Ron Patterson = DeShaun Williams? | Syracusefan.com

Ron Patterson = DeShaun Williams?

Eric15

Living Legend
I'm not talking off-the-court drama, strictly on-the-court.

They're the same size, and appear to have very similar skill sets. Talented inside/outside scorer who LOVES to shoot.

I don't know about that comparison. Their games don't seem that similar to me. Patterson doesn't handle / create like DeShaun, but he does have the same strong physique.

But I suspect that Patterson will be a very solid, consistent player for us by the time he is a junior. Solid program guy--unlike DeShaun.

I compared a player (on-court, not off-court) to McCroskey once and got crucified. Comparing somebody to DeShaun probably won't end well.

I still picture Paul Harris when I see Patterson.

Patterson is known as a very good defensive player. Deshaun was a very good offensive player who drove me nuts with some of his on court play and of course his off court antics. I don't see any resemblance between the two at all.

Does Patterson try to dribble behind his back in the middle of the lane with 4 people around him?

Does his shot look ugly?

Did he bang Shumps GF?

I don't see the comparison and you should ban yourself for one week for thinking of it.

DeSean Williams was cancer.

Did he bang Shumps GF?

I think you accidentally misread the first sentence of my post that specifically said "I'm not talking off-the-court drama" as "hey guys! let's compare and contrast the off-the-court drama of DeShaun Williams and Ron Patterson!"

If I compare a current SU wide receiver's skill set to Tommy Kane's, I'm not saying that receiver is a murderer.

I don't remember all that much about Deshaun to know his game as that was like the first year I started watching all of Cuse's game. But, i always remembered him more of a perimeter guy who tried to put the team on his back.

Not sure I see Patterson ever playing that role but he could develop alot like jr year scoop as a 3rd/4th scoring option as a upperclassmen. Not the same body, but hes going to look to get inside pull up from midrange off a stepback/sidestep. I hope his three point game develops to a scoop level even if he gets nagged on but shoots 40 percent when wide open and capable of hitting big shots late in games. If he becomes a better shooter then that I will be estatic.

Defensive end he will turn into alittle bit of a enigma with those arms if he picks up his lateral quickness to a second gear speed, but that could depend on a change of thinking and hard work in the offseason.

Last edited:
I don't see loving to shoot as much as Deshaun Williams as a good part of a skillset. Our team is too talented at this point to have a player chucking a number of inefficient shots.

I have not seen enough of Ron Patterson to say that is the case - I certainly hope it is a trait or attribute he has. We don't need players loving to shoot bad shots.

I guarantee you DeChuck Williams NEVER passed the ball as well as Pattterson has in this game. He has had some very nice feeds to the post.

But I suspect that Patterson will be a very solid, consistent player for us by the time he is a junior.
by which time he'll be eligible for AARP (he turns 21 next month)

RF2044 said:
I don't know about that comparison. Their games don't seem that similar to me. Patterson doesn't handle / create like DeShaun, but he does have the same strong physique. But I suspect that Patterson will be a very solid, consistent player for us by the time he is a junior. Solid program guy--unlike DeShaun.
I agree. Zero comparison unless he gets someones girlfriend pregnant

Missouri had a guy a few years ago- same hair- all energy, very good player- that's who he reminds me of.

I guarantee you DeChuck Williams NEVER passed the ball

Quoted for truth.

I also have not seen Ron Patterson dribble behind his back yet either.

Look, I get that Ron has yet to see a shot he didn't like, but

no way, no how, williams was selfish, and horrible. we were losing to boston college at home, 63-61 and DW goes 1 on three we lost an went to nit. not a fan of dw, ron is a good kid

some hack fraud 3 years ago compared dion to DW, give me a break

I'm not talking off-the-court drama, strictly on-the-court.

They're the same size, and appear to have very similar skill sets. Talented inside/outside scorer who LOVES to shoot.

F DeShaun Williams!

With one of the worst people associated with the program, it's a little difficult to separate character from talent.

Anyway, I think DeShaun was a lot more offensively skilled and a much worse defender (read: lazier) than Ron.

DeShaun gets deservedly dumped on, but we forget what an offensive talent he was. When disciplined, a very good shooter; good ball-handler; great at getting to the rim and finishing.