RIP Louie Orr | Syracusefan.com

RIP Louie Orr

I see nothing here, but heard this morning from a Georgetown alum that Louis Orr died last night. Can anyone else corroborate?
He hasn’t been on the bench at Georgetown, but still listed as an employee at the university.

Nothing on the Georgetown basketball forum.

This alum has a source inside their program. Feeling like this is legit, but can't find any confirmation.

He hasn’t been on the bench at Georgetown, but still listed as an employee at the university.
He’s now on the basketball administration side. Boeheim mentioned it in an interview. Louie is one of my favorite former players. He looked so frail yet played so tenaciously. Averaged 13 points and 8 rebounds, 56% fg%, 77%ft% over his 4 years here. You wondered how he did it but he was a monster on the glass for his size and so effective with Rosie Bouie. A real gentleman in person. In fact Hoya fans were saying that he was missed on the bench against SU - that he was the reason the past few years they had success against us in attacking our zone. Played 8 years for the NY Knicks. Praying that the source noted is wrong and that he’s okay.

He’s now on the basketball administration side. Boeheim mentioned it in an interview. Louie is one of my favorite former players. He looked so frail yet played so tenaciously. Averaged 13 points and 8 rebounds, 56% fg%, 77%ft% over his 4 years here. You wondered how he did it but he was a monster on the glass for his size and so effective with Rosie Bouie. A real gentleman in person. In fact Hoya fans were saying that he was missed on the bench against SU - that he was the reason the past few years they had success against us in attacking our zone. Played 8 years for the NY Knicks. Praying that the source noted is wrong and that he’s okay.
Oh no! RIP Louie! Loved ya!

Even though he wasn't a great recruiter, he was such a terrific assistant coach. Used to love watching him up at Manley when I used to attend practices regularly.

He took a completely raw athlete in Etan Thomas, who didn't have a clue about footwork, or any discernible basketball skills other than using his raw athleticism to dunk / make blocks, and worked with him every day after practice to teach him the fundamentals of playing inside on both sides of the ball. And at 6-9, he could match up with Etan. After a year of those lessons, Etan was exponentially improved as a sophomore. It was fun to watch. That's right -- I chalk 95% of Etan's development into an NBA prospect on the 1-on-1 work he did with Louis Orr.

Terrific guy. Sucks to see that.

Oh no! RIP Louie! Loved ya!
It has been a tough week and this is the toughest news of all.

This hits home hard.

Louie was in my class at Syracuse. When I first got a look at him, I was pretty shocked at his appearance. Syracuse has had lots of skinny forwards over the years but I am not sure anyone was ever skinnier than Louis.

He was born with a bad body but a great basketball mind. One of our smartest players and this was the case from day one. He was really good even as a true frosh.

Weird looking shot, super narrow shoulders, almost no bulk. But he competed under the boards, somehow got his hands on rebounds in traffic with stronger guys and held on to the ball. Very tough kid.

Seemed to always make the right decision, whether it was setting a pick, passing or shooting, whether to contest a shot or try and draw a charge. It was inevitable that he become a coach.

Amazing he had a great career at Syracuse and even more amazing that he also had a long career in the NBA.

Louis was one of those guys I loved to watch play and admired greatly. He got more out of what he had to work with than any other player I have ever seen at Syracuse.

RIP Louis. Condolences to his friends and family. We Syracuse fans will never forget what you did for our program as a player and later as a coach.

10047A5F-5250-4A02-8BD9-DE8E254C2894.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom