Reviews of bier, wine, scotch and cigars... | Syracusefan.com

Reviews of bier, wine, scotch and cigars...

MCC

Starter
I've been contacted by several denizens of the board who appear to share common interests; it appears that reviews of biers, wine, scotch and cigars are of interest to a fair number of posters. My intent here is to trigger consumption of substances that merit consumption - price point be damned, these things are worth the coin.

In light of said interest I'd like to start posting fairly regular reviews of notable potables, with the occasional juxtaposition of cuisine (with recipes) and cigars (when needed).

What say you: should I start with bier or wine or...? I hope these reviews lead to spirited (ha!) debate on matters of the palate.

(NB: I'll be less wordy once the actual reviews start.)

s9178_1__76923.1405346819.600.600.jpg

I say go for it. About three months ago I started eating low-carb with one consequence being that I've begun drinking whiskey (as a replacement for beer) for the first time since college. So I say start there. You could do an article comparing American whiskeys and then another for Scotch or something like that.

i've started drinking red wine and being that there are a million different kinds i'd love a thread reviewing this stuff. i've also switched from IPAs to Lagers and beer reviews would be key. wine, whiskey and beer review thread sounds good to me.

i've started drinking red wine and being that there are a million different kinds i'd love a thread reviewing this stuff. i've also switched from IPAs to Lagers and beer reviews would be key. wine, whiskey and beer review thread sounds good to me.
I am no wine snob, by any stretch. But if you like red wine try any French red wine that has Cote du Rhone on the label. This means that the wine is from the a Cote du Rhone region of France. The majority of the reds are blends, and VERY smooth. They also have a wide range of price, so don't think that the most expensive one is the best. There are some duds, but very, very few. As a matter of fact, my wife hated reds until she tried these. It's all she will drink , wine wise. Give them a try.
image.jpg

I am no wine snob, by any stretch. But if you like red wine try any French red wine that has Cote du Rhone on the label. This means that the wine is from the a Cote du Rhone region of France. The majority of the reds are blends, and VERY smooth. They also have a wide range of price, so don't think that the most expensive one is the best. There are some duds, but very, very few. As a matter of fact, my wife hated reds until she tried these. It's all she will drink , wine wise. Give them a try.
View attachment 28949

Get yourself one of these, mon ami. It's both a fun and informative read.

9781569802618.gif

View attachment 28949

I'll give them a look, like to try new ones. I'm definitely not a wine snob either, I look under $15 a bottle and usually don't stray over $12.

Review: Ardbeg Corryvreckan
Islay single malt scotch Cask Strength
ardbeg-corryvreckan-single-malt-scotch-whisky-islay-scotland-10390342.jpg

So this is a cask strength scotch; a single malt fron the Islay region of Scotland. Ardbeg makes famously peaty and oily scotches, in fact some of the most phenolic deliveries around. ABV = 57.1% so be prepared. I personally can't stomach those who dilute a cask strength with water. Sack up and drink it as is.

Notes: huge peat and oil themes, slick on the tongue. Very faint cloves, and almost indiscernible Tremendous mouthfeel. Burn is muted by near-hickory and char notes that are difficult to translate. Faint apple on the nose, but totally ephemeral - just sets you up for the oil delivery. Wonderful peppery burn on the lips; the high ABV guarantees same. Sweet slick alcohol, a marriage of woody cinnamon and superior cognac (e.g. Pierre Ferrand - I can review these later if the board wants) on the back end - but again so fleeting due to the astronomical ABV. Fourth sip is so smooth; this is just a tremendous drink. Has turned velvety-pins and the ABV makes it a near ghost-pepper on the lips. That said I know how to blunt and sweeten it: give me a moment to light a Rocky Patel 1992 (cigar)...

So I've lit and had a few draws on the RP; it's transformed the Corryvreckan into a much sweeter - in fact bordering on cloying - exercise. That said, let's give it time: no scotch of this caliber will be cowed by a twirl of tobacco.

Back at it. Less sweet; had several bites of thick cowboy ribeye: closer to rare than medium rare, I'd be happy to share my steak algorithm with interested parties: just let me know! The RP is mellowing the Corry nicely. I'm now extracting some tea notes - the Chinese "gunpowder" pellets come to mind.

Time to extract the deeper secrets of the Corryvreckan; heading outside onto my deck to drink in the cold crisp fall airs and watch the (slowly rebuilding) brown bat population pick off the motheringcocksucking mosquitos... valiant bodyguards to the end, my fluttering friends.

Emptied the proper crystal tumbler, a full rendering requires a third "two fingers" pour.

Nose yields bark-apple with the slightest hints of pear, but better yet the tumbler ensconced in warm hands offers the same woody cinnamon notes along with something leathery (leathery yet snappy, reminds me of Devo's "Whip It" video): this is just an awesome experience. Frankly, I love good scotch...

I'm off to finish the RP 92 and a fair bit of Corryvreckan. The Corry is just a great cask strength and well worth the price point of $89.99 / bottle - totally reasonable given that this is pure unalduterated awesomesauce.

I hope folks read this review and if it resonates please post affirmatively; I have a retinue of retinae (a thousand eyes and one for the ASOIAF readers) to deploy in these pursuits.

Enjoy and indulge -

- MCC

I've never said to myself at 9am, let's go buy a $90 bottle of scotch today.

But after that review I may have to. Thanks MCC! Looking forward to more

Review: Ardbeg Corryvreckan
Islay single malt scotch Cask Strength
ardbeg-corryvreckan-single-malt-scotch-whisky-islay-scotland-10390342.jpg

Enjoy and indulge -

- MCC
Sounds great but I can only take Islay in small doses. Wouldn't buy a whole bottle but hopefully I can find a bar that carries it.

Sounds great but I can only take Islay in small doses. Wouldn't buy a whole bottle but hopefully I can find a bar that carries it.

I can't get Islays past my nose, either, but don't let that hinder the process here. It was a good review, regardless. :)

i need some recommendations for a tasty rye whiskey. girl at the store was zero help. preferably canadien.

rye fizz:
http://www.tastingtable.com/entry_detail/chefs_recipes/18141/How_to_Make_a_Rye_Fizz.htm
I'm no snob since I drink Crown Royal or Canadian Club. I find both tasty enough for my needs. I just mix it with some ginger ale or sprite if ginger ale is not available. For your recipe, Crown makes a Maple version which would be perfect for what you were looking for. I tried some at a taste testing at my local liquor store but I couldn't drink it. It was like drinking maple syrup straight up. Let me know how it is after you make it.
http://www.crownwineandspirits.com/crown-royal-maple-finished-canadian-whisky-750ml/

Looking for a good rye? Try Ri or high west. Not high end but still good stuff. 30-40 a bottle. Just don't go mixing it in soda.

Btw, fabulous review, MCC. I wish I could reciprocate bit my palate can't match yours. I hope you keep posting reviews even though I (and probably most) won't be able to hold up our end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom