Roster Math | Syracusefan.com

Roster Math

Consigliere

Co 2020 Cali Award Winner, Record Thru 5 Games
Trying to reconcile where we stand in terms of available spots going into the second signing period and struggling to figure out the numbers. Both the exhaustive Scholarship Rundown thread from OrangeXtreme and the What's next column on syracuse.com by Stephen Bailey list 60 potential returnees. Bailey doesn't list the players but OrangeXtreme does. I am probably missing something but the two players I don't see are Kevin Mital and Ishmael Goulbourne. Are they still with the program?

OOPS

:confused::oops:

They're on my spreadsheet.

That's better. Now I wonder if Bailey knows something we don't or was he just using your spreadsheet as a baseline? :)

Part of me says, why do we need another lb? We only play 3 anyway.

But that was under Ward. Maybe a new DC approaches the position differently.

Part of me says, why do we need another lb? We only play 3 anyway.

But that was under Ward. Maybe a new DC approaches the position differently.
With Thompson coming in, we only have 6. Not counting Richards toward that number and not factoring where a couple of 'croots (Wax, Barron) end up.

Last edited:
Right now 81 total without any attrition. Currently 19 in the class. 2 (?) of the early enrollees can be assigned to the 2019 class. That would mean still can take 6 more for 2020.
There's no back dating. You can sign 25 total per year

There's no back dating. You can sign 25 total per year
That's what I thought but it isn't totally true.

" A prospective student-athlete who signs a National Letter of Intent or an institutional offer of financial aid or a student-athlete who signs a financial aid agreement that specifies financial aid will be initially provided during the second or third term of the academic year may count toward the limit for that academic year or the limit for the next academic year."

So if they are early enrollees, January, some can count towards the current academic year. If the previous class wasn't completely filled. Then the rest of the kids count towards the Fall academic year.

That's what I thought but it isn't totally true.

" A prospective student-athlete who signs a National Letter of Intent or an institutional offer of financial aid or a student-athlete who signs a financial aid agreement that specifies financial aid will be initially provided during the second or third term of the academic year may count toward the limit for that academic year or the limit for the next academic year."

So if they are early enrollees, January, some can count towards the current academic year. If the previous class wasn't completely filled. Then the rest of the kids count towards the Fall academic year.
That's from the 2017-18 handbook.

I don't have the current 2019-20 rule book in front of me (it's free to download, but not on a 10 year old IPad).

I'll check it out later tonight.

Gimme all six of your 'croots
QB. High School
QB. Transfer
DL. Canadian Leif? Other?
ATH. Washington
OL. Pogo? Leif?
LB. or DL. ???

Look at 13.9.3.3 on page 145.

I can't copy and paste it from the iPad.
13.9.3.3 Limitation on Number of National Letter of Intent/Offer of Financial Aid Signings—Bowl Subdivision Football. [FBS]In bowl subdivision football, there shall be an annual limit of 25 on the number of prospective student-athletes who may sign a National Letter of Intent or an institutional offer of financial aid and student-athletes who may sign a financial aid agreement for the first time. [D] (Adopted: 1/16/10 effective 8/1/10, Revised: 1/14/12 effective 8/1/12, 4/26/17 effective 8/1/17 for signings that occur on or after 8/1/17)

13.9.3.3.1 Application. [FBS]A prospective student-athlete who signs a National Letter of Intent or an institutional offer of financial aid or a student-athlete who signs a financial aid agreement that specifies financial aid will be initially provided in the fall term of an academic year shall count toward the annual limit on signings for that academic year. A prospective student-athlete who signs a National Letter of Intent or an institutional offer of financial aid or a student-athlete who signs a financial aid agreement that speci-fies financial aid will be initially provided during the second or third term of the academic year may count toward the limit for that academic year or the limit for the next academic year. (Adopted: 1/14/12 effective 8/1/12, Revised: 4/26/17 effective 8/1/17 for signings that occur on or after 8/1/17)

13.9.3.3.2 Exception—Agreement After One Year. [FBS]A student-athlete who has been in resi-dence at the certifying institution for at least one academic year may sign a financial aid agreement for the first time without counting toward the annual limit on signings. (Adopted: 4/26/17 effective 8/1/17 for sign-ings that occur on or after 8/1/17, Revised: 4/25/18 effective 8/1/18)

13.9.3.3.3 Exception—Incapacitating Injury or Illness. [FBS]A prospective student-athlete or stu-dent-athlete who, prior to participation in athletically related activities, becomes injured or ill to the point that he or she apparently never again will be able to participate in intercollegiate athletics shall not count toward the institution’s annual limit on signings. (Adopted: 4/26/17 effective 8/1/17 for signings that occur on or after 8/1/17)13.10

That's from the 2017-18 handbook.

I don't have the current 2019-20 rule book in front of me (it's free to download, but not on a 10 year old IPad).

I'll check it out later tonight.
Well looks like both you and I have both been straightened out on the numbers. ;)