All Around Best Place: Applebees...if they even had ONE!

Do not get pizza in Ottawa! Under any circumstances.

If you love Bubble Tea...great place to visit!

Last edited:
Brooklyn near Dekalb Market

Diner - Carrol Gardens Classic Diner

I’m a dog person first, and a breakfast person second. This place was awesome.

OTTAWA

Breakfast: Fraser Cafe...Wilf & Ada seems to be universally regarded as the best...I'm not in love with it though.

Lunch: Whalesbone

Dinner: Sidedoor is my fav, but mainly because it's close to my place, and I just like the vibe & food is great. Ottawa is obsessed with tapas...and the most pretentious place to eat in the world. Way over-focused on clever naming, and less focused on taste.

Other Notable Suggestions: Mati (best food), Riviera (good food, and cool spot)

Anyway, I think I have been everywhere in Ottawa, every SINGLE place, so if you do end up here by mistake, I'm an expert on high end, low end, and the food court scene...which is very different as they rarely have chains outside of KFC and Subway. :)

Best Spot For a Tourist: Get drinks at the Fairmount, good drinks, awful food, but brunch is quite respectable.

Sports Bar: Senate Tavern
Brew Pub: Flora Hall Brewing (Yes, I have one!)
Burger Joint: Bite Burger House
Asian: Table Sodam (Korean)
All Around Best Place: Applebees...if they even had ONE!

Do not get pizza in Ottawa! Under any circumstances.

If you love Bubble Tea...great place to visit!
Local Heroes for sports bar?

Local Heroes for sports bar?

I've heard of that! Never been.

I never get outside of Ottawa proper tbh - I have no car, live right in the Market, and walk to work. I've been to Westboro quite a bit, but that's about as far West as I go and Rockcliffe/New Edinburg to the East. Everything else remains a mystery!

I've heard of that! Never been.

I never get outside of Ottawa proper tbh - I have no car, live right in the Market, and walk to work. I've been to Westboro quite a bit, but that's about as far West as I go and Rockcliffe/New Edinburg to the East. Everything else remains a mystery!
The market is awesome. No need to go anywhere else

A very random one that popped into my head: Angela's on 6th Avenue (just south of Central Park South). It's a totally unremarkable deli, but they've got a deep menu, and they're surrounded by a) tourist traps and b) extraordinarily expensive restaurants. So it's kind of a little oasis for a quick bite.

I heartily second Veselka. And the East Village in general. But Veselka is both a neighborhood fixture and worth a walk or train ride. It's really good. Burger and a borscht, love it.

Near the World Trade Center (on Nassau), people love the heroes at Pisillo. Never been, they've got limited hours and last time I was in the area the line was out the door. Breakroom in Chinatown is a kind of atypical quick bite and a drink kind of place that's pretty good and inexpensive. Mamoun's in the West Village has great falafel. Prince Street Pizza is cheap and quick. Blue Ribbon Chicken's right nearby there.

A little farther north, Num Pang (I think they've got other locations too) also makes great sandwiches for about $10.

Midtown, the food hall at Vanderbilt Hall usually has some very good and very inexpensive options. Obviously the burgers at the Burger Joint in the Parker Meridien are a renowned cheap eats option a little farther north (oddly enough I've never been).

I've got others. And that's only Manhattan south of the park. In Brooklyn, the list starts with L&B Spumoni Gardens in Bensonhurst and goes to Defonte's (Red Hook) and Mill Basin Deli (Marine Park/Mill Basin) from there...
Love the East village too, and lived there for a few years

Veselka is great, and one of the few fixtures in that neighborhood that has managed to survive 20-30 years

Cafe Mogador (Moroccan) on St Marks is another old school place that is awesome. I normally go for dinner and get one of the tangines

Bars - can't beat the combination of McSorley's (a landmark) and Burp Castle (cool Belgian beers) on one block (7th street)

I'm definitely going to check out Angela's. I love places like that are a bastion of reality in a sea of trend.

Quick Veselka story; A friend has a grouchy uncle in his 80's who owns a condo a couple doors down from the restaurant. He eats there multiple times a week and is not especially nice to the staff. Even so, if he doesn't show up for a couple days a manager will call on him to check if he's ok and deliver food to him if he is under the weather. Sometimes I love humanity.

Love the East village too, and lived there for a few years

Veselka is great, and one of the few fixtures in that neighborhood that has managed to survive 20-30 years

Cafe Mogador (Moroccan) on St Marks is another old school place that is awesome. I normally go for dinner and get one of the tangines

Bars - can't beat the combination of McSorley's (a landmark) and Burp Castle (cool Belgian beers) on one block (7th street)

I'm putting Cafe Mogador on my list!

I'm definitely going to check out Angela's. I love places like that are a bastion of reality in a sea of trend.

Quick Veselka story; A friend has a grouchy uncle in his 80's who owns a condo a couple doors down from the restaurant. He eats there multiple times a week and is not especially nice to the staff. Even so, if he doesn't show up for a couple days a manager will call on him to check if he's ok and deliver food to him if he is under the weather. Sometimes I love humanity.

Speaking of a bastion of reality in a sea of trend!

Veselka is all that and a cup of borscht. Love that they've got so many old regulars in the neighborhood.

Julian CA. Romano's Italian restaurant. Great food, unfinishable portions.

Follow up with Mom's for apple pie.

The Crack Shack in San Diego for chicken with duck fat fries.

The Mission in San Diego for breakfast