Roberson, etc. | Syracusefan.com

Roberson, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lil Rick

If TR isn't good enough to make a court appearance at HOME vs. a 6-19 BC team... (even when we were up 13) or if JB can't provide a different dimension w/ Patterson shooting 3s for a few minutes (when we can't make a shot to save our lives), then we will continue a downward spiral of poor play, and likely bow out in the 1st/2nd round of the NCAAs. JB can keep the 6 man rotation, but if the offense shoots 32-35% the rest of the way, at least try someone else, if nothing more than to give the starters a breather. Heck, Fair put up 2-3 airballs v NCSU, and now a paltry 7-23 tonight... give the kid a breather, or let someone else shoot if he's tired.

Next, there is absolutely no offensive scheme out there -- tired legs or not. I've never seen such ineptitude in all the years of watching SU. Even last year's team wasn't this bad consistently on offense. More than anything this is the cause of our tight games.

But the offense can't take all the blame completely... while JBs zone is allowing 58 pts a game, that's largely due to a slow-tempo n fewer possessions -- not because it's mesmerizing teams. Yes, it's been good for many games, but it's also the reason why 1-19 Cornell was up 14 pts on us in the opener, or why Nova bolted out to an 18 pt cushion, or why Duke got WIDE open 3pt looks. If you give anyone open looks, whether it says Duke or St. Mary's reform school on their jersey... and those kids can shoot, you need you be able to play m2m and stop the open looks when need be... MAKE THE ADJUSTMENT... which again comes back to JB not subbing, and refusal to try anything different than a zone. No excuse to allow BC open 3 pt shot after open 3 pt shot, especially late in the game. A good coach would've made the proper adjustments by now, or at have least tried to, after the clunker performances continue against run-of-the-mill, or sub-par competition.

I just hope they can save face v. Duke this weekend and at least keep the game close and forget about tonight.

One of the worst posts ever. We had difficulty scoring the basketball at the end of last year - check out the Gtown games. But our de was amazing in the NCAA Tournament and we made the FF4. Anyone who claims JB is not even a good coach is a pathetic poster - simple as that!

Silent G needs to shoot more. He is a better shooter then everyone on the team minus cooney.

Name calling of other posters will not be tolerated
Silent G needs to shoot more. He is a better shooter then everyone on the team minus cooney.

Ennis needs to shoot more as well. I probably yelled SHOOT THE BALL 4 times tonight.

OP, you're an idiot, TR had zero effect in the outcome of this game. Get a life.

Because man to man defense doesn't give up open 3's. Oh wait..it does. We lost because we didn't make shots, or FT's down the stretch.

over the course of a season is missed. Boeheim is a great coach, but this is a shortcoming. Contrast Coach K who instituted mass substitutions, 5 at a time, and will thus have 10 players ready to go come tournament time.

This thread is going to be good.

It's alarming to me we cannot get top recruits to see the court. That's all I'm going to say about that.

I think the thing missing from this team is the transition game. BC had a lot of turnovers and we did have double digit points off of them but Cuse seems to take the turn overs and get in the half court set whereas last year (and even early this year) they would just go to the rim. It's good the D slows down the opponents shooting/possessions, but I think Cuse should do themselves a favor and score those quicker.

But the offense can't take all the blame completely... while JBs zone is allowing 58 pts a game, that's largely due to a slow-tempo n fewer possessions -- not because it's mesmerizing teams. Yes, it's been good for many games, but it's also the reason why 1-19 Cornell was up 14 pts on us in the opener, or why Nova bolted out to an 18 pt cushion, or why Duke got WIDE open 3pt looks. If you give anyone open looks, whether it says Duke or St. Mary's reform school on their jersey... and those kids can shoot, you need you be able to play m2m and stop the open looks when need be... MAKE THE ADJUSTMENT... which again comes back to JB not subbing, and refusal to try anything different than a zone. No excuse to allow BC open 3 pt shot after open 3 pt shot, especially late in the game. A good coach would've made the proper adjustments by now, or at have least tried to, after the clunker performances continue against run-of-the-mill, or sub-par competition.

Good lord

Possibly worried about the hook. Miss a shot and it's pine time. Boeheims starters exude confidence but the bench guys played scared. Why? Confidence from their coach they won't get yanked out.

Despite being a Hall of Fame coach there are some concerns with JB:

1. Increasingly, he has grown reluctant to change the complexion of the game that is being dictated by the slowed-down/stall techniques employed by the opposition. Historically, JB has been willing to employ some full-court press and half-court traps to disrupt the other teams comfort level. This year he has stubbornly stayed packed away in the zone which has increased the oppositions comfort level within the game and allowed for these close/cardiac results. I'm not proposing a major change in philosophy... just mix it up and don't be so predictable

2. I know JB is known for shortening the bench/rotation as conference play begins... But, his or the coaching staffs inability to develop the players on the bench to provide depth and supplement the starters minutes is alarming... This inability or lack of trust creates a fatigue factor that has implications late in games and in season... Why not bring in a few guys off the bench for some short bursts and employ them to mix up the complexion of the game (press, trap. etc)... I know they're young... But, physiologically your body will lose optimization and ability as you fatigue (in game and cumulatively)

1. Increasingly, he has grown reluctant to change the complexion of the game that is being dictated by the slowed-down/stall techniques employed by the opposition. Historically, JB has been willing to employ some full-court press and half-court traps to disrupt the other teams comfort level. This year he has stubbornly stayed packed away in the zone which has increased the oppositions comfort level within the game and allowed for these close/cardiac results. I'm not proposing a major change in philosophy... just mix it up and don't be so predictable

2. I know JB is known for shortening the bench/rotation as conference play begins... But, his or the coaching staffs inability to develop the players on the bench to provide depth and supplement the starters minutes is alarming... This inability or lack of trust creates a fatigue factor that has implications late in games and in season... Why not bring in a few guys off the bench for some short bursts and employ them to mix up the complexion of the game (press, trap. etc)... I know they're young... But, physiologically your body will lose optimization and ability as you fatigue (in game and cumulatively)

Can't wait to see people try to dispute this.

I don't think it's development so much as just getting floor time. Look at MCW, did he really just get that much better in a year after sitting on the bench that whole year? Was that development from the coaches? To me it is just simple playing time.

If TR isn't good enough to make a court appearance at HOME vs. a 6-19 BC team... (even when we were up 13) or if JB can't provide a different dimension w/ Patterson shooting 3s for a few minutes (when we can't make a shot to save our lives), then we will continue a downward spiral of poor play, and likely bow out in the 1st/2nd round of the NCAAs. JB can keep the 6 man rotation, but if the offense shoots 32-35% the rest of the way, at least try someone else, if nothing more than to give the starters a breather. Heck, Fair put up 2-3 airballs v NCSU, and now a paltry 7-23 tonight... give the kid a breather, or let someone else shoot if he's tired.

Next, there is absolutely no offensive scheme out there -- tired legs or not. I've never seen such ineptitude in all the years of watching SU. Even last year's team wasn't this bad consistently on offense. More than anything this is the cause of our tight games.

I just hope they can save face v. Duke this weekend and at least keep the game close and forget about tonight.
rrlbees - did you let your son get hold of your phone? :D

Maybe, just maybe, the coach knows what his team is capable of, and what it's not. Just sayin'...

Can't wait to see people try to dispute this.
I usually try to avoid the bench questions but I will say this...between Keita, Roberson, Johnson and Patterson...2 if not 3 of them would be starting for BC this season. Add in Gbinije and 3 to 4 of our bench players are better than players starting for BC.

Maybe, just maybe, the coach knows what his team is capable of, and what it's not. Just sayin'...

Or Maybe, just maybe, the coach has become increasingly unwilling to adapt and has become painfully staunch in his philosophy. Just seein' it

Or Maybe, just maybe, the coach has become increasingly unwilling to adapt and has become painfully staunch in his philosophy. Just seein' it
Whatever. I prefer to trust Coach until such time as he proves he can't do it anymore. If you think that time has come, I don't know what to tell you. I'm not seein' it.

Whatever. I prefer to trust Coach until such time as he proves he can't do it anymore. If you think that time has come, I don't know what to tell you. I'm not seein' it.

He can do it and do it well.

He's also not a perfect coach. Some of his weak spots rear their collective head and hurt the team at times. This is one of them.

A team with the talent of Syracuse shouldn't allow a team with the talent of Boston College (or St. Francis or Stanford or Virginia Tech or any of the crap teams who've played us close in recent seasons) to dictate tempo and play the game in its comfort zone.

And if C.J. and Grant are giving us 35/20 on 45% shooting every night, no one cares if our New Jersey player of the year stays on the bench. But when they struggle for long stretches (and play poor defense), it's hard to think the young kid can't help us.

Last edited:
When we were having trouble scoring I made a comment to my friend I went to the game with and told him we would have scored more with a G, Buss, BJ, Roberson, Keita lineup at that point of the game. As insane as it sounds, it might actually be true. Our boys were just not good on the offense side of the ball.

Idk why JB doesn't do that half court trap out of the 2-3 zone... Absolutely baffles teams and would be a great mix up. Just do it a couple times in a half or do it a couple possessions to speed the play up and wake the team up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom