RIP Gord Downie | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Gord Downie

Came across this comment from Peter Garrett, lead singer of Midnight Oil. The Tragically Hip co headlined the Another Roadside Attraction Tour in 1993. It came during his final tour last summer.

"It’s devastating news, obviously, that he’s terminally ill, but what a glorious vindication of a life’s calling to go out in this fashion."

I was trying to remember the date of The Hip's show in the rainy mudpit that was Capital City Speedway in rural Ottawa. Gord opened the set with "Out at the Speedway" to a loud roar.

In doing so I came across this site, and perhaps this will rekindle a few concerts that people went to.

upload_2017-10-19_0-41-39.png

1995 seemed to a time they were trying to make a push into the states. They were on SNL (thanks to Dan Akroyd) earlier in the year, and after the above set, were about to be opening act for a number of shows by Page and Plant.

I went to the Club Chameleon show in 95. Gord was fantastic as usual. Amazing front man. Not the greatest vocalist but what a presence on stage. Chameleon btw was an excellent venue for live music. Not sure if it is still in existence but it reminded me a bit of the 9:30 club in DC. Gord and the Hip were also great on Saturday morning at Rome Woodstock in 99.

Gord Downie, a Canadian Rock Legend, Sings Goodbye

Love this description =

The place of honor that Mr. Downie occupies in Canada’s national imagination has no parallel in the United States. Imagine Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and Michael Stipe combined into one sensitive, oblique poet-philosopher, and you’re getting close.

I was sad yesterday but otherwise held it together. Then on the way home, Channel 173 on sirius is playing all Hip songs and remembrances. Fiddler's Green got me.

Throw Away the Rudder (Float Away on Vapour Trails) – A Tribute to...

Nice tribute article from a local Central New Yorker.
Nice article, completely agree on seeing the band in small venues. Some of my favorites places. 9:30 club (DC), the vic, Riviera, (Chicago). memorial auditorium. higher ground, (Burlington vt), auditorium theater (Rochester), the egg, the palace (Albany), massey hall (Toronto), metropolis, place des arts (montreal) and many more.

One of my favorite opening lines was from a show at Sugarbush Mountain in Warren VT. I may be off by a word but Gord came out and said - "Hello Sugarbush, I always wanted to say that"......Hilarious, then they broke in to Save the Planet.

Nice article, completely agree on seeing the band in small venues. Some of my favorites places. 9:30 club (DC), the vic, Riviera, (Chicago). memorial auditorium. higher ground, (Burlington vt), auditorium theater (Rochester), the egg, the palace (Albany), massey hall (Toronto), metropolis, place des arts (montreal) and many more.

One of my favorite opening lines was from a show at Sugarbush Mountain in Warren VT. I may be off by a word but Gord came out and said - "Hello Sugarbush, I always wanted to say that"...Hilarious, then they broke in to Save the Planet.
Did you see the higher ground show where they did a Q and A? I have that recording.

Sorry. Makes me feel like when Jerry died.

great performer and voice for canada. was lucky enuf to catch many live shows .
pigeon camera was a favourite of mine. and my local still has nautical disaster on the jukebox.

(actually signed in toronto by bruce "more cowbell" dickinson)

Last edited:
and on stage he showed a crazy dashboard hula girl wiggle that will be missed.

(can only show 1 media clip per post, caution brief bare tatas.)

Last edited:
Bump. If you haven’t seen the Hip documentary, “Long Time Running,” you can watch it on Netflix now, What beautiful film of their last tour and memorial to Gord.

Edit - also is on YouTube

Last edited:
Bump. If you haven’t seen the Hip documentary, “Long Time Running,” you can watch it on Netflix now, What beautiful film of their last tour and memorial to Gord.

Edit - also is on YouTube

Watched it again after you posted. Wrecks me