Rhino and Thompson out for the season | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Rhino and Thompson out for the season

Ozone!

Graphics Wizard
70E1F0A7-C529-4FB3-B5A5-D984014F8288.jpeg

Ringostar57

All Conference
Gives a new meaning to one and done. ACL, MCL, patella tendon/meniscus separation can happen without contact. Sucks

upperdeck

Living Legend
McD just happened to have the ball thrown right to him. Now everyone is saying he’s proven himself. Need to pump the brakes and just hope we can get adequate replacement by committee.

Let’s be real - even our better teams in the 90s didn’t have great depth. If bullock went down or Conley went down the next man up was a big drop.
i would say its more than just having the ball thrown to him.. He read the play which is something we have seldom seen from our LBs lately.. He rolled under that throw instead of sitting in his zone.. Good to see.

upperdeck

Living Legend
Hunt was jobbed.
remember its not when you get hurt now its how many games you play.. they changed that a few years ago.. Elmore only played 4 games last yr. and 1 this yr and once you get hurt a couple times they start to get more lenient now especially missing really this whole season. it will be up him.. if he still needs something for his grad degree he might come back.

Finwad32

Hall of Fame
McDonald might very well end up stepping into the role and doing fine. But he is no S. Thompson, he is D. McDonald.

They are two different players, and it’s not fair to compare them. He doesn’t have some of the physical abilities (yet), which he may never, and he doesn’t have the experience. He will be asked to do different things than Stefon, or at least that’s what I’d anticipate.

T. White will be able to get these guys in the right place to make plays… hopefully they take the opportunity to make them.

Cusefan69

All American
People are being strangely defensive over comments about Thompson and his being replaced. Thompson was a really good player for us and is a loss for sure but it's not like the season is over here. How do we not know that once McDonald, Sparrow or Lowery get their game legs that they don't perform well? Yeah it's disappointing but White, Mikel, Wax et al will get these young guys ready to play. Hell I bet Thompson will help them watch tape. Next man up, there's no use bellyaching. The UConn game will also be a great game for the young bucks to acclimate and build confidence.

All American
McDonald might very well end up stepping into the role and doing fine. But he is no S. Thompson, he is D. McDonald.

They are two different players, and it’s not fair to compare them. He doesn’t have some of the physical abilities (yet), which he may never, and he doesn’t have the experience. He will be asked to do different things than Stefon, or at least that’s what I’d anticipate.

T. White will be able to get these guys in the right place to make plays… hopefully they take the opportunity to make them.
Good points. McDonald is not going to fully replace the things that Thompson could do. Not sure we have another LB like him at this point. McDonald does seem to have very good instincts and was always around the play, but maybe a step slow at this point in his physical development.

One of the understated things about White is how many players he plays and the number of players he has ready to step in and meaningfully contribute. It's been very impressive. I'm sure his rep is growing outside of the program and will continue to grow. We will be lucky to keep him. OTOH, I know that White is very highly regarded by JW.

Dinkyspond

(Hal) Cohen - (Marty) Headd backcourt
Why anyone would put their body through that for 7 years is beyond me.
You can only play football for so long and he's doing it at the highest level short of the NFL. I would come back if the rehab was good and I felt healthy. And, you'll have an extra degree which is lifelong. But, it is a fair question you are asking.

Last edited:

orangecuse

All American
People are being strangely defensive over comments about Thompson and his being replaced. Thompson was a really good player for us and is a loss for sure but it's not like the season is over here. How do we not know that once McDonald, Sparrow or Lowery get their game legs that they don't perform well? Yeah it's disappointing but White, Mikel, Wax et al will get these young guys ready to play. Hell I bet Thompson will help them watch tape. Next man up, there's no use bellyaching. The UConn game will also be a great game for the young bucks to acclimate and build confidence.

This!

No doubt, Thompson, is seemingly a significant loss. However, who's to say how much it will truly be if McDonald can step in and step up. He was a 3 star out of HS, as was Thompson. And, he's 6-4 vs. Thompson's 6-0, 6-1 stature. What he may not have in stoutness/power as Thompson, his length can create other issues for opponents that Thompson may not bring.

And, it's not all about brawn. Perhaps, his IVY league credentials, smarts, etc., brings an additional aspect & wit to the position as well, possibly providing additional positives? Example, his pick. Perhaps, it wasn't pure happenstance as another poster alleged, but his ability to quickly read the D, drop into coverage and be in position.

As mentioned, in year 7, we should have a roster where if a starter goes down, a more than willing and able substitute can go in contribute and produce so that there is only a limited drop off or any at all.

Some are acting as if he's some untouchable-esque type. I didn't see him on any Pre-Season All ACC teams. Again, it's a big loss, but let's see just how big it ends up being. Perhaps, McDonald comes in and ends up doing an admirable job and fills the void adequately.

baggerbob

All American
I don't think anyone is disputing Thompson being a big loss. Perhaps he isn't "close to Thompson," whatever that means, however, how do you know what he'll end up actuallly doing on the field now that he is in position to do so? Preparation meets opportunity. Now, that he has the opportunity to show what he can do, time will tell how much of a beat is skipped, if notable at all. The game was 17-7 when Thompson went down late in the 2Q. The final score was 31-7. So, we will see.

Moreover, on the broader scope, in year 7, there should be enough depth on the roster that if a starter goes down, it shouldn't be such a detriment. Again, injuries are a part of game and every year we have injured players, this isn't anything new. That was the main crux of my post.
Just from the play with the interception, McDonald has good size, hands, speed, and runs well.
He just needs experience, down the road he will be a good one, it might be by the end of this year.

rrlbees

2017 ESPN Tourney Challenge Winner
Staff member

This!

No doubt, Thompson, is seemingly a significant loss. However, who's to say how much it will truly be if McDonald can step in and step up. He was a 3 star out of HS, as was Thompson. And, he's 6-4 vs. Thompson's 6-0, 6-1 stature. What he may not have in stoutness/power as Thompson, his length can create other issues for opponents that Thompson may not bring.

And, it's not all about brawn. Perhaps, his IVY league credentials, smarts, etc., brings an additional aspect & wit to the position as well, possibly providing additional positives? Example, his pick. Perhaps, it wasn't pure happenstance as another poster alleged, but his ability to quickly read the D, drop into coverage and be in position.

As mentioned, in year 7, we should have a roster where if a starter goes down, a more than willing and able substitute can go in contribute and produce so that there is only a limited drop off or any at all.

Some are acting as if he's some untouchable-esque type. I didn't see him on any Pre-Season All ACC teams. Again, it's a big loss, but let's see just how big it ends up being. Perhaps, McDonald comes in and ends up doing an admirable job and fills the void adequately.

Who said the season is over? Nobody. We still have a great defense, just not as great. How many snaps does McDonald get if Thompson doesn’t get hurt? Zero. Why no rotation like the WRs or DL or back 5? Because there’s too big a drop off. Now McDonald may become a very good player. Only time will tell. But he’s so lanky, he didn’t show a lot of quickness. The INT was great. But what else? He played more snaps than Thompson. 0 tackles and 0 QB hurries or hits. Thompson had 3 tackles and 1 QB hurry. Thompson was graded a 72 in run defense. McDonald a 48. Thompson was graded a 77 for tackling. McDonald a 26. Now McDonald had a great grade for pass defense because of the INT. But will he have an INT every game? That is Thompsons weakness but it’s also not the main role he’s asked to play.

Like someone else has said, we’ll probably use multiple players situationally. But to say there won’t be a big drop off isn’t paying attention. And so what if he didn’t make the 27 man ACC team? Neither did Shrader. It wouldn’t be a big deal? We’d just say next man up with no significant drop off? I know why a couple people are poo pooing the injury.

upperdeck

Living Legend
really all that matters is what grade the coaches give the players. you dont really know where guys are supposed to be on D to grade things anyway. You can tell missed tackles but after that its a crap shoot. He also is gonna get a full week of game plan practice vs a limited number of practice snaps normally .

He was in the game before Thompson got hurt so he was in the plans to see some solid time.

Cusefan69

All American
Who said the season is over? Nobody. We still have a great defense, just not as great. How many snaps does McDonald get if Thompson doesn’t get hurt? Zero. Why no rotation like the WRs or DL or back 5? Because there’s too big a drop off. Now McDonald may become a very good player. Only time will tell. But he’s so lanky, he didn’t show a lot of quickness. The INT was great. But what else? He played more snaps than Thompson. 0 tackles and 0 QB hurries or hits. Thompson had 3 tackles and 1 QB hurry. Thompson was graded a 72 in run defense. McDonald a 48. Thompson was graded a 77 for tackling. McDonald a 26. Now McDonald had a great grade for pass defense because of the INT. But will he have an INT every game? That is Thompsons weakness but it’s also not the main role he’s asked to play.

Like someone else has said, we’ll probably use multiple players situationally. But to say there won’t be a big drop off isn’t paying attention. And so what if he didn’t make the 27 man ACC team? Neither did Shrader. It wouldn’t be a big deal? We’d just say next man up with no significant drop off? I know why a couple people are poo pooing the injury.
Thanks Bees. I was using a bit of hyperbole to highlight the hyperbole in this thread. "We can't have nice things, Can't be replaced, We are not quite at Next man up " etc.
Overall Bees we are mostly saying the same thing, I am just more glass half full that between the staff, scheme and players stepping in, that the team will be able to bridge the loss and still be successful. Which I am sure you are hoping as well.

FrancoPizza

2018 Iggy Leading Minutes Per Game Winner
Just from the play with the interception, McDonald has good size, hands, speed, and runs well.
He just needs experience, down the road he will be a good one, it might be by the end of this year.
Thought he looked slow returning it, as if he was jogging it back. But he has good hands.

DoctorBombay

All American
Injuries are part of the game. If we planned on having a totally healthy roster for an entire season, that would be monumentally idiotic.
Great defenses are a sum of its parts, meaning if one part goes down you have a spare ready to plug in, with hopefully minimal dropoff.
This is year 7 of HCDB's team- and depth is part of coaching. I have great faith in Swagmaster, and while its true we won't be at that elite level because of the injury, I still expect we'll field a solid, stout D unit that can get us to a bowl game.

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
I’m a huge Dino guy and happy he’s still here but injuries are part of the game and we need to move on and fill the gap it’s year 7 and I don’t want to hear it anymore Especially after 1 game. Thompson is a big loss and a great player but they need to fill the gap someway somehow and find a way to keep winning. Depth should be at least respectable, and nobody really knows who is capable of stepping up but there should be somebody or a couple guys that can plug the hole

OttoinGrotto

2020-21 Iggy Award Winner 3 Point Shooting %

Thompson's one of our best guys so there will definitely be some drop off, but a big drop off could be not because the backups aren't very good, but because the main guys are just really good.

White does a good job of playing a lot of guys, but he also knew he had a nasty linebacker trio going against an offense that crushed us last season. That's probably not the game to give a bunch of snaps to the 2s at linebacker unless he had to, which he did.

We'll see what happens from here. Thompson is a big loss, but I think there are answers on the roster.

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
Thompson's one of our best guys so there will definitely be some drop off, but a big drop off could be not because the backups aren't very good, but because the main guys are just really good.

White does a good job of playing a lot of guys, but he also knew he had a nasty linebacker trio going against an offense that crushed us last season. That's probably not the game to give a bunch of snaps to the 2s at linebacker unless he had to, which he did.

We'll see what happens from here. Thompson is a big loss, but I think there are answers on the roster.

and there should be answers regardless of what we think

0.2 YNdeeR

Scout Team

Agree. McDonald is a smart kid with good size. He's earned some PT even if he might not have Thompson's physical gifts. Lowery is also an athlete and Mason definitely flashed in the spring game. But call me crazy, if he's able to pick up coverage responsibilities (a big 'if'), Linton has to be someone the staff takes a hard look at. Very disruptive cat with at least some of the physical tools and big play capabilities as ST. His strip-sac of MC was a thing of beauty.

Last edited:

kcsu

Living Legend

Thompson is a top 7 player on the entire team. in no particular order Shrader Tucker Berg Mik Thomp Duce Garret

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lamizana43

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom