RIP Ron Franklin | Syracusefan.com

RIP Ron Franklin

Obviously don't watch all the way through, but I always think of his "Wait a minute!"

Ron Franklin and Adrian Karsten were spectacular together. Back when college football was slightly less corrupt than today. RIP
Adrian Karsten was a name I hadn't thought of for awhile. Just googled him - what a sad ending for him.

Ron Franklin and Adrian Karsten were spectacular together. Back when college football was slightly less corrupt than today. RIP
Mike Gottfried was his color commentator. Karaten was the sideline guy. It was a great crew and they talked about the game at hand, not the Big 12 race, not the CFB Playoff Poll, not previewing the game next week, not the Heisman race. It was about the 3.5-hour game they were covering that Saturday Night. ESPN has lost that. Every ESPN game is used to promote the NEXT game. RIP Ron Franklin. He was really talented in what really was a true golden age of college football, when there were no pre-ordained programs or conferences to cater to.

Adrian Karsten was a name I hadn't thought of for awhile. Just googled him - what a sad ending for him.
Very sad. I still remember when he walked on roof of Carrier Dome. I think that was the Freeney 4.5 sack game. Haven’t had an atmosphere like that in 20 years.

Always enjoyed his broadcasts. Helped our games have a big time feel. RIP Ron.

That could be the greatest comeback that wasn’t. I remember being at that game getting our butts whipped and WHAM.

Helluva fourth quarter.

There were many great times in the 90s.

There were also some gut punches in the Dome against power teams where we weren't favored but were oh so close to pulling it out. Miami 1992, Oklahoma 1994, Tennessee 1998, Michigan 1999.

I don't know how I'd rank them, but I can still remember, from the student section, seeing the refs put their arms up to signal that OU FG was good and just being devastated.

There were also some gut punches in the Dome against power teams where we weren't favored but were oh so close to pulling it out. Miami 1992, Oklahoma 1994, Tennessee 1998, Michigan 1999.

I don't know how I'd rank them, but I can still remember, from the student section, seeing the refs put their arms up to signal that OU FG was good and just being devastated.
Oklahoma game had the stupid celebration penalty on the game tying TD. I think that was year 1 of that rule. I can't remember how egregious it was but a better coach has that new rule drilled into the team's head. I think that rule was in response to the U but also was another subjective penalty that could be used as a tool to protect the blue bloods. I remember a Vandy/Florida game during Cutler's senior year where they called a celebration penalty on the guy that caught the tying TD and they had to show it in slow motion to pick it up. McDonough was doing the game and was livid. It took away the opportunity for Vandy to go for 2 and win it right there. The kicked the XP and predictably lost to the more talented Gators in OT.

1) Miami because it was Miami.
2) Tennessee (could easy be #1)
3) Probably some Va Tech game I choose not to remember (not Vick/Freeney)
4) Oklahoma

Michigan was sloppy. Close but not a gut punch. But I bet I am forgetting a key element there.

1) Miami because it was Miami.
2) Tennessee (could easy be #1)
3) Probably some Va Tech game I choose not to remember (not Vick/Freeney)
4) Oklahoma

Michigan was sloppy. Close but not a gut punch. But I bet I am forgetting a key element there.

The only VT loss in the Dome was that Vick/Freeney battle. That was kind of a gut punch too with us scoring 14 early, then Nunes falling down in our end zone and throwing the ball straight up in the air for an INT. And Vick finally getting free for a long run to seal the deal. I was accustomed to beating them though, and we got revenge in Blacksburg in 2001. Righted the Dome ship in 2002.

Michigan sucked because of Nunes (sensing a theme) backing all that way into the end zone and getting the safety. Without it, we're kicking a FG on that final drive and going to overtime. Madei was outplaying him that day. Just would have been cool to beat Michigan in the Dome. And Tom Brady who no one guessed at that time would become Tom Brady. I think everyone thought Drew Henson would become Tom Brady.

Last edited:
If this theme song for a 90s ESPN primetime college football game featuring a ranked SU team with Ron Franklin on the call doesn't warm your soul, we have nothing in common.

Good god that theme is so bleeping good.

Sucks ESPN can’t use that.

We’ve been bad for so long, I lost track of him.

That Oklahoma game was the first one I can remember watching in full on TV. I recall bits and pieces of earlier games (Aloha Bowl & Fiesta Bowl come to mind, along with a few regular season Marvin Graves games), but 1994 was when I became a big-time fan. Maybe due to age (born in '81, everything before '94 is a bit fuzzy), but probably because I got my own TV that year in my room. Watched almost every game that season and ever since, really. But the Oklahoma game was what really started off this roller coaster ride of SU football fandom.

Oklahoma game had the stupid celebration penalty on the game tying TD. I think that was year 1 of that rule. I can't remember how egregious it was but a better coach has that new rule drilled into the team's head. I think that rule was in response to the U but also was another subjective penalty that could be used as a tool to protect the blue bloods. I remember a Vandy/Florida game during Cutler's senior year where they called a celebration penalty on the guy that caught the tying TD and they had to show it in slow motion to pick it up. McDonough was doing the game and was livid. It took away the opportunity for Vandy to go for 2 and win it right there. The kicked the XP and predictably lost to the more talented Gators in OT.
I know people make a big deal about the celebration but we had them at 4th and 13 at their own 25. That was the deflating play that i remember.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom