RIP Cynthia Weil | Syracusefan.com

RIP Cynthia Weil

Cowtown

Sesquipedalia verba

With husband Barry Mann, the Grammy-winning lyricist wrote classics like "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling," "On Broadway," and dozens of other hits.

With husband Barry Mann, the Grammy-winning lyricist wrote classics like "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling," "On Broadway," and dozens of other hits.
That was an era which most likely will never be duplicated. She was like 22 when she co-wrote Loving Feeling. Carole King was like 21 when she wrote Locomotion.

That was an era which most likely will never be duplicated. She was like 22 when she co-wrote Loving Feeling. Carole King was like 21 when she wrote Locomotion.
Nope. The idea of songwriters punching a clock at the Brill Building, then turning out hit after hit still blows my mind. Both Weil and Gerry Goffin (who was Carole King's husband when they wrote so many hits) were lyricists of the highest order. And they had perfect songwriting partners.

Lyricists deserve more love. Jule Styne, who wrote the music for 'Singin' In the Rain, 'Gypsy', 'Funny Girl', and so much more, once responded when someone asked him if he wrote the song 'Singin' In The Rain':

"No, I wrote 'da-daaaaa-dada-dada'". The best tunesmiths, like the best lyricists, were perfect collaborators. As were Cynthia Weil and Barry Mann.

Last edited:
Nope. The idea of songwriters punching a clock at the Brill Building, then turning out hit after hit still blows my mind. Both Weil and Gerry Goffin (who was Carole King's husband when they wrote so many hits) were lyricists of the highest order. And they had perfect songwriting partners.

Lyricists deserve more love. Jule Styne, who wrote the music for 'Singin' In the Rain, 'Gypsy', 'Funny Girl', and so much more, once responded when someone asked him if he wrote the song 'Singin' In The Rain':

"No, I wrote 'da-daaaaa-dada-dada'". The best tunesmiths, like the best lyricists, were perfect collaborators. As were Cynthia Weil and Barry Mann.

Mann & Weil were as diverse as they were prolific. They also wrote 'Soul and Inspiration' for the Righteous Brothers, 'Kicks' and 'Hungry' for Paul Revere and the Raiders , 'Here You Come Again' for Dolly Parton, 'Rock and Roll Lullaby' for BJ Thomas, 'Somewhere Out There' for Linda Ronstadt and James Ingram, and 'Don't Know Much' for Ronstadt and Aaron Neville. Perhaps their most unusual work was their 'Shape of Things to Come' covered by Max Frost & The Troopers (a collection of studio musicians) for the movie Wild In The Streets.

Last edited:
Mann & Weil were as diverse as they were prolific. They also wrote 'Soul and Inspiration' for the Righteous Brothers, 'Kicks' and 'Hungry' for Paul Revere and the Raiders , 'Here You Come Again' for Dolly Parton, 'Rock and Roll Lullaby' for BJ Thomas, 'Somewhere Out There' for Linda Ronstadt and James Ingram, and 'Don't Know Much' for Ronstadt and Aaron Neville. Perhaps their most unusual work was their 'Shape of Things to Come' covered by Max Frost & The Troopers (a collection of studio musicians) for the movie Wild In The Streets.

Last night I posted Shape of Things to Come in the Pandemic thread, it does indeed show what they were capable of beyond more mainstream pop songs.

I think she gets short changed in the Brill legacy. Her catalogue in my opinion surpasses King's.

I think she gets short changed in the Brill legacy. Her catalogue in my opinion surpasses King's.
Wouldn't go that far. We forget that, although Carole King wrote the music and her (then-) husband wrote the lyrics during their teaming, King would go on to write both the music and lyrics during her highly-successful solo career.

Plus, it's simply amazing when you look at all the songs she has written. However, it in no way diminishes Weil's contributions, which were invaluable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom