Rivalry Week | Syracusefan.com

Rivalry Week

smmCUSE

Walk On
Assuming, as we're lined up before Duke/UNC for so called "Rivalry Week", does ESPN, ACC, et al., consider Pittsburgh to be our new "rival" in the ACC? Even though I hope I am wrong, I believe Duke/Syracuse will never be anything more than just ancillary rivals (with you know, the whole North Carolina thing) and assuming we do not pick up a long term series with Georgetown... is this what we get? I for one do not consider Pittsburgh a rival, and would rather not consider it going forward, either.

I think when all is said and done they will try to make Louisville our rival. They are going with Pitt right now because they are the other Big East team to just join the league.

I don't think they will try to sell Georgetown as our rival anymore. At least not for "rivalry week" unless we agree to play Georgetown either year and we make it a late season non-conference game. We don't seem to play any of those late in season non-conference games like some teams do so probably not unless ESPN was party to the agreement to play us on a long term basis.

Agreed. I am hoping as such. Resonating with Coach K's and his philosophy on what makes a great rivalry, I do not respect Jamie Dixon, Pitt enough to put them at a comparable level that would be considered "rivalry."

Pitino on the other hand, love him or hate him... he is a Hall of Famer.

Pitt will never be more than a "conference rival" to me - no different than playing BC or UNC. As OFGDC pointed out, I just dont respect them enough. Louisville and Pitino on the other hand, I do have respect for.

I'm not even sure Pitt actually plays basketball, I just assumed I was watching MMA on a basketball court when they are on TV.

I see rivals changing to pitt-Virginia next year with Syracuse-louisville

It's SU-Louisville all the way.

There will be 4 major ACC programs starting next year. 2 of them are clearly forever intertwined, and the other 2 have a nice recent history that is developing into a rivalry already.

No other conference can offer up 2 rivalries that can match these.

Yup. The Louisville cousins agree. It's SU/Louisville. But - from now on and for the next few years while Coach K and Coach B are coaching, Duke and Syracuse will be an intense rivalry. They're just too arrogant to admit it.

It'll be Louisville going forward. It has to be, and it makes the most sense for both programs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom