RIP Doris Day | Syracusefan.com

RIP Doris Day

I've never watched her movies but watches some of her tv sitcom. I've read a lot about her and how reclusive she was for the last 30 or so years of her life. For some reason, reclusive celebrities like that are interesting to me. She wasn't Howard Hughes-like crazy, just didn't come out in public that much.

I've never watched her movies but watches some of her tv sitcom. I've read a lot about her and how reclusive she was for the last 30 or so years of her life. For some reason, reclusive celebrities like that are interesting to me. She wasn't Howard Hughes-like crazy, just didn't come out in public that much.
Big fan of her movies and tv show. She starred vs all the top male actors and more than held her own. A lot of quirkiness in her movies which made them fun to watch.

She was lovely.
As much as i love 'old movies' and her era of Hollywood, I'm ashamed to admit i didn't even realize she had still been 'with us.' I watched The Man Who Knew Too Much just last month. Gonna watch Move Over, Darling tonight.

classy, attractive, talented - I was always a fan

RIP

Old school. Pre-rock. I saw this a couple of years ago on TCM. Early Doris Day. Romance on the High Seas. Late 40's. Not a great movie, but this was the best part of the movie (imo), when she sang this song.

Oscar Levant at the piano.

A good actress but a great singer. they said that when she sang, she sounded as if she was singing only to you. It's true.

She was lovely.
As much as i love 'old movies' and her era of Hollywood, I'm ashamed to admit i didn't even realize she had still been 'with us.' I watched The Man Who Knew Too Much just last month. Gonna watch Move Over, Darling tonight.
So, i watched Move Over, Darling last night. I had seen it before, but probably didn't give it enough credit, as it's a remake of a film with Cary Grant (my spirit animal) and Irene Dunne. But, the Doris Day/Jim Rockford version was pretty good.

She was a dish. Sweet as pie, and talented to match. Interesting, about her later career/non-career. It almost seems like she moved to Carmel and then was surprised not to be working when she seemed to insist that her projects be filmed in Carmel. Didn't want to travel?

So, i watched Move Over, Darling last night. I had seen it before, but probably didn't give it enough credit, as it's a remake of a film with Cary Grant (my spirit animal) and Irene Dunne. But, the Doris Day/Jim Rockford version was pretty good.

She was a dish. Sweet as pie, and talented to match. Interesting, about her later career/non-career. It almost seems like she moved to Carmel and then was surprised not to be working when she seemed to insist that her projects be filmed in Carmel. Didn't want to travel?

Check out this one:

i think it's one of her best films.

Check out this one:

i think it's one of her best films.
Yep, i've seen that. I'm not such a Clark Gable fan, but she made up for it.

her husband was also her manager and lost all of her money and then hooked her into the TV contract to do the Doris Day Show. It's a really interesting story which I think was one of the reasons she decided she was happier not being in the spotlight.

https://heavy.com/entertainment/2019/05/doris-day-family-husband-kids/

"According to Fox 19, although it was the longest lived, Day’s marriage to Martin Melcher, who was a film producer, was a troubled one, at least at the end. Their marriage ended with his death in 1968.

“Day was shocked to learn that he and his business partner, Jerome Bernard Rosenthal, had squandered her earnings for 17 years,” Fox 19 reported.

She sued Rosenthal, won damages, and “soon learned her late husband had committed her to appear in a TV series,” the news site reports. That show was “The Doris Day Show.”

Melcher was Day’s agent and “pulled her out of her Warner Brothers contract and revamped her as a freelance actress for hire,” UK Telegraph reports.

"

"New York, New York" is based on her early years in show business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom