RIP Bob Lanier 73 years old | Syracusefan.com

RIP Bob Lanier 73 years old

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
This makes me sad. One of the all-time greats. I was rooting for the Bonnie's until he got hurt. A great player in the golden age from WNY.

If you have an Athletic subscription this is a really well written article about the Little Three, St. Bona and Bob Lanier and basketball around 1970.

On a personal note I really didn't get into watching Syracuse and college football and basketball until the 70-71 season. I picked a good year to start, the beginning of our great run in hoops at least. I had heard of Bob Lanier, Calvin Murphy, Jimmy Collins but didn't realize all the great players with Upstate NY connections around 69-70. I didn't even realize how big a deal it was to play in the NCAA and NIT for another year or two.

Last edited:
This makes me sad. One of the all-time greats. I was rooting for the Bonnie's until he got hurt. A great player in the golden age from WNY.

Going back looking at some numbers, I didn't realize Cuse never played against Lanier and we didn't start playing against St. Bonaventure until 1974 when Jim Satalin took over as head coach. I guess when there were a lot of East Coast independents you didn't have to play each other.

Syracuse played Niagara and Canisius back then but St. Bonaventure for some reason didn't make the schedule. I think they played twice in the early 50s. Not sure if it was bad blood or distance...why they didn't play more.

If you have an Athletic subscription this is a really well written article about the Little Three, St. Bona and Bob Lanier and basketball around 1970.

On a personal note I really didn't get into watching Syracuse and college football and basketball until the 70-71 season. I picked a good year to start, the beginning of our great run in hoops at least. I had heard of Bob Lanier, Calvin Murphy, Jimmy Collins but didn't realize all the great players with Upstate NY connections around 69-70. I didn't even realize how big a deal it was to play in the NCAA and NIT for another year or two.
1969-70 was really my first year that I really remember following basketball although I do remember the Alcindor/Hayes matchup from 1968 and Rick Mount and Purdue vs Alcindor in 1969. Billy Kalbaugh was the starting PG on the Bonnies and he was from Troy, NY so the local papers featured him and them quite a bit so it was easy to latch on to them. Lanier, of course, was this larger than life figure with these huge feet so for a ten year old kid, he was easy to idolize. Same with Alcindor, but of course, we all knew that Alcindor lost in high school to Pat Riley and Linton from Schenectady when Lew was only a freshman.

1961 flashback: Pat Riley's Shenectady squad beats Power Memorial and freshman Lew Alcindor in a high school classic

I attended St. Bonaventure for a journalism program in the summer before my Senior year in high school. I lived across the hall from Bob and John Hayes. I knew about Bob from the publicity he received when he decided to attend Bonaventure, and being a huge basketball fan, was thrilled at the idea of living across the hall from two of my heroes. My first day, his door was open and I went over to introduce myself. From that point, we became good friends. I would help him with his math homework, and he took me to their informal basketball practices. He had never played tennis so I talked him into being my doubles partner. He asked me what to do. I told him to stand at the net and not let the ball get by him. He didn't.

I have always considered that friendship between a 16 year-old kid and a sports superstar to be a very meaningful part of my life. He took me under his wing and treated me as an equal. He will be greatly missed. Go with God, Big Bob.

I attended St. Bonaventure for a journalism program in the summer before my Senior year in high school. I lived across the hall from Bob and John Hayes. I knew about Bob from the publicity he received when he decided to attend Bonaventure, and being a huge basketball fan, was thrilled at the idea of living across the hall from two of my heroes. My first day, his door was open and I went over to introduce myself. From that point, we became good friends. I would help him with his math homework, and he took me to their informal basketball practices. He had never played tennis so I talked him into being my doubles partner. He asked me what to do. I told him to stand at the net and not let the ball get by him. He didn't.

I have always considered that friendship between a 16 year-old kid and a sports superstar to be a very meaningful part of my life. He took me under his wing and treated me as an equal. He will be greatly missed. Go with God, Big Bob.
That's an awesome story. Thanks for sharing.

Excellent story! Bob was a legend and truly a fine man.

This is extra extra upsetting for me. My Bonas 50th reunion is next week. With covid canceling the last 2, the class of 70 is combined to be with us. The Final Four team is scheduled to be there for a special meet and greet with several members of my class playing key parts to that team. This will definitely add a touch of sadness to the whole weekend. I lived on the floor above Lanier and Billy Kalbaugh and said hello to them often. One of the funniest things I ever saw was him getting into a VW bug just outside my window. I'm sure he will be honored at our dinner on Saturday.

His NBA career was the golden era for centers. Every night that guy battled someone with game. Truly great forgotten player. Super touch.
Bod earned a special comment from Alcindor in the first "Airplane" movie. Alcondor complained to a little kid about having to drag Lanier up and down the court.

A friend of mine, a few years older than me, was assigned the same room as Lanier early their freshman year. The bed unfortunately was way too small but he never complained and just threw the mattress on the floor where he slept. He said he was a great guy but every other word was a swear word. It was natural for him - it was just an everyday adjective he used for anything. Being a Catholic school, he worked very hard to stop the habit and would absentmindedly slip in class ever so often leaving his fellow students in hysterics.

He was at the end of his career at Bonaventure and was the featured guest at our small high school‘s senior athletic banquet my senior year. He was great, so friendly. He brought a couple of his gigantic sneakers for everyone to see. He gave a great speech, handed out some of the awards. Sad to hear about his passing - he was one of the great ones not just on the court either.

2nd Dev?

Had to do an extensive memory search on that one. But now that I think of it, it may have been Robinson.
Bobs room on second dev was/is infamous. Largest in the entire dorm for a single person. Urban legend he occupied it for several years

Bod earned a special comment from Alcindor in the first "Airplane" movie. Alcondor complained to a little kid about having to drag Lanier up and down the court.
He was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar by then.

My grammar school coach went to St. Bonaventure at the same time as Lanier. My coach played on the freshman team when Bob was a Senior. Somehow he got a pair of Bob's discarded/used Converse All-Stars. As is legendary, Bob had some big feet.

big time old school banger down low. back when they let you play. own the paint. one of my role models.

Last edited: