Rewriting History | Syracusefan.com

Rewriting History

cuse309

Ace recruiting beat reporter
If you could change one single outcome, of 1 play in SU Football history, what would it be?
For me, it would be Gedney getting just 3 more yards to win the game against #1 Miami in 92. Could be playing for a natty at the end of the year.

If you could change one single outcome, of 1 play in SU Football history, what would it be?
For me, it would be Gedney getting just 3 more yards to win the game against #1 Miami in 92. Could be playing for a natty at the end of the year.
That's a good choice. Maybe Auburn missing the FG in the Sugar Bowl would be my choice. A true undefeated season!

i remember there being a ball busting missed called vs Clemson in death valley 2018, but can’t remember specifically what it was.

We win that game we may have headed to the BCS playoffs after likely winning the ACC.

No pass interference at the end of the 98 opener against Tennessee or no 4th down conversion for Clemson 2018.
I would choose the Clemson game between those two.

If we beat Tennessee it would obviously be awesome, but we would be a 2-loss team in the Orange Bowl against Florida instead of a 3-loss team in the Orange Bowl against Florida.

But if we won at Clemson in 2018, we would have been in the ACC Title Game and potentially in a NY6 game instead of the Camping World Bowl.

Last edited:
1996 Miami in the Dome. If Tremain Mack doesn't return that kickoff for a TD at the end of the first half, our chances of winning would have been much higher, and we could have gone to the Orange Bowl vs. Nebraska instead of the Liberty Bowl vs. Houston.

i remember there being a ball busting missed called vs Clemson in death valley 2018, but can’t remember specifically what it was.

We win that game we may have headed to the BCS playoffs after likely winning the ACC.

On 4th and 2, Dungey set up a beautiful screen pass to a tight end, who ended up picking up about 20 yards, with about 3:30 left in the 4th quarter. Would have been a first down deep in their territory, move the sticks, clock continues to run with us up by a couple of points late in the game.

Instead, they called a BS penalty for an OL for being downfield -- ineligible receiver -- so we got a penalty and had to punt. Clemson got the ball back, and had enough time to run the ball, instead of having their third-string QB being forced into having to pass to get the ball upfield. They gouged us on runs and ended up scoring a TD with under a minute to play.

Had that call not been made, at WORST they are facing a short clock and probably have to pass the ball. Or we might have scored or run out the clock [or run the clock down for another 2 minutes or so]. Questionable call was very, very costly.

I would choose the Clemson game between those two.

If we beat Tennessee it would obviously be awesome, but we would be a 2-loss team in the Orange Bowl against Florida instead of a 3-loss team in the Orange Bowl against Florida.

But if we won at Clemson in 2018, we would have been in the ACC Title Game and potentially in a NY5 game instead of the Camping World Bowl.
Me too. That Pittsburgh loss in 2018 was a nut punch. We should have been 11-1 going into the championship game, but it just wasn't meant to be. I loved Pasqualoni and what he did for the program, but did we ever have a season that didn't include at least 1 What loss. Just thought maybe if we went 2-0 out of the gate, the NC ST game has a little more meaning. I remember watching the WVU game and thinking that they just weren't up for that game also. Ah, what could have been.

On 4th and 2, Dungey set up a beautiful screen pass to a tight end, who ended up picking up about 20 yards, with about 3:30 left in the 4th quarter. Would have been a first down deep in their territory, move the sticks, clock continues to run with us up by a couple of points late in the game.

Instead, they called a BS penalty for an OL for being downfield -- ineligible receiver -- so we got a penalty and had to punt. Clemson got the ball back, and had enough time to run the ball, instead of having their third-string QB being forced into having to pass to get the ball upfield. They gouged us on runs and ended up scoring a TD with under a minute to play.

Had that call not been made, at WORST they are facing a short clock and probably have to pass the ball. Or we might have scored or run out the clock [or run the clock down for another 2 minutes or so]. Questionable call was very, very costly.
I think that play happened with 8 or 9 minutes left in the 4th but was important none the less. We go down and score there and it's game over.

I agree with everything you just said.

One thing I'll add is that Dino was utterly terrible at clock management at the end of that game. We should have been strategically using timeouts to give us enough time to work with to generate a drive the other way after Clemson scored. But if I remember correctly we were left with maybe 30 seconds.

One thing I'll add is that Dino was utterly terrible at clock management at the end of that game. We should have been strategically using timeouts to give us enough time to work with to generate a drive the other way after Clemson scored. But if I remember correctly we were left with maybe 30 seconds.
If there is one issue I have with Dino, it’s clock management

If there is one issue I have with Dino, it’s clock management
I remember some people complaining about the clock management after the game, but they were told basically not to look a gift-horse in the mouth because the entire board was in "Dino is going to be poached by the SEC" paranoia. But yes, that has always been a weakness of his.

Time stamps from ESPN
  • 4th & 1 at CLEM 43​

(9:00 - 4th) SYRACUSE Penalty, Ineligible Downfield on Pass (Cody Conway) to the Clem 48

• 1st & 10 at SYR 25
    • (0:40 - 4th) Dungey, Eric rush for 7 yards to the SYRACUSE32, PENALTY SYRACUSE personal foul (Roberts, Aaron) 12 yards to the SYRACUSE13, NO PLAY.

The last drive was a debacle. 2 penalties and a brutal sack on Dungey left us in 4th and forever. Would have been tough anyway, because we had to score a td to win it.

There were a lot of penalties in that game. Something like 24 total.

I would say this but thinking about it, does that change anything regarding the bowl we go to? I think we were heading to the Fiesta no matter what.

96 Miami game changes our bowl to a major bowl game. We potentially end up going to 3 consecutive major bowl games in a row. Let that sink in for a second.

2011 game vs Rutgers was a gut loss but I am losing my memory picking out one play that turns that season into a bowl season. Who knows what that means for Marrone's future? Does he leave in 11 vs 12?

I think that play happened with 8 or 9 minutes left in the 4th but was important none the less. We go down and score there and it's game over.

Thanks.

Ah, how time changes recollection...

Appreciate the clarification.

2011 game vs Rutgers was a gut loss but I am losing my memory picking out one play that turns that season into a bowl season. Who knows what that means for Marrone's future? Does he leave in 11 vs 12?
Not fumbling in OT greatly increases our chances of winning.

Not fumbling in OT greatly increases our chances of winning.

Is that the Rutty game where one of our DB's dropped a gimme pick-6?

What a total derp-fest that game was - each team was daring the other one to win, and actively trying to help them do so.
Classic example of "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory". :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom