Rogue One | Syracusefan.com

Rogue One

orangenauburn

2023 Cali Award Average Attendance
Early buzz and spoilers indicate this is a legit, great standalone movie that does the franchise proud.

Early indications this will be a monster based off very good early reviews and buzz

I'm stoked to see it

I am hearing different tone than the last one and it sounds like its pretty good , it will do well and still make a ton less than the last one.

There was a large crowd disappointed with last years being not very original. I thought it was well done.

I am hearing different tone than the last one and it sounds like its pretty good , it will do well and still make a ton less than the last one.

There was a large crowd disappointed with last years being not very original. I thought it was well done.

That "crowd" are the same ones whining about the Electoral College and Safe Spaces. They aren't happy with anything. ;)

Die hard here. And my kids (7 & 9) are dying to see it. But for the first time, I'm going to view it alone first. They say the Vader scenes are brutal. One review calls it the Star Wars 'Hamburger Hill'.

Die hard here. And my kids (7 & 9) are dying to see it. But for the first time, I'm going to view it alone first. They say the Vader scenes are brutal. One review calls it the Star Wars 'Hamburger Hill'.

Hamburger Hill, you say? The battle, or the film of the battle starring (well, maybe not starring exactly) Jamesville- DeWitt's own Michael Nickles?!

Hamburger Hill, you say? The battle, or the film of the battle starring (well, maybe not starring exactly) Jamesville- DeWitt's own Michael Nickles?!
Movie of course.

Now that the premiere has happened, I decided to go back to the parents guide on IMDB and it's way tamer. They dropped the Hamburger Hill tag. They also say something about "lots of space ships fighting each other". Really? That's what we've become?
It also says there is little to no blood etc, so not sure why they've been writing for months about the gruesome Vader scenes.

Anyway, can't wait.

ive seen nothing but good to great review here in NYC, I personally cant wait to see it.

I will also go it alone before taking the kids back. that's what I did for the Force Awakens. much better that way. I get to see it with total focus, then go back a few days later with bathroom breaks and popcorn spillage...

Just got back.

O. M.G. So good. So so good.

I can't find many flaws. Acting, cinematography, great characters...everything. It works as a Star Wars flick, a war movie, a heist movie, and an immediate prequel to Star Wars Episode IV. If you don't run home and want to put in the first first movie immediately after watching this, you don't have a soul.

My only complaint* is this is not a 4 or 5 year old kids movie. This is not your ewoks and Chewie and BB-8 kids show. This is an F you up war movie, and it's very dark. It's more "Homeland" and "Saving Private Ryan" than Saturday morning cartoon.

*Complaint because I want to take my older kids and now I can't.

ive seen nothing but good to great review here in NYC, I personally cant wait to see it.

I will also go it alone before taking the kids back. that's what I did for the Force Awakens. much better that way. I get to see it with total focus, then go back a few days later with bathroom breaks and popcorn spillage...

You mean for your first viewing of The Force Awakens, you didn't take your 6 year old who had already seen it the week before but wanted to go again, and then about 3/4 into the movie he ran into the hallway near the emergency exit door yelling that he didn't want to see the part where Han Solo died?

Guess that was just me.

Yeah, probably going to this one solo myself (no pun intended).

My kids have seen all Star Wars movies, with no issue (now 7 & 9). They saw VII in the theater the same time I did. It's Star Wars.

But when you use words like gruesome, Hamburger Hill, etc, I feel like I have to preview it first.

You mean for your first viewing of The Force Awakens, you didn't take your 6 year old who had already seen it the week before but wanted to go again, and then about 3/4 into the movie he ran into the hallway near the emergency exit door yelling that he didn't want to see the part where Han Solo died?

Guess that was just me.

Ha!!

precisely.

I had this conversation last night with my soon to be 6 year old who is a Star Wars nut and has watched the 1st 7 a gazillion times already, not to mention all the Lego (the Lego anythings are good and often damn funny, especially the Justice League ones) and the other Disney Star Wars cartoons ...

