Rewatched highlights of last year's game - some takeaways

FrancoPizza

2018 Iggy Leading Minutes Per Game Winner
Etienne won that game all by himself, generational talent, but our open-field tackling in that game was incredible. 50-yard runs became 15-yarders because we wrapped up. And then we got them into 3rd and longs to stop some of their drives.

Looking at this film we need to sort of overcommit to stopping Etienne and take our chances with Iffy on Ross. Play the receivers straight up, bump them, be aggressive. Worst case, hold or PI is only 15 yards. If we see more of this soft zone BS it's going to be a long night.

On O - I was surprised to see how often our receivers were able to win 1-on-1 battles in man coverage. Eric connected on a few but several others were also there, especially when Clemson went to cover zero a few times. Gives me a glimmer of hope that their aggressive style gives us a chance of breaking a long TD pass. Hopefully Venables is too cocky to modify the aggressive pressure because that might play into Tommy's advantage -- if he can survive taking a few hits. Obviously part of their strategy was to commit extra defenders to Dungey. If Venables recognizes that they can sit back and wait for our O-line to implode against a 4 or 5 man pressure, I don't know if Tommy has the experience to take what's there.

Eric's career was up and down but he was such a gamer - made plays and moved the chains against the toughest opposition and showed no fear. We need to re-capture that mentality on O somehow.

reedny

Stable Genius
I would love to see us show a quick passing game, to negate their rush and mask our current OL PP issues. On D I agree with you that getting to Etienne early is critical. If we let him get in space it's lights out. Clemson has so many skill players and they also can run RPO (like UM only better). Hope our D keeps us in the game.

FrancoPizza

I would love to see us show a quick passing game, to negate their rush and mask our current OL PP issues. On D I agree with you that getting to Etienne early is critical. If we let him get in space it's lights out. Clemson has so many skill players and they also can run RPO (like UM only better). Hope our D keeps us in the game.
I’m not worried about their RPO because sunshine is not gonna win this on keepers. They won’t risk getting him hit.

reedny

Stable Genius
I’m not worried about their RPO because sunshine is not gonna win this on keepers. They won’t risk getting him hit.
Maybe not after what happened to TL last year. But that's okay, since we can't defend the RPO (yet).

PhatOrange

Living Legend
Agreed 100%.

I'm worried because against Maryland in the 2nd quarter and at least to start the 3rd we should have over committed to stopping Maryland on the ground and we didn't. We like the zone more now because of our defensive ends and supposed pass rush. The lack of noticeable adjustments by Ward was concerning. So it'll be interesting to see what strategy they employ against Clemson.

Clemson won't get cute and overthink things here. They're going to have Etienne punish our 4-2-5 between the tackles. We need to load up and stop it. Force them to pass against man and get after Sunshine or he will tear apart our zone. Lets hope we can generate some turnovers - ya know like a guy randomly dropping a punt.

Defensively Clemson only need to rush 4. This might be a dink and dunk game for us.

Last edited:

FasterCuse

Scout Team
I'm stating the obvious here, but we need to sustain drives on offense and "shorten" the game. The fewer possessions the Clemson offense has the better. If that means dinking and dunking for 3 yards a play then that's what we need do. I'm going to be upset if I see 2 dives up the middle and then a bomb on 3rd and long, while we've only taken 45 seconds off the clock.

AAM62

Starter
not sure, he's been pretty mobile thus far

TheCusian

Living Legend
I'm stating the obvious here, but we need to sustain drives on offense and "shorten" the game. The fewer possessions the Clemson offense has the better. If that means dinking and dunking for 3 yards a play then that's what we need do. I'm going to be upset if I see 2 dives up the middle and then a bomb on 3rd and long, while we've only taken 45 seconds off the clock.
this is a touch meaty for my liking - I agree on the two dives and running up the gut. But we must take shots to win

FrancoPizza

Agree. Last week against A&M he had several nice runs.
Good, maybe he'll pull a hammy. I'll take my chances with him instead of their Tecmo-Bowl Bo Jackson RB.

FasterCuse

Scout Team
A touch meaty? OP Is 32 OZ porterhouse meaty.
I'm not saying we don't take any shots, we just need to be strategic about it. 3 and outs drive after drive isn't going to keep this close. Also, I don't think running the clock strategically is meathead... too many on this board confuse running the ball mixed with short pass routes as meathead.

care taker

Finally a starter
I looked up our stats from last year 3-15 third downs 61 yards rushing we were not good
Fortunately Clemson w three 3 Qb weren’t good either ... we were lucky last 2 times we knocked there Qb out just saying ... only emotion can help us Saturday! Do your part

FrancoPizza

I looked up our stats from last year 3-15 third downs 61 yards rushing we were not good
Fortunately Clemson w three 3 Qb weren’t good either ... we were lucky last 2 times we knocked there Qb out just saying ... only emotion can help us Saturday! Do your part
The players know what they have to do then.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom