RIP Hal Greer | Syracusefan.com

RIP Hal Greer

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

The Philadelphia 76ers organization mourns the passing of Hal Greer, an NBA champion, Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Famer and team legend. Throughout his 15-year career with the Syracuse Nationals and Philadelphia 76ers, Greer solidified his place as one of the greatest basketball players ever. An NBA champion in 1967 and 10-time NBA All-Star, Greer’s legacy includes being the 76ers’ all-time leader in points, field goals, field goals attempted, games and minutes played, culminating in him being named one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History in 1996.

That ‘67 Sixers team is right up there with the best ever. Hal Greer, Walli Jones, Chet Walker, Luke Jackson, and Wilt, with Billy Cunningham as the 6th man. They started 45-4, and then Wilt got bored.

I don’t have the Nats connection many of you do, but Hal Greer is still my favorite Sixer.

The Philadelphia 76ers organization mourns the passing of Hal Greer, an NBA champion, Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Famer and team legend. Throughout his 15-year career with the Syracuse Nationals and Philadelphia 76ers, Greer solidified his place as one of the greatest basketball players ever. An NBA champion in 1967 and 10-time NBA All-Star, Greer’s legacy includes being the 76ers’ all-time leader in points, field goals, field goals attempted, games and minutes played, culminating in him being named one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History in 1996.

That ‘67 Sixers team is right up there with the best ever. Hal Greer, Walli Jones, Chet Walker, Luke Jackson, and Wilt, with Billy Cunningham as the 6th man. They started 45-4, and then Wilt got bored.

I don’t have the Nats connection many of you do, but Hal Greer is still my favorite Sixer.
The Sixers of that era were a huge part of my youth. Finally, in '67, we beat Boston......and Auerbach.

Mine too. Followed closely by Billy Gabor, Larry Costello and Dolph Schayes - in no particular order.
for a brief moment lee shafer was in the spotlight, and in the end we added chet the jet, gambee. -- i was heart broken when they left i was 15 or 16.
funny, how back in the day you could take a bus or even walk downtown (tipp hill}and over to the war memorial with out a worry in the world.
hal was always my favorite, followed by schayes and costello

Sad to hear this. He was an outstanding player in the NBA. His daughter Cherie was a 3-time 1st team AA in lacrosse for UVa.

for a brief moment lee shafer was in the spotlight, and in the end we added chet the jet, gambee. -- i was heart broken when they left i was 15 or 16.
funny, how back in the day you could take a bus or even walk downtown (tipp hill}and over to the war memorial with out a worry in the world.
hal was always my favorite, followed by schayes and costello
If I remember correctly, Dave Gambee shot free throws underhand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom