Rip me for being nostalgic | Syracusefan.com

Rip me for being nostalgic

44cuse

All Conference
...but seeing Boise St, SMU, SDSU, Tulane, Houston, and Navy in the Big East absolutely freaking sucks.

I get it that it's the right move for us. But wow does that blow.

Somewhere Marco Baldi, Sean Kerins, and Grady Mateen are shaking their heads. You know, from when basketball actually mattered.

Wake the ...it's a different world. That's I keep saying to myself.

44cuse

Really, I think the worst part for BE teams is the instability. None of these football schools are committed to the BE (and for good reason). If there was stability, while it would not be ideal, at least some rivalries could develop and there are actually some great road trip destinations for fans. However, the instability makes that moot...since no one knows what it will look like tomorrow. Apparently, the current BCS status of the BE is attractive enough for these teams to use the BE as a way station until stability returns and the music stops.

I think for the sake of stability, if the Big East really wants DI football they need to be satisfied with MAC level ball and get back to geographic integrity. Build around UCONN, UMASS, Buffalo and Temple in the north and USF, UCF and ECU in the south. Won't command the same TV dollars that the projected BE will but its unlikely any of those schools would be going anywhere else for a long time.

I think for the sake of stability, if the Big East really wants DI football they need to be satisfied with MAC level ball and get back to geographic integrity. Build around UCONN, UMASS, Buffalo and Temple in the north and USF, UCF and ECU in the south. Won't command the same TV dollars that the projected BE will but its unlikely any of those schools would be going anywhere else for a long time.

Makes sense. But need to change the name to LittleEAST.

...but seeing Boise St, SMU, SDSU, Tulane, Houston, and Navy in the Big East absolutely freaking sucks.

Somewhere Marco Baldi, Sean Kerins, and Grady Mateen are shaking their heads. You know, from when basketball actually mattered.

44cuse

This is how I felt, and what I started saying to myself, back in 2003/2004.

As we played this lame duck Big East season, I kept saying to myself, what is taking so long to get us out of here.

44cuse

when I was a kid, I used to hang out at St. John's athletic facilities with my cousin who played Lax there.

Got all the Johnnies hoops team autographs every year from '84 - '87 or so.

Marco Baldi was the one guy I remember being a douche about it.

As an aside, Walter Berry, Mark Jackson and Willie Glass were awesome to me.

44cuse

It's really worse than that:

Cin loses UL as a partner: their new partner is Memphis.

UConn's loses RU as a partner: their new partner is Temple.

The Catholic BB schools lose ND: huge loss for them.

And the loss of RU as a large state school near NYC is simply going to change the perception of this grouping: UConn is really isolated at this point.

Terms of geography:

Houston, SMU, Tulane
UConn, Temple, ECU
Navy in 2015 (?)
USF and UCF
Cin, Memphis
BSU and SDSU

UConn, USF, Temple, UCF, ECU, San Diego, Boise, SMU, Houston, Navy, Memphis, Cinc. ... all have one foot out the door (for those who actually get in the door) feeling around for some firm ground. I find it highly likely all will be out within 3 years.

In the end, the football schools in the BE merged with the ACC and the NNNBE is really a wait list league. The more things change, the more they stay the same, with endless positioning and no real change, with the only winners being the printers and graphics designers with the contracts for new letterhead. SU is in a good place but the process seems overly painful. Perhaps it's how the media wanted the process to go in order to keep it...exciting.

The ACC is becoming the Big East while the Big East is becoming Conferecne USA.

It might help if they would jsut drop the BCS and pair teams in the bowls based on their rankings, regardless of conference. That way schools wouldn't join a conference that makes no geographic sense just to drink from the BCS trough.

Doomsday scenario for UConn:

-BBall schools split
-Boise, SD St stay MWC
-SMU, Houston, Tulane stay CUSA
-Navy stays Indy
-FB left overs add UMass, Marshall to become an all sports league of

UMass
UConn
Temple
Marhsall
Cincy
Memphis
ECU
UCF
USF

That would kill UConn BBall.

-BBall schools split
-Boise, SD St stay MWC
-Navy stays Indy

UMass
UConn
Temple
Marhsall
Cincy
Memphis
ECU
UCF
USF

Oh, I'd say we're pretty much there now.

One bourbon, one scotch and one beer.

I look at it this way. Imagine we were in the big east and kicked out Temple, Uconn, ru and cincy and the basketball schools and added NC, NCS, FSU, Duke, Wake, GT, Clemson and Virginia.

-BBall schools split
-Boise, SD St stay MWC
-Navy stays Indy

UMass
UConn
Temple
Marhsall
Cincy
Memphis
ECU
UCF
USF

If the basketball schools split, Uconn should go with the hoops schools and join the MAC for football for a couple of years or play as an independent.

The ACC is becoming the Big East while the Big East is becoming Conferecne USA.

It might help if they would jsut drop the BCS and pair teams in the bowls based on their rankings, regardless of conference. That way schools wouldn't join a conference that makes no geographic sense just to drink from the BCS trough.
the old acc merged with the old big east. i don't think of them as less acc just because they lost maryland.

they still have 6 of the 8 original and 8 of the 9 1991 schools.

those 8 schools plus Miami Pitt BC Syracuse Va Tech ND and Louisville. 8 to 7.

This seems ok with me, I think lots of people are just so used to being scared about realignment (not you SWC, i'm just talking generally)

It's too bad UMD isn't a part of it but if you asked me a long time ago, this would be the best case.

If the basketball schools split, Uconn should go with the hoops schools and join the MAC for football for a couple of years or play as an independent.
2 of their 3 bowl wins were against the MAC. they can relive their glory years.

This is how I felt, and what I started saying to myself, back in 2003/2004.

As we played this lame duck Big East season, I kept saying to myself, what is taking so long to get us out of here.

Yeah, I'm with you. And it started for me back when we started playing DePaul, USF, etc. I'm sure I'll get over it, but it still sucks to think about how great the BE was back in the day. Things change.

Crappy football conference ruined a great hoops conference.

44cuse

It's really worse than that:

Cin loses UL as a partner: their new partner is Memphis.

UConn's loses RU as a partner: their new partner is Temple.

The Catholic BB schools lose ND: huge loss for them.

And the loss of RU as a large state school near NYC is simply going to change the perception of this grouping: UConn is really isolated at this point.

Terms of geography:

Houston, SMU, Tulane
UConn, Temple, ECU
Navy in 2015 (?)
USF and UCF
Cin, Memphis
BSU and SDSU

Exactly the point. COmpletely ridiculous.

44cuse

the old acc merged with the old big east. i don't think of them as less acc just because they lost maryland.

That is essentially the way the rational part of me looks at it. But woke up this AM thinking about basketball games (old school) and what it was like then. We lose that...but $%^ happens I guess.

44cuse

Don't be surprised if Boise St. and SDSU (perhaps 1 or 2 other expected newbies) don't come to Big East now. The idea was for them to get into a football BCS conference. Won't be anyone good left in conference, assuming it even survives at all. Why go cross-country for that?

they still have 6 of the 8 original and 8 of the 9 1991 schools.

those 8 schools plus Miami Pitt BC Syracuse Va Tech ND and Louisville. 8 to 7.

This seems ok with me, I think lots of people are just so used to being scared about realignment (not you SWC, i'm just talking generally)

It's too bad UMD isn't a part of it but if you asked me a long time ago, this would be the best case.

The only issue is: We no longer have a Big Six conferences. Will we wind up with a Big 5 or will it be a Big 4? If it's the latter, that it's the ACC vs. the Big 12 in a death match.

It's true... after 2003, it all went to and it is an absolute shame. Deep down, I don't like the fact that our schedule isn't WVU, Pitt, BC, Miami, VT, Rutgers, Temple every year. Kinda blows, but ya gotta move on. :(

It's a shame that the northeast isn't represented by a major conference when it's still the most populous section of the country. But that population meant TV markets that other conferences lusted for.

If I had a magic wand, I'd re-create the Big East as a northeastern FB conference, (BC, UCONN, Rutgers, Temple, Army, Navy, Syracuse, Penn State, Pitt and West Virginia). Leave the ACC a mid-Atlantic/southern coastal conference. The SEC, Big 10 and Pac 12 would reutrn to their traditonal line-up. Recreate the Big 8 and the SWC and reunite the WAC and Mountain West. Stick Notre Dame in one of those conferences for all sports- preferably the Big East. Then have an 8 team playoff of the champions of each conference. But that would make too much sense.