Rewatched the game last night | Syracusefan.com

Rewatched the game last night

RF2044

Living Legend
First of all, it feels terrific to win a road game like this, where we had to overcome adversity. We've been SO CLOSE these past three games, nice to finally get one to go our way. I have a feeling that this victory catapults us momentum-wise into what will eventually be viewed as the highly successful Garrett Shrader era of Syracuse football. Kid is going to be a problem for our opponents [he already is].

A couple of quick observations:

• Virginia Tech players are a bunch of punks. Especially #31 [Peoples], who was jawing and shoving -- uncalled of course -- after many plays. They had an OL also try to draw personal foul penalty after a play by pretending that he'd been shoved and falling down. Honestly, they act like Miami-lite out there -- glad we handed them a defeat.

• Tucker continues to impress. VT sold out to take him away in the second half, and that's when things open up with Shrader / the passing game. Speaking of which...

• The passing game is emerging. Against Liberty, the coaches didn't trust Shrader to throw, and played it as conservative as possible. He's proving now that he can throw just enough to keep defenses honest.

• Too many big play runs. I didn't notice McKinley Williams playing today, so maybe we were "soft" inside. We haven't given up those types of explosive plays all year long.

• The final possession at the end of the first half was absurd. Enough said.

• Given how the last few games have unfolded, I wouldn't have been remotely surprised if the special teams kicking miscues would have cost us the game. To let them return a blocked XP for a 2 point safety, and to come away empty at the end of the first half -- that was a lot to overcome. I was sweating out those two points at the end, prior to Shrader's / Alford's heroics -- could have cost us the game.

• Seemed like we were toast when we went down two scores. Kudos to our offense for getting a TD, and then using timeouts properly to force them to punt the ball back. Hanna had a huge, huge sack on 3rd down.

• Can't say enough about Shrader's play down the stretch. Moving the sticks, getting out of bounds, finding a way to pick up first downs, etc. And to say that he hung in the pocket on that last throw would be a massive understatement -- kid got crushed, but hung in there to make the best possible throw.

• Alford... wow. That VT defender never even knew that the ball was coming. Still can't believe it.

• VT has always been one of the schools I've loathed the most. Happy to see all of their dejected fans walk out in stunned silence.

• Huge game next week against BC -- must win. Need to gut it out at all costs to get the "W." Then, we have a much-needed bye week to rest, recuperate, and heal up for the stretch run.

Let's Go Orange!!!

First of all, it feels terrific to win a road game like this, where we had to overcome adversity. We've been SO CLOSE these past three games, nice to finally get one to go our way. I have a feeling that this victory catapults us momentum-wise into what will eventually be viewed as the highly successful Garrett Shrader era of Syracuse football. Kid is going to be a problem for our opponents [he already is].

• Virginia Tech players are a bunch of punks. Especially #31 [Peoples], who was jawing and shoving -- uncalled of course -- after many plays. They had an OL also try to draw personal foul penalty after a play by pretending that he'd been shoved and falling down. Honestly, they act like Miami-lite out there -- glad we handed them a defeat.

Go watch the play where Vet gets hurt and tell me that Hokie didn’t know exactly what he was doing.

Good post.
I rewatched part.
The clock running after Tucker ran out of bounds on our second to last drive was horrible. I’m going to call it intentional. Someone should send that clip to ACC offices. That’s cheating plain and simple. We lost :26. Thankfully we didn’t need it s as to the end.

The PI on Chestnut late at the end of the game was BS. The WR felt the contact and dove to the ground. Looked like a soccer player.

Credit the coaches for managing the injuries - we have a lot - and moving the pieces around and still functioning.

The extra point I’m pretty sure should have been blown dead. McKinnley had possession. I think it’s blown dead there, but if not he fumbled after hitting the ground. Too bad about that.

half- 8 seconds two time outs should have been at least one running attempt. They really butchered that and there’s no defending what happened. On the flip side, we won an awesome game and too many people are focused on the bad and not the good. It’s weird.

last we largely went with a 3 man front of McKinley Black and Roscoe. I didn’t see Harper, I didn’t see Lockett, I didn’t see Oku and at some point Linton went off injured. It was hard for me to get a handle on who played DLine and how much. But Williams played the whole game at nose I’m pretty sure.

I think Cole was injured yesterday to besides Vet and Linton. We’re in rough shape right now.

Last edited:
Good post.
I rewatched part.
The clock running after Tucker ran out of bounds on our second to last drive was horrible. I’m going to call it intentional. Someone should send that clip to ACC offices. That’s cheating plain and simple. We lost :26. Thankfully we didn’t need it s as to the end.

The PI on Chestnut late at the end of the game was BS. The WR felt the contact and dove to the ground. Looked like a soccer player.

Credit the coaches for managing the injuries - we have a lot - and moving the pieces around and still functioning.

I'm happy you brought that up. Not only did he get the first down, but I'm fairly certain that he stepped out of bounds. The clock stopped for two seconds, and then started to run again before the chains were even set. It was ridiculous. Blatant clock mis-management by the home team's timekeepers.

Go watch the play where Vet gets hurt and tell me that Hokie didn’t know exactly what he was doing.

what point in the game did that happen? I didn’t see it.

Good post.
I rewatched part.

Yup. He ran out of bounds and the clock kept going. Me and my sons were yelling at the tv to stop the clock. Isn’t there anyone on the staff that watches this stuff?

I'm happy you brought that up. Not only did he get the first down, but I'm fairly certain that he stepped out of bounds. The clock stopped for two seconds, and then started to run again before the chains were even set. It was ridiculous. Blatant clock mis-management by the home team's timekeepers.
Why didn't Dino alert the officials?

Yup. He ran out of bounds and the clock kept going. Me and my sons were yelling at the tv to stop the clock. Isn’t there anyone on the staff that watches this stuff?
With how disorganized the end of 2Q was I'd say no. Glad they overcame but this is still fireable stuff.

Yes. THIS.

I was like WHY is the clock still running???!!!!
He clearly went out of bounds, of his own volition - wasn’t like he was tackled on the edge of the field where it was some amorphous judgment call.

Then I spent the next minute wondering if there was some obscure college rule change I wasn’t aware of -
because it was just so blatantly WRONG.

Glad I wasn’t the only one wondering WTAF??? on that.

Good post.
I rewatched part.

why was the clock not stopping an issue? it supposed to be running then when he goes out of bounds

Yes. THIS.

I was like WHY is the clock still running???!!!!
He clearly went out of bounds, of his own volition - wasn’t like he was tackled on the edge of the field where it was some amorphous judgment call.

Then I spent the next minute wondering if there was some obscure college rule change I wasn’t aware of -
because it was just so blatantly WRONG.

Glad I wasn’t the only one wondering WTAF??? on that.
yes it supposed to be running.. has the rule been changed?

IMO Shrader looked comfortable passing when we went empty (5 WRs.) Not sure how much the coaches trust the WRs but we always seem to get a favorable matchup. I know Tucker is a huge part of the offense but I wouldn't mind seeing more of just Shrader back there

why was the clock not stopping an issue? it supposed to be running then when he goes out of bounds
You run out of bounds to stop the clock. It didn’t stop. Not sure what you’re saying. Are you saying there has been a rule change that the clock keeps running even if the ball carrier goes out of bounds? That would be news to me.

You run out of bounds to stop the clock. It didn’t stop. Not sure what you’re saying. Are you saying there has been a rule change that the clock keeps running even if the ball carrier goes out of bounds? That would be news to me.
yes.. it never stops when the ball goes out except to mark the ball until the last 2 min

IMO Shrader looked comfortable passing when we went empty (5 WRs.) Not sure how much the coaches trust the WRs but we always seem to get a favorable matchup. I know Tucker is a huge part of the offense but I wouldn't mind seeing more of just Shrader back there
Shrader threw two great deep balls to the end zone which were dropped as well as the game winner. He also threw that strike in the seam to Pena the week before. It's time to open up the passing game now against BC and have it established for the last 3 games which will be needed.

Last edited:

• Tucker continues to impress. VT sold out to take him away in the second half, and that's when things open up with Shrader / the passing game. Speaking of which...

• The passing game is emerging. Against Liberty, the coaches didn't trust Shrader to throw, and played it as conservative as possible. He's proving now that he can throw just enough to keep defenses honest.

• Too many big play runs. I didn't notice McKinley Williams playing today, so maybe we were "soft" inside. We haven't given up those types of explosive plays all year long.

• Given how the last few games have unfolded, I wouldn't have been remotely surprised if the special teams kicking miscues would have cost us the game. To let them return a blocked XP for a 2 point safety, and to come away empty at the end of the first half -- that was a lot to overcome. I was sweating out those two points at the end, prior to Shrader's / Alford's heroics -- could have cost us the game.

• Seemed like we were toast when we went down two scores. Kudos to our offense for getting a TD, and then using timeouts properly to force them to punt the ball back. Hanna had a huge, huge sack on 3rd down.

• Can't say enough about Shrader's play down the stretch. Moving the sticks, getting out of bounds, finding a way to pick up first downs, etc. And to say that he hung in the pocket on that last throw would be a massive understatement -- kid got crushed, but hung in there to make the best possible throw.

• Alford... wow. That VT defender never even knew that the ball was coming. Still can't believe it.

• VT has always been one of the schools I've loathed the most. Happy to see all of their dejected fans walk out in stunned silence.

• Huge game next week against BC -- must win. Need to gut it out at all costs to get the "W." Then, we have a much-needed bye week to rest, recuperate, and heal up for the stretch run.

Let's Go Orange!!!
Great post and analysis. Other than the obvious of Shrader (!!!!), and Alford making it happen, the two who put them in the position to make it happen was (as you noted) the huge Hanna sack along with penas great return. This team is emerging as a “TEAM”, combining the new with the old.

Maybe a “changing of the guard” a bit but mostly a team developing finding their rhythm to deliver (hopefully and again what you note) the successful Shrader era.

Last edited:

Let's Go Orange!!!

I mentioned in another thread I saw a VT player hit one of our players after the play, with an open hand/palm strike to the side of the helmet/face mask. Not sure how you get away with that, wasn’t one of those “shoves” it looked like a legit swing. No call, ref close enough to see it since it was two guys tangled up after a play. Then I noticed tons of little pushes, cheap shots after almost every play. Just scummy stuff, glad we won and didn’t retaliate to cost the game.

The passing, at the end of the game running empty backfield and 5/6 WR sets tells us how comfortable at least Gilbert is with shrader passing. Honestly, I think his play calling at the end of the game took some serious b___s. Nobody would have faulted him if we tried to run Tucker and lost. Guy called a game at the end to win the game. I’ll never compare him to mcfunkit again. That was some fantastic playcalling to win.

Last edited:
I mentioned in another thread I saw a VT player hit one of our players after the play, with an open hand/palm strike to the side of the helmet/face mask. Not sure how you get away with that, wasn’t one of those “shoves” it looked like a legit swing. No call, ref close enough to see it since it was two guys tangled up after a play. Then I noticed tons of little pushes, cheap shots after almost every play. Just scummy stuff, glad we won and didn’t retaliate to cost the game.

The passing, at the end of the game running empty backfield and 5/6 WR sets tells us how comfortable at least Gilbert is with schrader passing. Honestly, I think his play calling at the end of the game took some serious b___s. Nobody would have faulted him if we tried to run Tucker and lost. Guy called a game at the end to win the game. I’ll never compare him to mcfunkit again. That was some fantastic playcalling to win.

Was that the play where Queeley picked up a first down, on like a 15 yard throw? Because I think that might have been where it happened. #31 [Peoples, again stirring shiz up] was the secondary defender who made the tackle, after Queeley beat his guy and cut back inside to pick up the first down. Peoples proceeds to hang onto his leg on the ground for several extra seconds, not letting him up, which prompts Queeley to get up and start jawing . Then another WR comes over to chime in, and #31 slaps him across the helmet -- no flag. I'm not suggesting that #31 should have been tossed from the game for that, but he COULD have been. Instead, not even a flag. VT finished the game with 1 penalty for -5 yards, despite all of their BS conduct.

Of course, given what punks their players act like throughout the game, the play you're talking about could have been any other given play.

yes.. it never stops when the ball goes out except to mark the ball until the last 2 min
And just to clarify, this is not a new rule. It's been that way for a while.

It didn’t even stop that long. It stopped 2 seconds. I don’t think Tucker was even back on the field and the clock is running again.

yes.. it never stops when the ball goes out except to mark the ball until the last 2 mi

Was that play outside of 2 mins?

I thought it happened under 2 mins, but my memory is kinda foggy if that whole ending now.

I too thought Williams got the blocked extra point and was clearly down but no whistle was blown and we all know how that turned out. The PI call on Deuce at the end was blatant BS as was the overturn of the catch by Queely. I assume our AD and HC will be sending yet another greatest hits to the ACC head office but I expect more really bad calls to go against us in every remaining game. That said, this staff has to clean up the idiotic penalties. Every game we shoot ourselves in the foot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom