RIP David Cassidy | Syracusefan.com

RIP David Cassidy

Not yet...though I can't imagine for long .

Yeah the story I read was weird. I shouldn't have gone final on that reading something from a wordpress blog.

He was a regular at the Saratoga Race Course. Owned property for a while in town and possibly owned horses. Unfortunately had demons that controlled him (4 DUI's). Seemed like a nice guy but it seems like his fame didn't help control his problems. Very sad.

He was a regular at the Saratoga Race Course. Owned property for a while in town and possibly owned horses. Unfortunately had demons that controlled him (4 DUI's). Seemed like a nice guy but it seems like his fame didn't help control his problems. Very sad.
I think the onset of dementia may have exacerbated his drinking problems. And he was heavily into thoroughbred racing for a long time and was a very successful breeder and owner. RIP, David Cassidy.

David Cassidy In Print - Thoroughbred Style Magazine 2009

Last edited:

As a kid, i was pretty plugged in to the thoroughbred racing scene in Saratoga (not at the snobby elitist levels though, but i did get to interact through connections with George Steinbrenner, Rick Pitino and Bill Parcells). David owned a very nice house in what is pretty much on of the two or three nicest neighborhoods is the Capital District, Meadowbrook out by Saratoga Lake. He had a big bronze statute of a horse in the front yard.

He owned horses that I believe were trained by Gary Contessa, which is where i first met him (Contessa's stable at the Oklahoma Track). Someone i worked with was an exercise rider for Contessa so she knew David quite well. As just a kid, spent a night drinking with him at the Parting Glass. My sisters are considerably older than me and both grew up Partridge Family and more so David Cassidy fans. I caught a lot of it for not calling them to meet me out that night. One of the only times they've ever been jealous of me. In short, he was very, very nice. I think this was before the DWIs and the drinking issues really taking hold of him.

As a kid, i was pretty plugged in to the thoroughbred racing scene in Saratoga (not at the snobby elitist levels though, but i did get to interact through connections with George Steinbrenner, Rick Pitino and Bill Parcells). David owned a very nice house in what is pretty much on of the two or three nicest neighborhoods is the Capital District, Meadowbrook out by Saratoga Lake. He had a big bronze statute of a horse in the front yard.

He owned horses that I believe were trained by Gary Contessa, which is where i first met him (Contessa's stable at the Oklahoma Track). Someone i worked with was an exercise rider for Contessa so she knew David quite well. As just a kid, spent a night drinking with him at the Parting Glass. My sisters are considerably older than me and both grew up Partridge Family and more so David Cassidy fans. I caught a lot of it for not calling them to meet me out that night. One of the only times they've ever been jealous of me. In short, he was very, very nice. I think this was before the DWIs and the drinking issues really taking hold of him.
He did seem like a good guy. Believe Parcells had a nice place near me that bordered the Saratoga National golf course. Might have sold it - not sure.

I think the onset of dementia may have exacerbated his drinking problems. And he was heavily into thoroughbred racing for a long time and was a very successful breeder and owner. RIP, David Cassidy.

David Cassidy In Print - Thoroughbred Style Magazine 2009
I knew he was into racing but didn't realize that he was that deeply involved as a breeder. I have a million reasons why I love Saratoga and want my some of my ashes spread there, but one of my favorite Saratoga things is who you might see walking up to betting windows in the Clubhouse or being at the bar at places like Siro's. I never realized how short David Cassidy was until we were standing next to him in the betting line. It must have been something being as famous as he was early in his career.

I knew he was into racing but didn't realize that he was that deeply involved as a breeder. I have a million reasons why I love Saratoga and want my some of my ashes spread there, but one of my favorite Saratoga things is who you might see walking up to betting windows in the Clubhouse or being at the bar at places like Siro's. I never realized how short David Cassidy was until we were standing next to him in the betting line. It must have been something being as famous as he was early in his career.
Yeah, it's one of my favorite places too. Just an amazing scene. I never ran into him there, but have seen guys like Parcells, P.J. Carlesimo, Bobby Flay at the track and out on the town. And I actually knew a guy who had his ashes spread on the main track and turf courses, too.

This is a great Rolling Stone piece from '72 when Cassidy was at the height of his fame:
David Cassidy: Naked Lunch Box - Rolling Stone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom