RIP Olivia de Havilland | Syracusefan.com

RIP Olivia de Havilland

The end of an era. i grew up on Errol Flynn films and always enjoyed her intelligent performances in those and other films. She won two Oscars but making the impossibly good Melanie Wilkes seem human may have been her greatest accomplishment. But I'll always remember the 8 films she made with Flynn, including the last one, "They Died With Their Boots On', in which they played General and Libby Custer. This was their last scene together in that film and in their careers and they knew it when they filmed it, giving it a depth a depth it would not otherwise have had, (Olivia was moving on to films starring herself at this point). The general is going on his last campaign and they both have a feeling that that is what it will turn out to be.

Olivia outlived Errol by 61 years. A few years back, I tried to think of the number of pre-war Hollywood stars who were still alive. At that time I came up with 4: the DeHavilland sisters, (Olivia and Joan Fontaine) and the two famous child stars, Mickey Rooney and Shirley Temple. Now they are all gone.

The end of an era. i grew up on Errol Flynn films and always enjoyed her intelligent performances in those and other films. She won two Oscars but making the impossibly good Melanie Wilkes seem human may have been her greatest accomplishment. But I'll always remember the 8 films she made with Flynn, including the last one, "They Died With Their Boots On', in which they played General and Libby Custer. This was their last scene together in that film and in their careers and they knew it when they filmed it, giving it a depth a depth it would not otherwise have had, (Olivia was moving on to films starring herself at this point). The general is going on his last campaign and they both have a feeling that that is what it will turn out to be.

Olivia outlived Errol by 61 years. A few years back, I tried to think of the number of pre-war Hollywood stars who were still alive. At that time I came up with 4: the DeHavilland sisters, (Olivia and Joan Fontaine) and the two famous child stars, Mickey Rooney and Shirley Temple. Now they are all gone.
She was my first childhood crush, watching her as Maid Marian in The Adventures of Robin Hood. I watched it over and over on Videotape (I mean, the whole movie, cast...everything, really was amazing!). I feel like another little piece of my childhood has also passed. A sad day...

She was my first childhood crush, watching her as Maid Marian in The Adventures of Robin Hood. I watched it over and over on Videotape (I mean, the whole movie, cast...everything, really was amazing!). I feel like another little piece of my childhood has also passed. A sad day...

That was a fun movie. I've watched it a few times. I always liked Flynn.

If you've never seen this ...loosely based on Flynn's characters in his swashbuckling films, it's worth watching. Peter O'Toole is great in the film.

My Favorite Year (1982) - IMDb

That was a fun movie. I've watched it a few times. I always liked Flynn.

If you've never seen this ...loosely based on Flynn's characters in his swashbuckling films, it's worth watching. Peter O'Toole is great in the film.

My Favorite Year (1982) - IMDb

That's a lot of fun, especially if you are also a Sid Caesar fan, as I am.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom