RIP Gord Downie | Syracusefan.com

RIP Gord Downie

CuseFaninVT

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Rebounder
Anyone who has read my posts over the years, especially related to music, may know that I'm a big fan of the Tragically Hip. As are orangehipfan and Cowtown among others. The band announced this morning that their lead singer, Gord Donnie, has terminal brain cancer. They just released a new album and will do one more tour in support of that album. I've seen them a number of times but really hope they make their way up here so I can see them once more.

Rough news to hear. When people talk of music from the Toronto area, they are one of the first artists that I think of.

I myself am a big fan of John Wetton's work, and he is also fighting cancer. He and Geoff Downes have recently been working on an upcoming release for the band Asia. I'd love it if he could be strong enough to tour. Such a dreaded disease that takes far too many.

Anyone who has read my posts over the years, especially related to music, may know that I'm a big fan of the Tragically Hip. As are orangehipfan and Cowtown among others. The band announced this morning that their lead singer, Gord Donnie, has terminal brain cancer. They just released a new album and will do one more tour in support of that album. I've seen them a number of times but really hope they make their way up here so I can see them once more.
have seen them probably 75 - 80 times. new album actually comes out June 16th I believe. They will most likely be back in Burlington this summer. The news was shocking. If you get a chance see them somew0here else across the country especially if you can find a real small venue. It is even better. Tough news for a lot of people.

Tough news indeed. Thanks for the note, VT, I hadn't seen that.
Since I am a card carrying geezer I'm not up onany current or even recently current pop music but i'm sorry about VT's apparent loss coming soon.If you feel anything about a person in that position you gotta feel something bad in your heart and I'sorry for that.

have seen them probably 75 - 80 times. new album actually comes out June 16th I believe. They will most likely be back in Burlington this summer. The news was shocking. If you get a chance see them somew0here else across the country especially if you can find a real small venue. It is even better. Tough news for a lot of people.

My cousin introduced me to them years ago. If they play in Portland, OR, where he lives now, I'm going out there to see them with him. And I'll see them here. And as many other places as I can afford.

My cousin introduced me to them years ago. If they play in Portland, OR, where he lives now, I'm going out there to see them with him. And I'll see them here. And as many other places as I can afford.
enjoy the last go around. very unfortunate but make the best of it. my sister lives near Kingston and my nephews actually introduced them for me. My nephew called last night and said it was on the news and rumors are for the tour to wind up in Kingston where it all began.

enjoy the last go around. very unfortunate but make the best of it. my sister lives near Kingston and my nephews actually introduced them for me. My nephew called last night and said it was on the news and rumors are for the tour to wind up in Kingston where it all began.

Just looked at the tour dates and seems like they are keeping this a Canadian tour only. Might have to fly out to Calgary and stay with the mooman to see this one. Kingston is the end as you heard.

Rough news to hear. When people talk of music from the Toronto area, they are one of the first artists that I think of.

I myself am a big fan of John Wetton's work, and he is also fighting cancer. He and Geoff Downes have recently been working on an upcoming release for the band Asia. I'd love it if he could be strong enough to tour. Such a dreaded disease that takes far too many.
Kingston, actually.

So sad. So honorable for Gord to share himself and the bands music during this tough time. I saw the Hip in 1996 at the 40 Watt in Athens, GA during the Trouble in the Henhouse tour. Michael Stipe stood right next to me for the majority of the show and he looked to be enjoying Gord's performance immensely. I know I hypnotized. Great performance. Such a sad circumstance. If the Hip comes to my town in the coming months, I'll be there.

That was one of the most beautiful celebrations of cultural pride and heritage I've ever seen. There was so much to break down after watching that show. On the surface - great show. Band plays for almost three hours and 30 songs. Viewing parties around the nation. People not only celebrating Gord but the Hip's contributions to Canadian culture. Just below the surface - a man with terminal brain cancer performing for three hours and singing the words to songs that are seemingly a living eulogy. As SUFaninNJ said, spellbinding. After it was done, there was nothing else to be said other than, God bless Gord Downie and thanks.

They are such an under appreciated band that should be better known. On the flip side, those of us who love this band like to hold on to them as ours, which in itself makes us a bit more Hip. Thank you for giving us your heart and soul, Gord. The world is a much better place thanks to you.

went to Ottawa Thursday night for the show. Gord looked much better last night than he did on Thursday. In a weird sort of way I am glad they never caught on in the states. I was able to see them play in front of 500 - 1,500 people so many times. You could not do that with any other band. I saw them probably 80 or so times (no clue on the exact number) all over both Canada and the states and they never had a bad show. This tour was special and the shows were really special. They are the greatest band that so few have ever heard of. 30 years together, started playing in front of 20 people and in the mid 90's you could not touch them in Canada. ARA were great tours with the likes of Sheryl Crow and Blues Traveler. They helped so many bands get a start. They are/were the greatest band to ever come out of Canada. Here's hoping Gord does not suffer at the end of his life and that when his time is up that he passes peacefully.

went to Ottawa Thursday night for the show. Gord looked much better last night than he did on Thursday. In a weird sort of way I am glad they never caught on in the states. I was able to see them play in front of 500 - 1,500 people so many times. You could not do that with any other band. I saw them probably 80 or so times (no clue on the exact number) all over both Canada and the states and they never had a bad show. This tour was special and the shows were really special. They are the greatest band that so few have ever heard of. 30 years together, started playing in front of 20 people and in the mid 90's you could not touch them in Canada. ARA were great tours with the likes of Sheryl Crow and Blues Traveler. They helped so many bands get a start. They are/were the greatest band to ever come out of Canada. Here's hoping Gord does not suffer at the end of his life and that when his time is up that he passes peacefully.

Well said.

I thought Gord looked pretty rough after the second encore - needed some help on the stairs. But he certainly rallied for the final encore. I loved his screaming/cry at the end there. You could see he was losing emotional control, and then he just grabbed it back like he was saying, "I don't have time for this."

Have loved the Hip for a long time, and will forever. I really liked what you said about them staying small helped retain that accessibility for us here in the states. My first time seeing them was on a ferry in the harbor down in Burlington. Free tix I won from the local radio station. Seeing them live hooked me forever. Not many other bands in the Canadian music hall of fame would do little gigs like they did. I saw them several more times up here in really small venues. Heck, a friend even got to see them do a combo live show/Q&A from the crowd. I've got the recording of that on my iPod.

Last night was really emotional for me. But I truly loved the show. God I hope the recording got it all. If not, I'm firing Comcast.

IMG_1269.JPG
I totally missed this thread as I tend to only stick to the bball/fball and recruiting forums. Obviously was very tragic news about Gord when it broke and I had decided that I was going to hit one of their shows as well. I've been to numerous shows myself over the years in the US and Canada but hadn't made one the past 10 years since moving to North Carolina. The initial goal was the Kingston finale with it being closest to my parents house and final show in their hometown, but with it also being the last show in the smallest venue it was virtually impossible unless you had some pretty good connections.

I was lucky enough to get a good seat for the Sunday Toronto show and was going to meet my buddy up there. My flight was getting in around 7pm on Friday so we got a little greedy and tried getting tiks for the Friday as well. After researching about the releasing of tickets my buddy who was meeting me there hopped in line that morning and eventually after a couple hours in line scored 2 center floor seats about 20 rows back for Friday as well. Ofcourse my plane was late after being stuck on runway at LGA for about 3 hours on way up but eventually I got to the hotel and sprinted to the show. Simply incredible. It was amazing and very emotional seeing their last 2 shows in Toronto (Bobcaygeon for the last time in Toronto). I grew up on the border listening to these guys on the radio every day and it is very tragic that it will most likely be all over for them as one. "No dress rehearsal, This is our life"

I can't pretend to have been a big fan or anything like that but Scared is one of my all time favorite songs. Is that the super-obvious song that most people know? Even if it is, I don't care, it's an amazing song. I wish I had seen the last show, it must have been such a night of raw, beautiful emotion.

RIP Gord Downie, and condolences to his family, bandmates. A tough day for many Canadians as well who revered the band.

Thankfully he was able to have one last live tour before being taken away by cancer.