'so over Christmas break we can go see the new Star Wars'
'I don't want to, ill wait till we can buy it on demand'
'what?! why don't you want to?'
'too scary'
'how do you know that, you havnt seen it'
'ive seen enough and Darth Vader is back from the dead, too scary.'

I tried to explain the 'story' and how this is in between the last Anakin, the one with the lava lightsaber fight...and before the Death Star one, the one without Lando, but he was having none of it.

hes a wiz on the ipad, probably seen every trailer 100x, hell...hes probably already watched an online bootleg version of it...while I struggle trying to get the dvd player to work.

yeah my friends who just saw it said its more war movie than anything else.. but they all loved it

Guess that was just me.

Hahahaha. That is mortifyingly awesome. Hilarious.

yeah my friends who just saw it said its more war movie than anything else.. but they all loved it
It is. Its equal parts Episode 4, Homeland, Saving Private Ryan, and "Rebels."

In the theater with another 15 minutes to go...

Report back later.

No spoilers...

Fantastic. I could complain about what I felt was missing from a standard Star Wars movie, but I guess it's ok as it isn't one of THE Star Wars movies. Even the acting is pretty good. Great visually, and music is great although not as much a part of the movie as john Williams music is. lots of familiar characters popping up, and lots of hidden gems in the background.

Definitely ok for my kids BTW. Be going again with them this week.

Can't wait to discuss this further.

Chirrut Imwe is one bad mama jama.

I went today with my 7 year old daughter. Saving Private Ryan? You people are insane. Who in their right mind would think any Star Wars movie would ever approach anything remotely close to that?? Good grief. There is more blood from a paper cut than there is in Rogue One! Yes there is more ground fighting but it is closer to the battle on Endor than Platoon.

I thought it was great. K2SO was awesome and even better once I figured out he is played by the same guy who was Steve the Pirate in Dodgeball.

Seriously, it was a great movie and solidified that Disney is serious about doing this franchise right. How about that Tarkin? Good lord seemed real to me! Along with another character I won't mention but I was blown away by the effects of creating them.

I went today with my 7 year old daughter. Saving Private Ryan? You people are insane. Who in their right mind would think any Star Wars movie would ever approach anything remotely close to that?? Good grief. There is more blood from a paper cut than there is in Rogue One! Yes there is more ground fighting but it is closer to the battle on Endor than Platoon.

I thought it was great. K2SO was awesome and even better once I figured out he is played by the same guy who was Steve the Pirate in Dodgeball.

Seriously, it was a great movie and solidified that Disney is serious about doing this franchise right. How about that Tarkin? Good lord seemed real to me! Along with another character I won't mention but I was blown away by the effects of creating them.

Good to hear--planning on taking my six year old daughter this week. Got nervous reading some of the opinions in this thread.

Good to hear--planning on taking my six year old daughter this week. Got nervous reading some of the opinions in this thread.

What I will say is that my daughter was less interested in it than the other movies. She is a big Vader fan (yikes) and she loved the scenes with him, especially one which is especially cool. But she wasn't scared or disturbed by it.

What I will say is that my daughter was less interested in it than the other movies. She is a big Vader fan (yikes) and she loved the scenes with him, especially one which is especially cool. But she wasn't scared or disturbed by it.

Cool--thanks--appreciate the personal perspective.

Saw it yesterday with my 11, 9, and 6 year olds. My 6yo had a sleepover the night before and fell asleep halfway through the movie. My two older kids loved it. It's probably the most violent Star Wars movie but certainly no worse than Avatar or Lord of the Rings.

It was really good. The dialogue and acting felt more like a regular action movie than a Star Wars movie (in a good way) but the plot fits soooo well into the other movies. I was worried about a Star Wars money grab with all of the new movies being planned, but this movie really worked. I highly recommend it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom