RIP Willetta Spease | Syracusefan.com

RIP Willetta Spease

Sounds like FLJ received much of her coaching acumen throughout HS from coach Spease, establishing a foundation for Jack that would make her one of the best women's college coaches.

Winning wherever she went most recently at Buffalo she puts character first and after reading the article about Willeta got some truly great life lessons from her about how to be as a human being and basketball player.

Perhaps that's the source of CAB that is so prevalent in everything FLJ does with her BB players and in recruiting them now for SU. You have to be a very good person, work very hard in school and the basketball court and maybe if you can do all three you'll get rewarded and be able to feel good about who you are and become successful at what you do in life.

Mrs. Pease is to be congratulated for making so much of a difference in young women's lives. 408 - 63 she was THE GOAT in HS basketball in NYS.

Prayers for Mrs. Pease and her family.

“As a kid you kind of say, ‘Wow, she’s really tough.’ But as a coach now myself, I get it. You want somebody to tell you the truth. She was a truth-teller. That’s what kids don’t get anymore. Everybody wants a trophy. You didn’t get trophies if you didn’t earn them with her.

She retired from coaching when I was a junior I think, and I don't remember her still teaching gym when I was there, but her presence sure loomed large. A real generational star not just on the faculty but in the community.

I started in 1990 and she was my first gym teacher there.

I had older siblings she knew and she always challenged us to work hard in each of our sports (despite none of us playing hoops).

Great lady. And that was a great article!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom