rip james "kamala the ugandan giant" harris | Syracusefan.com

rip james "kamala the ugandan giant" harris

moqui

generational talent
Kamala passes away

in the early 80s, he was a monster heel in the territories, but devolved into jobber to the stars in wwf/e

I read that his death was due to COVID.

wonder why that wasn’t on the WWE’s official release...

I read that his death was due to COVID.

wonder why that wasn’t on the WWE’s official release...
donald-trump-vince-mcmahon.jpg.cf.jpg

Kamala passes away

in the early 80s, he was a monster heel in the territories, but devolved into jobber to the stars in wwf/e

He was a bit more than a jobber in the WWE.

He worked a number of matches with Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant between 1984-1987. That was his peak, but he also did a pretty big program with the Undertaker in the early 90's, and wrestled Hogan again in the main event of some PPV in WCW.

There was however a period in the early 90s where he was more of a comedy character in the WWE that I remember.

He was a bit more than a jobber in the WWE.

he never won any of those big feuds you mention. build heat and then lose - that's the definition of jtts, jobber to the stars

compare that to his runs in the territories, where he was a true monster heel

he never won any of those big feuds you mention. build heat and then lose - that's the definition of jtts, jobber to the stars

compare that to his runs in the territories, where he was a true monster heel

I guess it's just a different definition we have, because we agree on how he was ultimately used -- like most of the heel monsters in the WWF 80s.

I equate jobber to the stars more as enhancement talent that never reaches anywhere close to main event status... especially back in the Superstars of Wrestling Era of the mid 80's to early 90s. I am thinking more of the Lombardi, Horowitz, Mike Sharpe type guys, or Koko B Ware at the next level.

Back in the mid to late 80s though almost every heavyweight heel in the WWE was in the position you describe -- get a big push and then lose to Hogan.

The only heels to have sustained run at the top in mid 80s in the singles division might be Randy Savage? Maybe Honky Tonk Man with the IC Title?

EDIT - You can also Roddy Piper to the list -- never let himself get exposed.

Last edited:
I didn't realize he was that old he had some great matches against the Undertaker.

I guess it's just a different definition we have, because we agree on how he was ultimately used -- like most of the heel monsters in the WWF 80s.

I equate jobber to the stars more as enhancement talent that never reaches anywhere close to main event status... especially back in the Superstars of Wrestling Era of the mid 80's to early 90s. I am thinking more of the Lombardi, Horowitz, Mike Sharpe type guys, or Koko B Ware at the next level.

Back in the mid to late 80s though almost every heavyweight heel in the WWE was in the position you describe -- get a big push and then lose to Hogan.

The only heels to have sustained run at the top in mid 80s in the singles division might be Randy Savage? Maybe Honky Tonk Man with the IC Title?

EDIT - You can also Roddy Piper to the list -- never let himself get exposed.

Maybe Ted Dibiase? He was always able to remain credible enough.

Maybe Ted Dibiase? He was always able to remain credible enough.
jake the snake, rick rude

true, nobody but savage ever elevated to the ultimate title, but lots of vince's classic heels were allowed to hold belts

except those monster heels he brought in from the territories. kamala, bundy, vader - all won multiple belts at promotions literally all over the world. but the only thing vince found them useful for was jobbing to the huckster or the ultimate steroid

true, nobody but savage ever elevated to the ultimate title, but lots of vince's classic heels were allowed to hold belts

except those monster heels he brought in from the territories. kamala, bundy, vader - all won multiple belts at promotions literally all over the world. but the only thing vince found them useful for was jobbing to the huckster or the ultimate steroid

Good calls. It’s too bad Jake and Rude never got a shot at Hogan.

Mr. Perfect is probably another, and he actually had a little angle with Hogan.

Vader...smh. So misused.

One Man Gang and Big "Bubba" Bossman as well in the same vein

Another heel that did stay near the top was Mr Wonderful for his WWF run, but he had to retire early due to an arm injury or something (which he then came back from)

Surprised Vince never landed Abdullah the Butcher. Him I found terrifying. Kamala I kind of found as a joke. But it was cool to read the stories about how much all the guys liked him backstage. Saying it was always more fun when he was there.

Surprised Vince never landed Abdullah the Butcher. Him I found terrifying. Kamala I kind of found as a joke. But it was cool to read the stories about how much all the guys liked him backstage. Saying it was always more fun when he was there.
abdullah was just too brutal for saturday morning post-cartoon audience vince was cultivating. same with bruiser brody, who had a brief showing in the old wwwf in the 70s but to whom vince never returned

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom