Restaurant recommendations for the road warriors | Syracusefan.com

Restaurant recommendations for the road warriors

CuseFaninVT

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Rebounder
Okay, been thinking on this one for a bit. As I’ve mentioned multiple times over the years, I travel extensively for work. I’ve worked in all 50 states multiple times, as well as the USVI, Canada and Portugal.

Yelp has become my go to tool in recent years, as I really don’t like chain restaurants when I’ve got other options. But having first hand recommendations would be fantastic, and hopefully a little bit of fun.

So, here’s my ask. Give me your personal home town recommendations. I’ll do the same. And then add little gems you find along the way, and I’ll do the same.

Manlius NY -
Breakfast: Daves Diner in Cazenovia
Lunch: Gino’s Steak Subs in Fayetteville
Dinner: The Blue Canoe on Tuscarora Lake or Arad Evans in Fayetteville

Syracuse NY -
Breakfast: Rustons Diner in Jamesville.
Lunch: Darwins downtown
Dinner: 317 on Montgomery, Downtown

And here are mine for you folks who might travel to the Greater Burlington VT area -

Breakfast - Rustic Roots in Shelburne VT. Rustic Roots | A Craft Eatery | Shelburne Village, Vermont or Sneakers in Winooski, VT. Sneakers Bistro | Serving Breakfast & Lunch Since 1980 | Winooski, VT
Lunch - Our House Bistro in Winooski, VT Our House Bistro | Restaurants in Winooski, VT & Plattsburgh, NY or Martone's Market and Cafe in Essex Junction for a monster sandwich. Martone's Market & Deli - Essex Junction, Vermont
Dinner - Romantic/Upscale version - Starry Night Cafe - N. Ferrisburg. Starry Night Café | Restaurant & Bar | Ferrisburg, VT or Tuesday night need something really good - ArtsRiot - Burlington. https://www.artsriot.com/ (My wife's personal favorite)

I'm going to need to think on these other categories

Sports Bar
Brew Pub
Burger Joint
Asian - Tiny Thai in Winooski. Tiny Thai Restaurant | Home Be forewarned, it's BYOB. Pho Hong in Burlington. Pho Hong Cheap takeout Chinese - Home (Don't be scared off by the looks of the place, the food is great)

Last edited:
You'll see that I'm a bit of a fan of brewpubs as I go on with this.

Found this one last fall. They were having some issues with their own equipment, so they were serving other beers, but they picked some great ones. But the food was outstanding.

Gear House Brewing, Chambersburg, PA - GearHouse Brewing Co.

Last edited:
Best brewpub within driving distance of Syracuse, and potentially the best in CNY is Prison City Brewery in Auburn NY.

National renowned IPA, their Mass Riot is the best DIPA I’ve ever had. Food’s comfort there too.

I have tried a bunch. I like darker beers.
Like seafood? i know bees could get behind my suggestion of Fish Friar, in the heart of downtown. I recall a robust beer menu with a variety if darker beers accompanying great food

And here are mine for you folks who might travel to the Greater Burlington VT area -

Breakfast - Rustic Roots in Shelburne VT. Rustic Roots | A Craft Eatery | Shelburne Village, Vermont or Sneakers in Winooski, VT. Sneakers Bistro | Serving Breakfast & Lunch Since 1980 | Winooski, VT
Lunch - Our House Bistro in Winooski, VT Our House Bistro | Restaurants in Winooski, VT & Plattsburgh, NY or Martone's Market and Cafe in Ess e x Junction for a monster sandwich. Martone's Market & Deli - Ess e x Junction, Vermont
Dinner - Romantic/Upscale version - Starry Night Cafe - N. Ferrisburg. Starry Night Café | Restaurant & Bar | Ferrisburg, VT or Tuesday night need something really good - ArtsRiot - Burlington. https://www.artsriot.com/ (My wife's personal favorite)

I'm going to need to think on these other categories

Sports Bar
Brew Pub
Burger Joint
Asian - Tiny Thai in Winooski. Tiny Thai Restaurant | Home Be forewarned, it's BYOB. Pho Hong in Burlington. Pho Hong Cheap takeout Chinese - Home (Don't be scared off by the looks of the place, the food is great)

Had a good meal at Leunig's about a decade ago when my sister was at UVM. Still there? Any good?

Had a good meal at Leunig's about a decade ago when my sister was at UVM. Still there? Any good?
My wife and I have a saying about leunigs. “It’s fine.” I’ve never had a bad meal there, but also never a great one.

Edit - I’ve never been a giant fan of traditional French dining, and that’s definitely their leaning, so that might weigh into my thoughts on the place.

You try Prohibition Pig in Waterbury? Always like that place. Agree with you on our house in Winooski which is fantastic

You try Prohibition Pig in Waterbury? Always like that place. Agree with you on our house in Winooski which is fantastic
I worked in Waterbury for 3.5 years up until July. Yup been there a bunch. Good stuff, but I like Black Back across the street, or Bluestone around the corner. There's a place in town that makes some awesome and monstrous burritos. Azlans.

I worked in Waterbury for 3.5 years up until July. Yup been there a bunch. Good stuff, but I like Black Back across the street, or Bluestone around the corner. There's a place in town that makes some awesome and monstrous burritos. Azlans.

Bluestone is great too

Okay, been thinking on this one for a bit. As I’ve mentioned multiple times over the years, I travel extensively for work. I’ve worked in all 50 states multiple times, as well as the USVI, Canada and Portugal.

Yelp has become my go to tool in recent years, as I really don’t like chain restaurants when I’ve got other options. But having first hand recommendations would be fantastic, and hopefully a little bit of fun.

So, here’s my ask. Give me your personal home town recommendations. I’ll do the same. And then add little gems you find along the way, and I’ll do the same.
I used to travel a lot for work and glad I don't anymore. My problem would be that I would always end up at the hotel bar or a sports bar and eat at the bar and have a couple drinks. Hard to stay in shape that way. Do you have a better routine for that?

That being said there are a lot of decent restaurants in the Capital District. We use Yelp also. Some good, honest opinions. A lot depends on where you are at. Schenectady probably has the best places per capita. Troy also. Saratoga speaks for itself. Clifton Park and Latham has mainly pub food. Although someone was talking about Delmonico's the other day and I realized I hadn't been there in a while. City of Albany is embarrassing being the capital of NYS. Very sad what has happened to downtown.

Hey! Recommend a restaurant or move it along!
Just tried the Preserve in Syracuse. I had the spicy penne with hot Giannelli sausage. My wife had brisket. Other couple had various. All were excellent. The also had a pistachio cake and a lemon/blueberry cake, which they all enjoyed. 4 adults, beverages and 2 desserts, came out to about $120.00, with tip.

Just tried the Preserve in Syracuse. I had the spicy penne with hot Giannelli sausage. My wife had brisket. Other couple had various. All were excellent. The also had a pistachio cake and a lemon/blueberry cake, which they all enjoyed. 4 adults, beverages and 2 desserts, came out to about $120.00, with tip.
Their riggies are outstanding

I used to travel a lot for work and glad I don't anymore. My problem would be that I would always end up at the hotel bar or a sports bar and eat at the bar and have a couple drinks. Hard to stay in shape that way. Do you have a better routine for that?

That being said there are a lot of decent restaurants in the Capital District. We use Yelp also. Some good, honest opinions. A lot depends on where you are at. Schenectady probably has the best places per capita. Troy also. Saratoga speaks for itself. Clifton Park and Latham has mainly pub food. Although someone was talking about Delmonico's the other day and I realized I hadn't been there in a while. City of Albany is embarrassing being the capital of NYS. Very sad what has happened to downtown.

(Relatively) Recently in "Albany" i've eaten at Athos, Barcelona, 677 Prime, City Line, Provence, Black and Blue, and Mezzanotte. That's probably how i'd rank them. If you like sushi, I dig Sake Cafe off New Scotland near Albany Med, and Akanomi in Guilderland. Sushi Tei for ramen. It's not a real interesting scene, but there are some good restaurants.

(Relatively) Recently in "Albany" i've eaten at Athos, Barcelona, 677 Prime, City Line, Provence, Black and Blue, and Mezzanotte. That's probably how i'd rank them. If you like sushi, I dig Sake Cafe off New Scotland near Albany Med, and Akanomi in Guilderland. Sushi Tei for ramen. It's not a real interesting scene, but there are some good restaurants.
I was thinking downtown. Like 677 Prime. I grew up right in Albany off Whitehall Rd so I consider those others Guilderland. However not a bad strip heading west on Western. I've never eaten at Athos or Barcelona. How were they? Cafe Calabria also. They do a nice job. But, does anyone go downtown anymore? It's very sad considering how vibrant Troy and Schenectady are.

I was thinking downtown. Like 677 Prime. I grew up right in Albany off Whitehall Rd so I consider those others Guilderland. However not a bad strip heading west on Western. I've never eaten at Athos or Barcelona. How were they? Cafe Calabria also. They do a nice job. But, does anyone go downtown anymore? It's very sad considering how vibrant Troy and Schenectady are.

You're right on the geography. I think Athos is higher-level stuff. Best meals I've ever had in Albany were from there and Cafe Italia (where I havent been for years- two little kids'll do it). Was just at 677 on Saturday evening though. Had an excellent meal, but you're definitely paying for what you get.

My sister lives near Albany Med so this is very useful!

Troy has done a nice job. They’ve got some good food and cool little shops now, kind of like Lark St. used to be in its heyday.

I just now saw that Jose Malone’s is closed and has been since 2015. That was a nice little place.

Last edited:
My sister lives near Albany Med so this is very useful!
My colleague lives in that neighborhood (Helderberg). He and his wife are foodies, and they love Navona. I haven't been yet, but Mrs. Shrmdougluvr works over that way, so it's just a matter of time. Same plaza that the aforementioned Sake Cafe is in, as well as The Fountain, which is an institution over that way.

This thread isn't nearly as interesting as I imagined it would be!!!! It's like a I-90 Food Roadshow! :)

j/k...the food threads are always great.

I'll throw some suggestions down in a bit